Anyone Migrated from LR to Capture One or DXO?

I wrote to the developer of my cataloging software and asked why his current software doesn't have that culling capability in the Light Table that his software had ten years ago. He provided a method I consider a workaround, which is helpful enough that I uninstalled the Digikam software using Windows, though I had to do delete the database files manually. I asked a second time why ten years later his software doesn't have that culling capability. He responded that I call it a workaround "only because it is different from what I need." I explained that I call it a workaround because it's inferior to the capability his software had ten years ago. He develops excellent cataloging software but he can be rude.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wrote to the developer of my cataloging software and asked why his current software doesn't have that culling capability in the Light Table that his software had ten years ago. He provided a method I consider a workaround, which is helpful enough that I uninstalled the Digikam software using Windows, though I had to do delete the database files manually. I asked a second time why ten years later his software doesn't have that culling capability. He responded that I call it a workaround "only because it is different from what I need." I explained that I call it a workaround because it's inferior to the capability his software had ten years ago. He develops excellent cataloging software but he can be rude.
:(

Regarding noise reduction...

These are big, but I wanted to try to give some detail. Here's what I did in my subjective? test...

Original was a NEF raw file, which I processed with different tools. Used the default settings with all treated as 16 bit TIFFs. Then, for output, I converted to JPEG 100%, no resizing using DXO.

Here is the original (A)...
test-6632-A.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Processed (B)...
test-6632_B.jpg

Processed (C)...
test-6632_C.jpg

Processed (D)...
test-6632_D.jpg

I hope the JPEGs work. If not, I'll try to place TIFFs in DropBox for folks.

Let me know what you think of these and which you like the best... and later I'll reviewed which app was used...

I suppose I'm easily pleased because I don't find the original in any need of a noise reduction action.
Perhaps seen at full size would reveal some noise but judging by this size, I wouldn't even activate noise reduction.

I think the JPEG and smaller size hides the noise, which one needs to see it at full size. It's not something I would have correct, especially for posting on the web, but it was the only thing I had handy, for a "noisy" shot.

Here is a dropbox link to the TIFFs, A being the original.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kksafrzrlwvk1ha/AADtPklXBta_OvLR8TKAEaDsa?dl=0

You can see the improvements on the wall, but other than the slight color differences, they were very close.

I noticed some differences in the writing on the glass, and the back edge of the mouse in the foreground. I tried to make those two the best I could with the adjustment knobs of the tools.

Again, subjective, and based on my (lack of?) skills with adjusting noisy images. :)

I see some minor color (WB?) differences, but not enough to write home about. B has the most white whites, and perhaps less noise in the wall, compared to A. But I don't find any of them particularly noisy!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
What is the ISO? The D750 is known for being very good at low and medium ISO values! Noise reduction is for high ISO images that have a LOT of noise which results in relatively significant negative impact on image quality. This test image doesn't seem to fit that definition.

Take a close up of a cat or something with fur, feathers or very fine details in a fairly dim setting. Aim for ISO of 5,000 or higher. Then view the image at 100%.....crop to that portion of the image. Then run various scenarios on that crop.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Probably terrible examples.....but I tried!

Raw viewed @ 100%
i-Kmx6Nq5-X3.jpg

RAW after applying DxO Prime NR at default setting...no other adjustments. Notice black feathers in lower right corner....detail still there. Same with line marking of the two portions of the beak...
i-9ZtzzZK-X3.jpg

Here's the image as displayed on my website at normal viewing size.... Notice that grass directly under puffin that is in focus has retained fine details even after NR was applied.
_8500591_DxO-X3.jpg

Last edited:
What is the ISO? The D750 is known for being very good at low and medium ISO values! Noise reduction is for high ISO images that have a LOT of noise which results in relatively significant negative impact on image quality. This test image doesn't seem to fit that definition.

Take a close up of a cat or something with fur, feathers or very fine details in a fairly dim setting. Aim for ISO of 5,000 or higher. Then view the image at 100%.....crop to that portion of the image. Then run various scenarios on that crop.
12,800 ISO for that image. I could do another with our cat. It was just something I had.

If folks have examples of how NR compares between C1, DXO, and LR, I'd love to see them.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
12,800 ISO for that image. I could do another with our cat. It was just something I had.

If folks have examples of how NR compares between C1, DXO, and LR, I'd love to see them.
LOL! I don't always shoot ISO 12,800! BUT - we were on the northern edge of Newfoundland, in very heavy fog. So heavy that there was a constant drizzle of rain. I was in insulated ski pants, down parka with hood up, wool sweater, etc. Temps in the 30-40's Farenheit. And I had carried about 25-30 lbs a 1/4 mile to the cliffs. @gnagel has been there....he also know this place. The weather was terrible!

I think YOU should capture a high ISO image, process using the s/w of your choice, and decide on YOUR tolerance for noise and detail. Then share those images with us. You need to decide is NR is even important to the type of shooting you do. I shoot wildlife and often face high ISO situations to get the shoot. Perhaps your images don't often require high ISO's and NR capability is not an important feature in your search for a new processing s/w.

Probably terrible examples.....but I tried!

Raw viewed @ 100%
View attachment 1666691

RAW after applying DxO Prime NR at default setting...no other adjustments. Notice black feathers in lower right corner....detail still there. Same with line marking of the two portions of the beak...
View attachment 1666692

Here's the image as displayed on my website at normal viewing size.... Notice that grass directly under puffin that is in focus has retained fine details even after NR was applied.
View attachment 1666693
Thanks for sharing Karen! Much better than the example I had!
LOL! I don't always shoot ISO 12,800! BUT - we were on the northern edge of Newfoundland, in very fog. So heavy that there was a constant drizzle of rain. I was in insulated ski pants, down parka with hood up, wool sweater, etc. Temps in the 30-40's Farenheit. And I had carried about 25-30 lbs a 1/4 mile to the cliffs. @gnagel has been there....he also know this place. The weather was terrible!

I think YOU should capture a high ISO image, process using the s/w of your choice, and decide on YOUR tolerance for noise and detail. Then share those images with us. You need to decide is NR is even important to the type of shooting you do. I shoot wildlife and often face high ISO situations to get the shoot. Perhaps your images don't often require high ISO's and NR capability is not an important feature in your search for a new processing s/w.
Wow! Sounds like a rough shoot!

I have some high ISOs, mostly low light shots. I have a low tolerance for noise, so try to shoot <6400 ISO.

The shot that I had for comparison (post 144), Dropbox link of TIFFs (post 147), was a quick, night shot, while near my computer, along with some other shots with HDR, just to have something handy to try.

In the photos, A was the original. B was using DXO's PRIME NR tool, C was using Capture One NR, and D was using NIK tool (I got the trial for that as well).

I thought the wall had improved color noise on all the tools. The writing on the glass seemed better on C, and it had a bit less of a halo? on the far side of the mouse in the foreground. Overall, surfaces seems smoother, like the piece of paper in the foreground, where the glass had caused a little shadow.

Again, very subjective, probably not a great picture, and I didn't spend much time trying to tweak things.

I guess I didn't see where DXO (B) was "hands down" better... at least in this shot.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
You still didn't state what ISO you used on your D750 image.

Perhaps noise just isn't a big issue with your type of photography. That's OK. If so, it is not a differentiator in your choice of raw processing s/w.

I also have a very low tolerance for noise. As I said, up until Topaz AI DeNoise, DxO Prime was the best...hands down. NOT for eliminating noise, but for preserving fine details. Preserving fine details is what makes a so-so NR s/w Great. I have compared many images, and so have Randy, and others. The new Topaz DeNoise is a tab better than DxO, but not by much.

You still didn't state what ISO you used on your D750 image.

Perhaps noise just isn't a big issue with your type of photography. That's OK. If so, it is not a differentiator in your choice of raw processing s/w.

I also have a very low tolerance for noise. As I said, up until Topaz AI DeNoise, DxO Prime was the best...hands down. NOT for eliminating noise, but for preserving fine details. Preserving fine details is what makes a so-so NR s/w Great. I have compared many images, and so have Randy, and others. The new Topaz DeNoise is a tab better than DxO, but not by much.
Yeah, I did...
Do you like the DXO Prime over the NIK NR, or are they about the same?

Anyone compared to Capture One's NR? LR NR?

Do you like the DXO Prime over the NIK NR, or are they about the same?

Anyone compared to Capture One's NR? LR NR?
I can't answer your questions but I can mention that the answers will likely vary depending on the type of photo you're referring to. As an example, you'll likely see differences when referring to a photo with lots of noise that also has lots of detail, such as in bird feathers. On the other hand, my hunch is that you'll likely see little differences when referring to a photo that has little detail of that nature. So, you'll probably get more helpful information about that if you explain the typical subject and shooting situation you're concerned about.

I'm mostly trying to evaluate DXO, C1, and LR CC, looking at the features and performance and trying to get a feel for how they do. You are right, one thing I'll need to do, is try to assess from those comparisons, as to which are more important than others (that'll be the hard part).

For my shooting, I do three major types of shots, all of which are as an enthusiast; candids (around home), travel documentary (work/vacation travel, local trips, special occasions - mostly building, places, statues, landmarks, etc), and motorsports (shooting a lot of high speed shots of cars for car club I'm in).

I don't usually shoot wildlife, and only some of nature (mountains, rivers, sunsets, beach). Not many of people (other than the obligatory birthday photos). I'll encounter low light occasionally, mostly with candids, never with motorsports.

I try my best to keep ISO low, as I don't like noisy shots.

With the products you're comparing, it's probably only a matter of personal preference.

I did several comparisons three or four years ago and settled with DxO. I'm still happy with my choice and have no interest in changing again.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom