Anyone Migrated from LR to Capture One or DXO?

Real Name
Paul
The LR CC (not Classic) is their “cloud” version and is different. It is designed to work primarily in the Creative Cloud ecosystem if I recall correctly. I honestly have never looked into it, but I think that is how it works. As you discovered, LR CC also has fewer features. To support those limited features and the Creative Cloud workflow, the storage format differs from the Classic database. Migrating from LR CC to LR CC Classic requires upgrading the database to support the additional features LR CC Classic offers (like your red eye reduction, etc) and different working model.
Lightroom CC, had a much simpler interface - easy to use - but lacked in some controls. They mentioned that everything is placed in the cloud, for access from mobile, web based, and desktop tool. Anywhere you have LR, and can access with Adobe account.

I didn't look to see if one can go back and forth between the LR CC and LR Classic. Would be interesting, if on travel. One could import photos, do some processing, and publish, and then when home, (maybe) copy into local catalog and do anything else desired?

Real Name
Paul
Looking at my subscription it looks like they are simplifying the names some...

1596334244386.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So I guess for shorthand, I can use LR for the cloud one, and LRC for the classic one.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
C1 can create new layers with masks from chosen colors in Color Editor. Then you can adjust the mask as desired if it selects more areas of the image than you wanted.

Go to Color Editor, click the Advanced tab (also works in Skin tab), choose a color, click the "View selected color range" at the bottom of the Color Editor, adjust the color editor range to your desired colors. With "View selected color range" checked, parts of the image outside the color range will appear monochrome. Once you have your desired color range, uncheck it, then click the "action" menu (three dots), and choose create "Create Masked Layer from Selection". This is a handy way to use a color selection as a way to create mask on a new layer. It will automatically select the new layer. You can then adjust the mask as you like. For example, if it selects areas of the image you don't want, you can erase the mask from those areas. Using floating tools in full screen mode can help with this as shown in my screen shots below.

With LR, if you use the color picker for the HSL to adjust a color, I don't know if you have no way to limit where in the image that is applied. For example, can you use the local adjustment brush to paint in a mask, then use the color picker on the HSL tool to limit where it applies the adjustment? That would be a good comparison and very handy feature.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 7.10.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 7.10.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 7.14.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 7.11.41 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 7.11.49 AM.png

[In Lightroom,] can you use the local adjustment brush to paint in a mask, then use the color picker on the HSL tool to limit where it applies the adjustment?

In Adobe Camera Raw, which has the same engine as Lightroom, you can erase any part of an adjustment made using the Brush, Radial Filter or Graduated Filter. I don't know of any way to limit the adjustment using the method you described, but erasing part of an adjustment would have the same effect. EDIT: I just now realized it actually does have a color picker that allows you to limit the range of colors to be affected. One or multiple colors can be defined. Instead of limiting colors, luminosity can be limited. There is also a "Depth" limiter but I haven't figured that out.

Last edited:
Paul, I'm impressed with the extremely thorough job you are doing with this evaluation, and with the copious notes you are sharing with us here at the Cafe. I understand that your comments reflect your views, and others probably would react differently, but your notes should still be a valuable resource for someone facing a similar choice.

Thanks again. I'm sure you'll let us know what your final choice is, and why.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
In Adobe Camera Raw, which has the same engine as Lightroom, you can erase any part of an adjustment made using the Brush, Radial Filter or Graduated Filter. I don't know of any way to limit the adjustment using the method you described, but erasing part of an adjustment would have the same effect. EDIT: I just now realized it actually does have a color picker that allows you to limit the range of colors to be affected. One or multiple colors can be defined. Instead of limiting colors, luminosity can be limited. There is also a "Depth" limiter but I haven't figured that out.
Good to know Mike. Capture One also has gradient, radial, and luminosity masks. You can even combine luminosity with gradient or radial masks to further manage the masking. Very powerful and flexible. And you can convert these adjustable masks into pixel masks and use brush and erase similar to what you describe with Adobe Camera Raw. And with these done within Capture One, you can always go back and adjust them any time.

Did you try DxO Clear View Plus? I think it is super.

I LOVE DxO Clear View Plus -- it can make an amazing difference in some images. Sometimes it is a bit too much and I decide not to use it, but I would say that I choose it for most of my images. Don't even need to bother with adjusting contrast when using it.

My approach to post-processing/editing is fairly simple and I don't get into all this stuff with masks and such, which is one reason I think I was overwhelmed by Capture One Pro when I attempted to use it a couple of years ago. It was an interesting, but frustrating experience and I soon realized that the software was way over my head and far, far more sophisticated than I actually need for my image editing process. I can see, though, why it would have great appeal for those who are much more into retouching and doing more with their images because they are using them for professional purposes.

Oh, I know -- and I use the slider but in some instances even at a minimal amount the effect becomes a little too strong; depends upon the subject and the overall image, of course. A goose swimming in tranquil, calm water looks great with Clear View Plus, but a goose swimming in choppy, rough water doesn't look as good because the water becomes so busy that it distracts from the main subject -- the goose and his or her feathers. I do love Clear View Plus, though, and as I said, I use it for many of my images because it is so terrific.

Real Name
Paul
C1 can create new layers with masks from chosen colors in Color Editor. Then you can adjust the mask as desired if it selects more areas of the image than you wanted.

Go to Color Editor, click the Advanced tab (also works in Skin tab), choose a color, click the "View selected color range" at the bottom of the Color Editor, adjust the color editor range to your desired colors. With "View selected color range" checked, parts of the image outside the color range will appear monochrome. Once you have your desired color range, uncheck it, then click the "action" menu (three dots), and choose create "Create Masked Layer from Selection". This is a handy way to use a color selection as a way to create mask on a new layer. It will automatically select the new layer. You can then adjust the mask as you like. For example, if it selects areas of the image you don't want, you can erase the mask from those areas. Using floating tools in full screen mode can help with this as shown in my screen shots below.

With LR, if you use the color picker for the HSL to adjust a color, I don't know if you have no way to limit where in the image that is applied. For example, can you use the local adjustment brush to paint in a mask, then use the color picker on the HSL tool to limit where it applies the adjustment? That would be a good comparison and very handy feature.

View attachment 1666820

View attachment 1666821

View attachment 1666824

View attachment 1666822

View attachment 1666823
For the shot I have, skin tone red, due to red canopy, I was able to use radial filters in LRC, invert them, and then lower saturation.

In C1, I could use the color editor and skin tone or advanced, and do the same thing. I could also paint a mask and then adjust the saturation, luminance, and hue.

DXO had a similar, paint and then adjust, capability.

Opinion: I think the C1 was the most versatile, just because of the variety of options and layers.

Real Name
Paul
Paul, I'm impressed with the extremely thorough job you are doing with this evaluation, and with the copious notes you are sharing with us here at the Cafe. I understand that your comments reflect your views, and others probably would react differently, but your notes should still be a valuable resource for someone facing a similar choice.

Thanks again. I'm sure you'll let us know what your final choice is, and why.
You're most welcome. I appreciate folks with experience in the various tools, giving suggestions as to what works best with a tool. There seem to be many ways to skin a cat here.

Real Name
Paul
Did you try DxO Clear View Plus? I think it is super.
With haze, the LRC dehaze tool was simple to use. Sometimes too aggressive, and I'd have to back off, or use a little NR as it seem to affect the sky (the images I have with haze are JPEGs so, not raws.

The DXO Clear View Plus did a pretty good job as well, and did seem quite as aggressive, so I didn't have to tweak as much.

C1 doesn't have such a tool. I tried to use gradients, but didn't really get as good of results (likely because I don't know how to adjust to remove haze).

Real Name
Walter Rowe
With haze, the LRC dehaze tool was simple to use. Sometimes too aggressive, and I'd have to back off, or use a little NR as it seem to affect the sky (the images I have with haze are JPEGs so, not raws.

The DXO Clear View Plus did a pretty good job as well, and did seem quite as aggressive, so I didn't have to tweak as much.

C1 doesn't have such a tool. I tried to use gradients, but didn't really get as good of results (likely because I don't know how to adjust to remove haze).
There are videos on YouTube where people illustrate different ways to reduce haze. I usually start with the Levels or Curves tool. Do it on a layer and you can apply it with a gradient or radial, use luma mask if needed, and then also adjust layer opacity. Some recommend setting layer opacity to 70%, then applying adjustments. That lets you increase layer opacity to strengthen them or reduce layer opacity to lessen them.

No denying that a direct dehaze tool like LR is easier.

Real Name
Paul
There are videos on YouTube where people illustrate different ways to reduce haze. I usually start with the Levels or Curves tool. Do it on a layer and you can apply it with a gradient or radial, use luma mask if needed, and then also adjust layer opacity. Some recommend setting layer opacity to 70%, then applying adjustments. That lets you increase layer opacity to strengthen them or reduce layer opacity to lessen them.

No denying that a direct dehaze tool like LR is easier.
Nice. I did find a video and it wasn't hard to create and adjustment and then save as a style.

Real Name
Paul
Update... I finished looking at LR and PS (since I'm familiar, it is more of a "what's new"). Making a spreadsheet of what's important to me, and how each tool addresses the items, along with some nits and bonus capabilities. About 2/3 way through that. Hope to have something by Thursday and make a decision, before the Adobe trial ends on Saturday.

You have a very methodical approach, Paul! ?
Best way to proceed, I think. No second guessing afterwards.

We should organize a poll on what your decision will be :)

Real Name
Paul
You have a very methodical approach, Paul! ?
Best way to proceed, I think. No second guessing afterwards.

We should organize a poll on what your decision will be :)
substitute /methodical/anal/ :)

Yeah do a poll! If enough people, I could just pick based on the poll results. :)
Vote early! vote often!

Latest threads

Top Bottom