Anyone Migrated from LR to Capture One or DXO?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have you decided whether you need a database catalog?
Ah that's cheating! You're trying to figure out which of the three tools I'm going to pick! :)

Seriously though, I don't think I "need" a database backed catalog. I do like the ability of tools to assist in organizing photos (not a database function), and in finding photos (e.g. by rating, date, labels, keywords; lesser so with focal length, orientation).

Just a quick summary of pros/cons of Lightroom Classic (LRC) from my research. Subjective, based on differences from LR 6 that I own, and tailored to things I'm interested in (in no particular order)...

Pros:
  • The tone adjustment and curves tools, have a "marker" that can be selected, positioned on the image, and then dragged up and down to adjust the setting. Nice on curve tool, as it picks the right position on the curve.
  • Large support for lenses, and allows you to load profiles from the community.
  • Supports both my Nikon and Fuji camera's RAW file formats.
  • The included Photoshop is, as before, powerful, has been updated a lot, but has a high learning curve.
  • Has HDR, panorama, and focus stacking support.
  • Can "stack" photos together (e.g. those for a HDR), for less visibility clutter.
  • Dehaze tool works very well.
  • The transform tool works well for adjusting perspectives, doing horizontal and/or vertical adjustments, and has an auto button that seems to "do the right thing" most of the time.
  • Does allow exporting to multiple destinations with different settings, naming, etc.
  • Paint can tool is nice for applying keywords, ratings, color labels on multiple entries.
Cons:
  • Has masks (including radial) to limit the effect of an area, but once you apply, there is no way to see the mask, or alter it. Hard to see how different changes interact as cannot see the scope of them.
  • Same applies to adjustments, once applied, no way to toggle on/off (you can snapshot, but that is cumulative).
  • Each adjustment appears in a history list, but there is no way to individually unselect an item (you can clear all entries before or after an entry). Can apply to other images, but pretty limited.
  • Color adjustments are pretty basic.
  • Modal nature of library vs development is annoying, when flipping back and forth. For example, editing, zooming and comparing two image or the changes made to another copy of image, and then going back to editing. Or changing keywords, while editing. Same applies for import/export. You have to leave develop window.
  • Every time you use a mask, you have to toggle on the visibility and then toggle it off, when done. For example, if you pick the paint brush tool, you have to turn on visibility, paint, turn it off, then adjust the area, turn it back on, paint more, etc.
Both:
  • Subscription based, so always have the latest, but more expensive, if you happened to upgrade after 2-3 years.
  • Give you 20 GB cloud storage, but information is stored differently than LRC (color labels become keywords, lose custom metadata, snapshots, map saved locations, folders, smart collections, develop history, and directories, and collections become albums.
  • Has "AI" to face detect on photos. Only does people faces (no animals), confuses statues with people, and require you to confirm every single photo that it "identifies".
For most things, you can do the same thing with each tool, albeit with slightly different methods.

• Has masks (including radial) to limit the effect of an area, but once you apply, there is no way to see the mask, or alter it. Hard to see how different changes interact as cannot see the scope of them.
  • Same applies to adjustments, once applied, no way to toggle on/off (you can snapshot, but that is cumulative).
I'm really surprised about that if I understand you correctly because it can be done in Adobe Camera Raw. I've always been told that ACR and Lightroom have the same engine, making it possible for the same things to be done but the user interfaces are different.

Has HDR, panorama, and focus stacking support.
If it matters to you, check to be sure that you don't have to hand off the images to Photoshop to do the focus stacking. I think the hand off is necessary.

I had done a gradient tool, adjusted settings, closed, then picked radial gradient and did another adjustment and closed. If I click on either one of those tools, and hit "O" I see no mask info, it is a brand new adjustment.

From history, you can see the changes made by each tool (clicking on the history item, but no way to disable/hide the entry, see the mask associated with the entry, modify the adjustment:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's pretty limited, not like PS history. Overall, the masking is so..so.. unike DXO and C1, which have a lot of flexibility.

That may be true with focus stacking, I didn't have a set of images to try that particular one, but it something I rarely do. Just saw that there is an entry... I think it is the HRD panorama...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Edit In, will drop into PS.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think at the top of the adjustment panel when you select the brush you can choose to edit or create a new one. I don’t have access to LR right now to get a screen shot, pretty sure it is there.

I think you can select a previous local brush adjustment and add to or remove from the mask in LR CC Classic. It is not a easy or intuitive as in Capture One in my opinion.
Played with it more. You can. You have to click on the item in the history, and then click on the right tool (like I clicked on "Exposure Adjustment") - not sure from history how to know which tool - and then there is a little button on the screen. You can then turn on mask visibility, adjust mask, turn off visibility, make adjustments, and then close. It is really complicated.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Played with it more. You can. You have to click on the item in the history, and then click on the right tool (like I clicked on "Exposure Adjustment") - not sure from history how to know which tool - and then there is a little button on the screen. You can then turn on mask visibility, adjust mask, turn off visibility, make adjustments, and then close. It is really complicated.
Now you see why I ended up choosing Capture One. When Apple ceased development of Aperture, I went through this same evaluation and came to many of the same conclusions. I just liked the intuitiveness of Capture One better. I think the way it thinks.

Correction... you can select the tool in history, then click the instance on image, then show mask, adjust mask, ...

I think at the top of the adjustment panel when you select the brush you can choose to edit or create a new one. I don’t have access to LR right now to get a screen shot, pretty sure it is there.
Only if it is the last tool used. Once you switch, say from brush to radial, when you go back to brush, it is a new brush.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Correction... you can select the tool in history, then click the instance on image, then show mask, adjust mask, ...
I don't use History in LR/ACR. If I want to see the mask for an adjustment, I click on the circle on the image to activate the adjustment, then click "show mask".

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
That’s what I’m trying to convey. Can you post a screen recording showing how to do it? And how to change the mask once selected?
Sorry....not my forte! LOL! But seeing the mask and adjusting it are super easy using the + or - brushes. There must be a video on it already on the internet????

I played with it more. It looks like you can click on the respective tool, to see the buttons for that tool. I was trying multiple tools and finding it hard to get to editing one of the specific tools.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom