1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone own a 600/4 AFS Series II lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by ImageReflex, May 22, 2019.

1. I'm trying to get in touch with anyone who owns a 600mm f/4 AFS II lens (AFS Series II) lens. I believe that Nikon has a bug in the Z6 firmware, and the only way to tell for certain if the bug is in the firmware is to find someone else with the same lens.

If you have one, please PM me. Thanks.

2. I've never tried this but can you load the previous firmware and see if the lens works?

3. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    I have one, and my son in law has a z6 with adaptor. I've never tried his camera on my lens though.

4. Why don't you try calling a place like Lens Rentals? With the large amount of rental gear they have, perhaps they can be of service. Plus it might drive traffic to their site if they do post such a firmware bug on their blog. ;) 

5. Any chance you could try the combination to see what happens?

6. I tried calling Roberts’ Camera. They move a great deal of big glass on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the last of these particular lenses moved about 6 months ago, and they don’t have any at the moment.

7. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    I will try to get ahold of him today. I know they are traveling this weekend to Wyoming and will not return till Thursday of next week, but I don't think they leave until tomorrow(Saturday). Is that the issue? It will not recognize your lens?

My 600mm is the 600mm f/4 AFS II with no VR.

8. That's the one. The second AFS series Nikon made, and prior to VR. Yours looks like this one, correct?
    http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/afs6004ii.jpg

The issue is not so much one of recognition as it is understanding what the minimum aperture is. The lens communicates with the camera, and the camera is able to focus the lens. However, the LCD display on the top of the camera shows an fEE error, and the viewfinder displays a message about setting the lens to the minimum aperture (even though the lens is already set to, and locked on, the minimum aperture).

My theory is that Nikon somehow screwed up the firmware so that the camera thinks the minimum aperture on the 600 is smaller than f/22.

Nikon does not want to consider the possibility that it may have an error in the firmware, and insists it must be a problem with the cpu chip in my lens (even though the lens is understood by all of my other D bodies, e.g., D4s, D4, Df, D800).

I'd appreciate hearing what happens when you connect your lens to the FTZ adapter and the Z6. Please also let me know whether the version of the firmware loaded in the Z6. That information may help me convince Nikon where the real problem is.

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

Regards,
    --Sam

9. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    I put the Z6 on the 600mm lens and everything worked.

I moved the aperture all the way from f/4 - f/22 in M mode with the thumb and forefinger dials and it worked both on the Z6 top lcd and the rear screen. AF worked throughout as well. I also moved the actual lens aperture ring off of lock and it went to fEE.

He purchased the Z6 in December and has not updated the firmware. I didn't have time to look up the firmware version as they were anxious to get on the road trip. My daughter will look up firmware version as they travel and will report back to me.

They will return Friday and I can do more specific tests and conform the firmware number.

IMG_20190525_085905.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    IMG_20190525_085920.jpg
    IMG_20190525_090256.jpg

10. Brad, thanks for testing. That has helped narrow down the issue.

11. bmell

bmell

Feb 11, 2009
    Nebraska
    Sure thing, now the only issue is my son in law wants to borrow my 600 and I now want to add a Z6 to my bag...

• Funny Funny x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.