Anyone Migrated from LR to Capture One or DXO?

Hi!

Since I went through hell with LR6 not starting up recently, I thought now is the time to consider re-assessing what I use. I was thinking about 3 options: A) Upgrade to latest LR + PS CC, B) switch to subscription or licensed Capture One, or C) Switch to DXO PhotoLabs.

I'd love to hear from those who have done a switch to a different product, especially relative to what I use it for...

So, I have (now finally working) LR6 and PS6. If I chose (B) or (C), I could continue use to PS 6, if needed.

For reference, my workflow (which could likely be improved!) is:

• Shoot RAW
  • Import into LR, usually applying "auto-tone"
  • Apply lens correction to all shots, if possible, in batch.
  • Apply some clarity/saturation, in batch.
  • Set white balance on most indoor shots - using the dropper tool to pick grey.
  • Some cropping, some straightening (I occasional end up with "Batman shots", with a slight tilt :) )
  • Rank each photo 1-4 stars. Color select ones I'm posting to forum.
  • Batch export as JPEG for web display, either max size for my stuff, 1600 pixels long edge for Cafe.
  • Move folders to a file server (from inside LR), which is tied to a NAS box that backs up nightly (incremental/full).
Features of LR that I use (beyond those in the workflow):
  • Gradient
  • Spot healing
  • Rarely Noise Reduction (I'm not very good at this and haven't try tools to help)
  • Virtual copies, as I may try a different crop or processing on some photos
  • B&W conversion quite often
  • Displaying photos by rank, color, date, and sometimes lens.
  • Will do panos and HDR occasionally, by using photo merge.
I rarely have time to set keywords or metadata.
I rarely play with curves directly... just don't really know how.
I haven't tried focus stacking.
It's pretty rare that I'll bring up photoshop to try to deal with problem shots (removing power lines, trying to touch up a portrait that had issues, remove backgrounds, or fix multi light source issues), or to play with selective color. Maybe ten times a year.

I don't do studio photography, mostly vacation documenting, candids, buildings/landscape, and some motorsport action (car club).

I do have times when I have 500 photos at a time to plough through (shooting at club events). I like to batch process as much as I can, but probably could do more automation.

My catalog is about 33K photos for home, and 26K photos for car club.

Enough about me...
  • Do you have similar workflow requirements?
  • Have you tried either Capture One or DXO (or the latest LR and have found improvements from LR6)?
  • Do you find their UI intuitive? How does it compare to LR?
  • Are there features that eliminate the need (or reduce the need) for PS?

I'd love to hear folks experiences, as it would give me something to focus on when I get trials of the other packages to check them out.

Thanks in advance!

I transitioned from Adobe to Capture One September last and haven't regretted the move. It is different and powerful, but the grouping of functions took me the longest time to become fluid for me. the biggest help for me has finding the YouTube live editing sessions of Paul Reiffer. His explanations are in depth and crystal clear. I have quite enjoyed revisiting older shoots and reprocessing them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I transitioned from Adobe to Capture One September last and haven't regretted the move. It is different and powerful, but the grouping of functions took me the longest time to become fluid for me. the biggest help for me has finding the YouTube live editing sessions of Paul Reiffer. His explanations are in depth and crystal clear. I have quite enjoyed revisiting older shoots and reprocessing them.
Cool! Thanks for the tip on the YouTube sessions, as I'm sure no matter what I do, I'll have a long learning curve.

Did you find that as the best way to learn to use it?

Does Capture One have any online documentation or are there books to help become productive with it?

Did you find anything in LR, that you couldn't do in Capture One (or maybe was hard to do)? I can check those items, when I evaluate the app.

Does it do both camera raw processing and photo management as well (or better) than LR? If not, do you supplement any activities with other tools?

Thanks for any insights...

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Hi!

Since I went through hell with LR6 not starting up recently, I thought now is the time to consider re-assessing what I use. I was thinking about 3 options: A) Upgrade to latest LR + PS CC, B) switch to subscription or licensed Capture One, or C) Switch to DXO PhotoLabs.

I'd love to hear from those who have done a switch to a different product, especially relative to what I use it for...

So, I have (now finally working) LR6 and PS6. If I chose (B) or (C), I could continue use to PS 6, if needed.

For reference, my workflow (which could likely be improved!) is:

• Shoot RAW
  • Import into LR, usually applying "auto-tone"
  • Apply lens correction to all shots, if possible, in batch.
  • Apply some clarity/saturation, in batch.
  • Set white balance on most indoor shots - using the dropper tool to pick grey.
  • Some cropping, some straightening (I occasional end up with "Batman shots", with a slight tilt :) )
  • Rank each photo 1-4 stars. Color select ones I'm posting to forum.
  • Batch export as JPEG for web display, either max size for my stuff, 1600 pixels long edge for Cafe.
  • Move folders to a file server (from inside LR), which is tied to a NAS box that backs up nightly (incremental/full).
Features of LR that I use (beyond those in the workflow):
  • Gradient
  • Spot healing
  • Rarely Noise Reduction (I'm not very good at this and haven't try tools to help)
  • Virtual copies, as I may try a different crop or processing on some photos
  • B&W conversion quite often
  • Displaying photos by rank, color, date, and sometimes lens.
  • Will do panos and HDR occasionally, by using photo merge.
I rarely have time to set keywords or metadata.
I rarely play with curves directly... just don't really know how.
I haven't tried focus stacking.
It's pretty rare that I'll bring up photoshop to try to deal with problem shots (removing power lines, trying to touch up a portrait that had issues, remove backgrounds, or fix multi light source issues), or to play with selective color. Maybe ten times a year.

I don't do studio photography, mostly vacation documenting, candids, buildings/landscape, and some motorsport action (car club).

I do have times when I have 500 photos at a time to plough through (shooting at club events). I like to batch process as much as I can, but probably could do more automation.

My catalog is about 33K photos for home, and 26K photos for car club.

Enough about me...
  • Do you have similar workflow requirements?
  • Have you tried either Capture One or DXO (or the latest LR and have found improvements from LR6)?
  • Do you find their UI intuitive? How does it compare to LR?
  • Are there features that eliminate the need (or reduce the need) for PS?

I'd love to hear folks experiences, as it would give me something to focus on when I get trials of the other packages to check them out.

Thanks in advance!
FWIW....I think several folks here have transitioned to DxO and like it. Hopefully they will chime in.

Although I have LR, I much prefer (at least until the latest changes!) Bridge for raw processing my images (same processing engine as LR.....), then going to PS CC when necessary. BUT the point I want to make is that after culling, keywording, and processing my images using Bridge/PS CC - I THEN import them into LR to take advantage of LR's cataloguing feature! I've done this for years and it meets my needs. Something to think about if you change to s/w that doesn't offer a good cataloguing feature.

I used all 3 for years, yes I know I am crazy. After using all 3 my workflow changed.
I now use capture one for all my black and white work. It just gives me better control of my grey renderings. It has changed my work for the better. It looks better than I could achieve in lightroom. That could just be me, but that is what I found.
I now use dxo for my color images, but I turn most of the auto correction off. I like the lens modules, capture sharpening and noise reduction in dxo.
All of my work going to print still goes through photoshop.
I never did use lightroom for printing, I like the qimage workflow.
I still have lightroom running, but have not used it yet this year.
gary

Real Name
Ian
DXO does not support pano stitching nor HDR merging, which is a big bummer IMO. Also, DXO does not have a radial filter, which is just crazy IMO.

I really like DXO for image editing, but it definitely is not a 1:1 replacement for LR, as LR does have some additional features not offered by DXO.

Also, I haven’t been totally pleased by DXO’s timeliness to add support for lenses. They do a pretty good job of quickly supporting new bodies, but certain lenses can take a while to gain support, which is important for things like leveraging the built-in lens correction.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like like DXO and find it to be an excellent image editor, but it does lack certain features offered by LR.

I only use dxo for global processing. Anything local is done in photoshop. Even my work with nik filters, is all done in photoshop. Workflow sounds complicated, but it works for me. I have done it this way for too long. Funny you mention the lack of a radial filter as an issue, I wouldn’t know as I have never used one for anything. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe I need to look again, another tool I don’t use.
Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I only use dxo for global processing. Anything local is done in photoshop. Even my work with nik filters, is all done in photoshop. Workflow sounds complicated, but it works for me. I have done it this way for too long. Funny you mention the lack of a radial filter as an issue, I wouldn’t know as I have never used one for anything. Different strokes for different folks. Maybe I need to look again, another tool I don’t use.
Gary
LOL! I never use the radial filter/tool either! Wonder what we are missing??????????????

FWIW....I think several folks here have transitioned to DxO and like it. Hopefully they will chime in.

Although I have LR, I much prefer (at least until the latest changes!) Bridge for raw processing my images (same processing engine as LR.....), then going to PS CC when necessary. BUT the point I want to make is that after culling, keywording, and processing my images using Bridge/PS CC - I THEN import them into LR to take advantage of LR's cataloguing feature! I've done this for years and it meets my needs. Something to think about if you change to s/w that doesn't offer a good cataloguing feature.
Good point, and I'm wondering about cataloging, as I have a reasonably large number of photos. I have only used the keywording for photos I take for my car club, but may want to take more advantage of that too, in the future.

I used all 3 for years, yes I know I am crazy. After using all 3 my workflow changed.
I now use capture one for all my black and white work. It just gives me better control of my grey renderings. It has changed my work for the better. It looks better than I could achieve in lightroom. That could just be me, but that is what I found.
I now use dxo for my color images, but I turn most of the auto correction off. I like the lens modules, capture sharpening and noise reduction in dxo.
All of my work going to print still goes through photoshop.
I never did use lightroom for printing, I like the qimage workflow.
I still have lightroom running, but have not used it yet this year.
gary
Great stuff!

DXO does not support pano stitching nor HDR merging, which is a big bummer IMO. Also, DXO does not have a radial filter, which is just crazy IMO.

I really like DXO for image editing, but it definitely is not a 1:1 replacement for LR, as LR does have some additional features not offered by DXO.

Also, I haven’t been totally pleased by DXO’s timeliness to add support for lenses. They do a pretty good job of quickly supporting new bodies, but certain lenses can take a while to gain support, which is important for things like leveraging the built-in lens correction.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like like DXO and find it to be an excellent image editor, but it does lack certain features offered by LR.
Thanks. I don't have too much for newer lenses, and don't plan on that for a while, but good to know. What do you use for HDR or panos? PS?

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
I have used DXO for several years now. I find it a great program with its control points and addons like Viewpoint.

It is easy and intutive.

Not having a lens profile for my 24-200 I experimented with Capture One Nikon Express. I am finding things like getting the right colour balance harder.

Years ago I used Photoshop but when Aperture came along I found myself using it more and more and finally I stopped using PS altogether and didn't even bother updating it or loading it into the next new Mac I got....

As most users of Macs know, Aperture has been dying a slow death, finally put out of its misery altogether with the arrival of Mojave last year, so I started looking for something else to use. At that time I wasn't really shooting much, just casual stuff and mostly with the Sony RX10 M4. Luminar 3 seemed to fit the bill: nice and intuitive, easy to use, got the job done. However, when I then got back to more serious photography again with the A7R IV, I immediately realized that I needed something more robust, more sophisticated than Luminar. I had tried Capture One Pro and it was just too much, I felt as though I were floundering much of the time and it didn't seem intuitive to me at all. I am not a professional working in the studio, where I need to be able to tether to my computer and all that....

So then I tried DXO and almost at once felt right at home and comfortable with it, the program seemed intuitive but also had more to explore, more depth, more sophistication, and I have been using it ever since November of 2019. Actually, I had rather a baptism of fire with it -- shortly after I had begun using it a friend wanted me to take photos of her retirement party, so all of a sudden I had a lot of images to process and they had to come out looking good. I was pretty much forced to quickly figure out how to do different things, and although I stumbled from time to time, for the most part the images came out nicely and my friend was happy. DXO is here to stay!

I tend to do pretty much straightforward, simple editing, no fancy stuff with layers and changing things around significantly; I basically just do the standard stuff: assessing the white balance and adjusting that if needed, adjusting exposure if needed, sometimes opening up the shadows or backing down a bit on highlights, cropping as needed, removal of extraneous bits that didn't belong in the scene in the first place, etc. I also have NIK installed as the plug-in and use that from time to time, primarily when I want to get a little artsy with B&W.

I'm surprised how little Adobe Camera Raw gets mentioned? I mainly do all my raw editing in ACR and it comes as a plug-in with other Adobe software such as Adobe Elements. You can even do a batch watermark in Elements. Though I use Photo Mechanic for my image sorting and selection which makes the process faster.

Hey NEF,

PDF files you can print at home or at a printshop are available.

The first one I printed was for C1v12 and was written by Phase One and has a scenic of an unforced fjord as a cover illustration. I printed it at home, massive as far as my laser jet was concerned, and it ended up about2 inches thick. It doesn't have page numbers and no topic index, (rendering manual nearly useless as far as I am concerned!) I got that version couple of years ago for my first attempt using C1 in parallel with LR and PS. My C1 experience then was dismal.

There is a second PDF document published by Wille Media, Nils Wille Christofferson for C1v20. the cover features an outrageously red sunset with silhouetted hot air balloons. I have no idea about his relationship with Phase One and/or Capture One. This manual is about same size as first and same as first with no index but does have a topic list. I suggested to the author that pressing the topic list entry should take the reader to the first page of that topic's explanation, which he did in a couple of weeks. this one I took to Office Depot, but they quoted me over $200 to print it 3 hole punch paper and both sides of the page - I passed. Th author has produced new documents as Capture one issues new tools in the software.

As far as LR functions versus C1v20 functions they being different methods from different starting points (other than RAW files) to the program - they are different with the same goal in mine. I think C1v20 has way better color tools than either LR or PS. Masking is better as far as I am concerned because I actually use it, whereas in the Adobe world I rarely did use it.

Hope this helps.
Nick

PS - I use PTGUI for panorama and HDR stitching, creating uncompressed 16bit color TIFFS from RAWS with C1v20 for PTGUI input.

PS2 - My printer died toward the end of my Adobe days and was never replaced. Paul Reiffer has an excellent video on printing using C1v20 (tree in lake photo).

PS3 - If you have tasks that are repetitive, you can save the steps in a "recipe" then to duplicate them in other images, just suck up your "recipe" from the archive where you saved it. This is very handy for binding several images together with same look and feel (yet another Paul Reiffer video).

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I'm surprised how little Adobe Camera Raw gets mentioned? I mainly do all my raw editing in ACR and it comes as a plug-in with other Adobe software such as Adobe Elements. You can even do a batch watermark in Elements. Though I use Photo Mechanic for my image sorting and selection which makes the process faster.
See my post #4. ACR is part of Bridge. It is my preferred raw processor.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Thanks. I don't have too much for newer lenses, and don't plan on that for a while, but good to know. What do you use for HDR or panos? PS?
I used to use Photomatix for HDRs, but Aurora is now my preferred s/w for HDR. The presets are strong, but you have plenty of sliders to get the look you want.

PTgui is my preferred s/w for panos.

Years ago I used Photoshop but when Aperture came along I found myself using it more and more and finally I stopped using PS altogether and didn't even bother updating it or loading it into the next new Mac I got....

As most users of Macs know, Aperture has been dying a slow death, finally put out of its misery altogether with the arrival of Mojave last year, so I started looking for something else to use. At that time I wasn't really shooting much, just casual stuff and mostly with the Sony RX10 M4. Luminar 3 seemed to fit the bill: nice and intuitive, easy to use, got the job done. However, when I then got back to more serious photography again with the A7R IV, I immediately realized that I needed something more robust, more sophisticated than Luminar. I had tried Capture One Pro and it was just too much, I felt as though I were floundering much of the time and it didn't seem intuitive to me at all. I am not a professional working in the studio, where I need to be able to tether to my computer and all that....

So then I tried DXO and almost at once felt right at home and comfortable with it, the program seemed intuitive but also had more to explore, more depth, more sophistication, and I have been using it ever since November of 2019. Actually, I had rather a baptism of fire with it -- shortly after I had begun using it a friend wanted me to take photos of her retirement party, so all of a sudden I had a lot of images to process and they had to come out looking good. I was pretty much forced to quickly figure out how to do different things, and although I stumbled from time to time, for the most part the images came out nicely and my friend was happy. DXO is here to stay!

I tend to do pretty much straightforward, simple editing, no fancy stuff with layers and changing things around significantly; I basically just do the standard stuff: assessing the white balance and adjusting that if needed, adjusting exposure if needed, sometimes opening up the shadows or backing down a bit on highlights, cropping as needed, removal of extraneous bits that didn't belong in the scene in the first place, etc. I also have NIK installed as the plug-in and use that from time to time, primarily when I want to get a little artsy with B&W.
Great info Connie. Good to see that the UI was easy to get used to. I keep hearing people talk about the NIK plugins, but I never really looked into. Just peeked at them and they look really nice! Will have to add that to my TODO list of things to look into.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom