Anyone notice introduction of color cast with pBase?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Feb 26, 2005.

1. Gordon and I have been discussing a seaside image I recentlly posted. Mine appears a bit flat, so he kindly touched it up. To my eye his version seemd to have a bit of green in the sky.

I've been experimenting with another image of the windowbox, the PBase version and the same image posted on nikoncafe. I can see a definite slight green color cast in the PBase stored image. Moving it to nikon cafe has further flattened the brilliance of the image.

I set up three screens of the identical image (all the same file) on my 19" high-end Sony LCD which I re-profiled. I'm using sRGB IEC61966-2.1 but that doesn't enter into the problem since I'm viewing all three images on the same monitor. The Photoshop image (sRGB) is bright, with balanced contrast and pleasing to my eye. while the identical image on PBase has a slight green cast along with loss of contrast on Nikon Cafe.

I've gone through every sRGB option in the Photoshop menu and can't place an image on PBase which matches the color or "pop" of the images om my computer.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm confident it's not how I utilize Photoshop or my technique (although I'm not foolish enough to think that I don't need to learn more). Does PBase do any processing to the images? Anyone have experience with SmugMug?

Thanks, Rich

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I use smugmug, and I like it pretty good. Honestly I haven't noticed any color or contrast degredation on my posts.

PBase uses an image program on their linux servers called Imagemagick as well as GD. Nikoncafe uses Imagemagick as well, however I know of no configuration for it to prevent degredation of peoples posts.

What does the image look like when you open them using the link to pbase in a new browser window and not through nikoncafe?

Thanks,

3. The image in PBase seems a bit unsaturated with a slight green cast. Unfortunately I can't show you the difference.

I might try SmugMug if they offer a trial.

Thanks,Rich