Anyone Migrated from LR to Capture One or DXO?

The Edit In, will drop into PS.
That's where you do the focus stacking. I realize that you mentioned that you rarely do focus stacking. Photoshop may work quite well for you the few times you need it. However, several of us have found it virtually not usable in other situations. I think it worked fine for me for the first five or six times I used it and then the next photo was a complete disaster. So, I trial licensed Helicon Focus and Zerene, which are both excellent, have great reputations, and I'm confident work fine. I went with Helicon Focus for an unimportant reason.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
To me, it's not quite as intuitive to have to select the tool, to be able to edit a previous adjustment of that type, when you have several adjustments using different tools. If I want to readjust a specific area, I have to click through the tools to see which tool(s) I used in that area, and then decide on which one to adjust.

Not being able to hide an adjustment temporarily makes it a little more difficult (to me).

The good thing, is that playing with these different tools, one sees different ways to solve problems.

OK. Time to make a decision...based on what I think are my needs, and what I think are important for how I want to use the tools. Clearly, there are things that some folks will deem more important and will be deal makers or breakers for them, as compared to what I'm looking for...

DXO has some great editing features, highlights being the noise reduction, smart lighting, and intuitive local adjustments. It is the lowest cost solution. It is weak in the photo management side of things, and doesn't support Fuji RAF RAW files (deal breaker for me). I'm going to pass on this otherwise great tool.

That leaves me to Capture One and Lightroom Classic. These are very close tools, for the kinds of things I want to do. Either would be a good choice.

Capture One excels in color and local adjustments, photo management and workflow. Arguably less expensive over time.

Lightroom excels in lens support and correction, perspective adjustments, and comes with a great pixel editor.

At this point, I think I've convinced myself to try Capture One.

I have PS6, so I can do HDR and panos (not done often), and focus stacking and pixel editing (very rarely done). I'm ok with not having lens correction for three old MF lenses, and the perspective tool in Capture One is very good (just no auto button).

I'm anticipating that (for me) I'll have a faster workflow (auto advancing on rating, switching between editing and comparing, importing and exporting flexibility), and more intuitive editing (layers and masking tools).

I appreciate all the suggestions, inputs, and help folks have provided.

There are some tools that I was exposed to (NIK) that I wouldn't have looked at before, and some that I may peek at in the future (Affinity Photo, Topaz).

Hopefully some of this is useful info for other people looking at tools. I'll try to upload the spreadsheet I made to compare features and how I ranked features. Granted it's all subjective.

This has been a fascinating journey, Paul. I'm not in the market for new/different software, but your analysis helped locate all the contenders on a level playing field and in language most of us can follow! Many thanks.

I attached a PDF of the spreadsheet I had made. The important bits are the first three columns, where I list the features I was interested in, the importance, and the frequency of use.

I tried to takes some notes on nits and unique features as I was reviewing the tools.

It's subjective, through my "lens" of view, and there are likely buttons and knobs that I never really figured out, but hopefully it'll be of some use for folks, if only as a starting point for investigation...

Attachments

I cancelled my Adobe trial. I have about 14 days left on the Capture One trial. I'll likely spend some of that trying to clear out the sessions and catalogs that I made for testing, see if I can import the Lightroom catalog again. If not, I'll likely try to import on an as-needed basis.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I cancelled my Adobe trial. I have about 14 days left on the Capture One trial. I'll likely spend some of that trying to clear out the sessions and catalogs that I made for testing, see if I can import the Lightroom catalog again. If not, I'll likely try to import on an as-needed basis.
Let me know if I can help in any way. If you use Facebook, I run a group there called Capture One Technical Forum.

Well, I'm trying to convert stuff to Capture One. I almost screwed up, but I've got one shot to do this...

Reading up on the importing of LR to C1, I see that C1 supports LRC and I have LR6. So, I decided on this plan...

• Copy the LR 6 catalogs to save a backup
  • Run LRC and import the LR6 catalog (turns out it can copy the catalog as well, so I don't need to save another backup)
  • Then, from C1, try to import the new LRC catalog.
  • Rinse and repeat for the other catalog I have.
I want to keep the original LR catalog, in case I want to access it from LR6.

That's the plan. The hiccup (tip for others), is that I canceled the LRC trial. When I went to run LCR, they put up a notice that this is the last time I'll be able to run the app. So... I'm going to try to do this all in one big process.

If I did it again, I'd do this conversion BEFORE ending the trial, so Adobe doesn't lock me out, as I had two days left.

Well, I had to put both catalogs together, as once I (upgraded and ) imported the one catalog, to import another, I have to open a new catalog, which involves quitting and restarting LRC.

Also, to import into C1, I have to close the LR catalog (exit LRC). I have one catalog and will try to import.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Well, I had to put both catalogs together, as once I (upgraded and ) imported the one catalog, to import another, I have to open a new catalog, which involves quitting and restarting LRC.

Also, to import into C1, I have to close the LR catalog (exit LRC). I have one catalog and will try to import.
Yes, you need to upgrade each LR6 catalog to LR CC Classic. You can then import both LR CC Classic catalogs into one C1 catalog by using File > Import Catalog > Lightroom Catalog two times, OR you can create two different C1 catalogs and import each LR CC Classic Catalog into its own C1 catalog. Your choice.

Yes, you need to upgrade each LR6 catalog to LR CC Classic. You can then import both LR CC Classic catalogs into one C1 catalog by using File > Import Catalog > Lightroom Catalog two times, OR you can create two different C1 catalogs and import each LR CC Classic Catalog into its own C1 catalog. Your choice.
Yeah, I had canceled the Adobe trial, so it only let me run LRC one time, so I had to upgrade both LR6 catalogs into one, so I could then import to C1. Couldn’t upgrade one and then the other, because LRC wanted to ‘quit’ to close and open the second catalog.

Didn’t want to risk it, so I combined and then migrated to C1. Will try to split them out in C1.

Lesson learned to do all the upgrading, before ending a trial.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom