Anyone Migrated from LR to Capture One or DXO?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's not strictly true. While not nearly as complete (or intrusive) as Lightroom, DxO does allow you to keyword your photos and search by keyword. I think it may do more than that, but I don't use those features so I'll have to suggest that you do a little research at the DxO website.

I'm similar to Nick on those points, but I don't use any file transfer program except "Finder" on the Mac. I catalogue by year/month/day and have been doing so for 15 years. I can usually find what I want but I certainly would agree that it would be a lot easier if I had used some cataloguing system with keywords, etc., from the get-go. Too late now.
Yeah, I'm mostly thinking about placing files by date into subfolders for a specific category (e.g. pictures of Theodore, vacation trip, Collective Shoot #705,...). I use the star ratings and color labels a lot, and some keywords (which I really need to use more of).

Here's what the DxO website says:

If you have a large image library you’ll know how difficult it can be to find the image you’re looking for. Thankfully, DxO PhotoLab 3 makes searching for photos much easier thanks to the new DxO PhotoLibrary new features.

Keywords now pop up as tooltips whenever you hover your mouse pointer over images in the File Explorer tab. Keywords are also displayed directly in the Metadata palette, plus you can directly add, delete,rename keywords or assign them to a batch of images.

If you’re importing images into DxO PhotoLab 3 that already have keywords attached, including data written by other XMP-format software, these will be imported automatically. With its new and improved PhotoLibrary feature, DxO PhotoLab 3 is seamlessly compatible with other photo-editing packages on the market and makes for a faster and more efficient workflow.

DxO PhotoLab 3 rounds out the software’s existing filters and image processing tools with the new PhotoLibrary feature.
The PhotoLibrary makes sorting and organizing images a cinch. Instantly locate the photos you’re searching for thanks to the dynam
ic interpretation search function, which suggests relevant results on the fly.
Thanks for the info. It would be interesting to hear if anyone has used it, and could reflect on how it is to use, as compared to LR (which I'm familiar with), from a functionality, ease of use, and performance standpoint.

I've used Lightroom since it's beginning and have tried to keep myself updated on all the new features as they come out. I'm comfortable with it and don't mind the subscription fee. I like to learn new things but feel happy with the results I can get from Lightroom, so I haven't felt much need to change. Maybe I don't know what I am missing......
Yeah, I'm at an inflection point, of either upgrading to the LR CC (from LR6), or possibly transitioning to another tool(or multiple tools). I'm wondering if other solutions will give me a better experience (mostly interested in the actual processing of files, as the LR workflow is pretty good for me).

It seems to me, like a good time to consider if I want to try something new, as I have something that is currently working (after a small scare with LR6) and am not under the pressure to get something usable immediately.

I may very well, just keep using LR products...they are good overall and it is an easy path. But, I'm curious about other products and wondering if I can replace or augment what I do now.

Looking to see what transition paths are available, so that if I do jump ship, I have a viable transition path, without headaches.

A side goal is to make sure I'm moving away from vendor lock in... the use of DNG files, seems to be one mistake that I've been doing (granted there was a point in time where I was dealing with Canon and Nikon, and thought that was a good format), which I'll change forward going.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Great info. I guess a long time ago I bought into the Koolaid of using DNGs as a "standard", and I've been importing all my NEFs to DNGs, saving those, and JPEGs of the final processed data.

It sounds like I should really be importing NEFs directly, to have the most compatibility with other tools.

For stacking, I mostly would use that to collect up photos to process for panos or HDRs. Not a big deal, and I suspect I could use other ways to tag such groups. Not something I do a lot, only occasionally do I play with those features.
I use the color codes to group images for HDR's and panos. I use star ratings to cull my images. These are available in both Bridge/ACR and LR. The only time I use stacking is to consolidate/simplify viewing of images since stacking shows only one version of the image instead of numerous copies.

Looking to see...that if I do jump ship, I have a viable transition path, without headaches.
In my mind, there is no transition to using new software without headaches. Just the time, energy and issues of learning how to use software enough to effectively evaluate it brings on enough headaches, not to mention the learning curve of fully implementing new software. Indeed, one of the most important benefits of using the Adobe CC ecosystem and probably any subscription model is that changes to the software happen in smaller steps (because they happen throughout the year), making it easier to evaluate and learn each new capability as it comes along.

A side goal is to make sure I'm moving away from vendor lock in
Regarding image data, there is no lock-in for future images, only potential lock-in about the ability to edit images already edited. Even then, the potential lock-in has to do only with the ability to pick up with where you left off; there is no lock-in if you don't mind starting over from the beginning with editng an image.

There is never any lock-in regarding metadata that is specific to an image (as opposed to metadata that is specific to the software) so long as you embed it in the image file or its corresponding sidecar file. That's because any halfway decent software will be able to import that metadata.

The ability to manipulate metadata to one's advantage can be lost when changing software programs because of certain proprietary methods used in one software program that probably won't be available in another software program without at least taking the time to "tell" the new software program to make it happen. Even then, the new software program might not have every capability the earlier one had. I'm at that risk with the cataloging software I use, but I think I would be at that risk with any cataloging software. Even so, the typical user (I'm not typical) wouldn't have any concerns about this because most any software program will rather easily handle the metadata used by typical users.

Last edited:
I had been using star ratings to cull, and determine what was post-able. For Cafe, I'd use a "red color label to indicate what I wanted to post for a Collective Shoot or Photo Meme. For non-Cafe, I was publishing on web everything with 2+ star rating, though I've changed my ratings to have a little more granularity...

1 = Discard
2 = Ok, but not worth publishing (many are duplicates or similar, but not as nice)
3 = Good - publish
4 = Great shot
5 = Best shots

I've always been humored that almost everyone fails to use the rating that indicates no stars. My cataloging software has the five typical star ratings plus a sixth one that displays six stars, none of which are highlighted. That one is designed to indicate that the image has been rejected. Ironically, despite that my cataloging software in effect has seven star ratings, I've never used more than four of them (ratings of no stars, 1 star, 3 stars and 5 stars).

Last edited:
In my mind, there is no transition to using new software without headaches. Just the time, energy and issues of learning how to use software enough to effectively evaluate it brings on enough headaches, not to mention the learning curve of fully implementing new software. Indeed, one of the most important benefits of using the Adobe CC ecosystem and probably any subscription model is that changes to the software happen in smaller steps (because they happen throughout the year), making it easier to evaluate and learn each new capability as it comes along.
Good points. Working in the software development world, I'm used to having to learn new languages and tool chains, so I'm OK with learning something new, especially if I know that, in the end, I'll have improved my process and/or generate a better end result.

I do like to mitigate the difficulty in transitioning... the smoother the better... and want to avoid going down any dead-ends.

The ability to manipulate metadata to one's advantage can be lost when changing software programs because of certain proprietary methods used in one software program that probably won't be available in another software program without at least taking the time to "tell" the new software program to make it happen. Even then, the new software program might not have every capability the earlier one had. I'm at that risk with the cataloging software I use, but I think I would be at that risk with any cataloging software. Even so, the typical user (I'm not typical) wouldn't have any concerns about this because most any software program will rather easily handle the metadata used by typical users.
Curious... can you give an example of the risk/concern you have?

I've always been humored that almost everyone fails to use the rating that indicates no stars. My cataloging software has the five typical star ratings plus a sixth one that displays six stars, none of which are highlighted. That one is designed to indicate that the image has been rejected. Ironically, despite that my cataloging software in effect has seven star ratings, I've never used more than four of them (ratings of no stars, 1 star, 3 stars and 5 stars).
For me, 1 stars are removed (don't need that photo of my leg that I took when accidentally pressing the shutter button), 2 stars I keep "just in case", 3 stars used a lot, 4 stars occasionally used for when I want to print something, five stars only there to remind me that sometimes anyone can take a great shot, and no stars means I haven't had time to rate it yet. :)

can you give an example of the risk/concern you have?
My workflow involves at the very least the production of three versions of the same capture -- the edited raw file, a full-size JPEG and a smaller JPEG. There might be other files of the same image, such as files created to print the image or files created as parts of fully assembled slide shows. (One image could be in an unlimited number of slide shows and each slide show is stored in its own folder.) My cataloging software uses a proprietary method of automatically linking all image files of the same image. That makes it easy to automatically find all of them even though each image file might be stored in separate folders. That link also makes it possible to automatically change the metadata in all versions of the same image while accessing just one image file to make the change.

If I someday decide to change to a different cataloging software program, the new one would not be able to make use of the proprietary data embedded in the image files by my current program that links the various versions of the same image. Instead, I would have to find all of those versions stored in their various locations and then "tell" the new software to link them. I already have nearly 7000 image files stored among over 150 slideshows and I create a new slide show at least every month. Accurately linking the various versions of the image files using the new software would be so daunting, even if a significant part of the process would be automated, that I would never take the time to make it happen.

As a reminder, I mentioned that the typical user would never have this issue or similar lock-in issues.

Last edited:
My workflow involves at the very least the production of three versions of the same capture -- the edited raw file, a full-size JPEG and a smaller JPEG. There might be other files of the same image, such as files created to print the image or files created as parts of fully assembled slide shows. (One image could be in an unlimited number of slide shows and each slide show is stored in its own folder.) My cataloging software uses a proprietary method of automatically linking all image files of the same image. That makes it easy to automatically find all of them even though each image file might be stored in separate folders. That link also makes it possible to automatically change the metadata in all versions of the same image while accessing just one image file to make the change.

If I someday decide to change to a different cataloging software program, the new one would not be able to make use of the proprietary data embedded in the image files by my current program that links the various versions of the same image. Instead, I would have to find all of those versions stored in their various locations and then "tell" the new software to link them. I already have nearly 7000 image files stored among over 150 slideshows and I create a new slide show at least every month. Accurately linking the various versions of the image files using the new software would be so daunting, even if a significant part of the process would be automated, that I would never take the time to make it happen.

As a reminder, I mentioned that the typical user would never have this issue or similar lock-in issues.
Ah! Gotcha. Interesting to hear about your workflow though!

Yeah, I'm at an inflection point, of either upgrading to the LR CC (from LR6), or possibly transitioning to another tool(or multiple tools). I'm wondering if other solutions will give me a better experience (mostly interested in the actual processing of files, as the LR workflow is pretty good for me).

It seems to me, like a good time to consider if I want to try something new, as I have something that is currently working (after a small scare with LR6) and am not under the pressure to get something usable immediately.

I may very well, just keep using LR products...they are good overall and it is an easy path. But, I'm curious about other products and wondering if I can replace or augment what I do now.

Looking to see what transition paths are available, so that if I do jump ship, I have a viable transition path, without headaches.

A side goal is to make sure I'm moving away from vendor lock in... the use of DNG files, seems to be one mistake that I've been doing (granted there was a point in time where I was dealing with Canon and Nikon, and thought that was a good format), which I'll change forward going.
I'll be interested to see what you decide. I've never used DNG. I've always just imported as NEF. When I want to export a file, I usually do it as a jpg. I agree that Lightroom is very good. I love the newer radial filters. I use them on just about every photo. I also love that you can do a range selection now and only edit certain tones or values. I don't feel that the price for a CC subscription is unreasonable and I love the frequent updates.

I'll be interested to see what you decide. I've never used DNG. I've always just imported as NEF. When I want to export a file, I usually do it as a jpg. I agree that Lightroom is very good. I love the newer radial filters. I use them on just about every photo. I also love that you can do a range selection now and only edit certain tones or values. I don't feel that the price for a CC subscription is unreasonable and I love the frequent updates.
That's good to hear. I'm missing out on all the new features of LR (all you mentioned).

I need to download and play with trials of the other tools, and do a trial of LR (if it doesn't disturb my LR6 install) . Thinking about taking some photos that have high dynamic range, low light/high ISO, color issues (I have a few of those in camera right now), etc. To see how things work out. I have DNGs with all those attributes, but no NEF files, because I had converted on import up to now.

It won't be hard making problem photos :)

Downloaded DXO today for a 30 day evaluation...

Initial impressions, granted from a LR6 perspective...

Nice things:

Local adjustments tool is really handy, with masking and adjusting, really easy to do. I have a bunch of photos where my grandson was playing in an inflatable pool, which we had a red parawing (canopy) over. It gave a red cast to everything in the foreground, but the deck and house in the background were normal. If a simple color correction was done, it would mess with the background. I was able to adjust quickly. This was almost like doing selective coloring (something I do occasionally).

Several other adjustments were easy too. I just started playing with presets a bit, and did some copying of adjustments across photos.

Seemed to do a good job with per lens correction for my Nikon.

Even though quite different than LR, it was pretty easy to get going, which is a good sign, Initial impression was that it was way easier to use than PS6, which, every time I use, I have to watch a much of tutorials.

Not as nice:

The horizon adjustment tool is much harder to use, especially if you have a vertical object for reference (I had people, with doors or wooden posts in the background, but nothing horizontal to use. Likewise, if I had a portrait photo, it wanted to adjust vertically. Not as easy as grabbing a corner of the crop tool frame, and free rotating the image (in LR6).

Overall photo management is really basic. To apply keywords to multiple photos, I figured out I could add to one photo, then select it and others, and do an apply to all - done from the processing mode. Didn’t see a way to view/edit keywords from the photo library.

Granted it was easy to just access the files, versus doing importing, but didn’t see a way yet to rename files (I do a lot).

I tried processing raw photos from my Fuji X100S. DXO does not handle that raw format. Granted, from old LRs, I was using JPEG out of the camera. I just realized that LR6 will handle the raw format.

I didn’t see a way to view two photos at once, say to compare (at full size). I may have two similar shots that I want to choose between or a photo and virtual copy where I’ve applied different processing to, in an effort to decide on what I like best.

I did a straightening of a photo, and then selected to crop some and readjust the position of the crop. DXO was happy to allow me to move the crop rectangle outside of the viewable image. It is not bounded, like with LR. I had once case, there there was a black wedge at the bottom of the photo, until I moved things around. Would have been nice to be bounded.

More research needed on:

I haven’t done too much with presets, haven’t tried other corrections like red-eye, and I have tried an evaluation of Nik tools (separate, I guess). I’d like to see the sharpening abilities, which I hear are great.

I have other photos to process, some portraits, some low light (I want to see noise reduction too), some with high dynamic range, and I have some shots with older MF lens and I want to see if DXO has lens correction for the 28mm, and 200mm, I have.

Will want to try processing some photos from my iPhone as well.

I didn’t try using with LR6, though saw a video on doing that.

Too early to tell, but...

I’m not leaning toward this as a replacement for LR, from what I’ve seen. Maybe I could use as a plugin, maybe I could use the Nik tools, or maybe use LR (even LR6) as the photo manager.

I play with it more, this week, and watch a few more tutorials.

I still need to play with Nik, Capture 1, and see the new LR features (as LR6 didn’t have much at all).

If you’re familiar with DXO and can add any insight into the items I’m seeing as shortcomings so far, please let me know. I just may not have figured out how to do that with DXO, or maybe there is another way to accomplish the same thing...

I also haven’t figured out how to add a watermark to my photos (I have some premised images).

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I also haven’t figured out how to add a watermark to my photos (I have some premised images).
I just created an action in PS. I just hit one key and the action sets the type, layer style, layer opacity, type size and font, etc. and puts the watermark on the photo. Then I just move it where I want it........... Easy-peasy!

Check out the lower left corner of this image for an example..... Of course you can make the watermark any size, color, font, etc. you want.

I just created an action in PS. I just hit one key and the action sets the type, layer style, layer opacity, type size and font, etc. and puts the watermark on the photo. Then I just move it where I want it........... Easy-peasy!

Check out the lower left corner of this image for an example..... Of course you can make the watermark any size, color, font, etc. you want.
Nice! I use an image, and have several of them, with different positions and opacity, and I apply that when I export from Lightroom. Didn't see anything with DXO, but the method mentioned by Larry sounds like a workaround (if it does images).

Looks like Irfanwiew is PC, but sounds like I could do it with iMagine Photo and automator to be able to batch add to images.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom