Anyone own a Nikon 18mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by rnyc1, Mar 22, 2007.

1. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    I was just wondering if anyone owns this lens?

If anyone has any examples taken with the Nikon 18mm f/2.8 - I'd love to see them.

Thanks.

2. I have been thinking of that one Robert, or - more realistically for me - the f/3.5 version (Ai-S). Should look great from your balcony...

3. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York

I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger on this one b/c of the mixed reviews. But am very curious.....

4. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Robert,
    I have both the AF 18/2.8D and the AiS 18mm/3.5.
    I am currently in Boston, can't access pictures with the Af 18mm on my home computer (turned off), but I do have one with the AiS 18mm/3.5

regards,
    Andy

Here is the high resolution version
    large.

5. I was thinking about this lens too.
    My feeling -from reading reviews only- is that it is not as good as the 17-35 or the 17-50 at the 18 setting, mainly because of the older design.
    Also it is not any faster than the zooms, and it is quite big and expensive too.
    I would like to hear from users that have actually used the lens though.

6. mingaun

mingaun

Jun 13, 2006
    Malaysia
    Wow. Thats a great shot! Loved it. Good looking GS.

7. I bought the AF 18mm lens several years ago. I was extremely disappointed with its results and sold it right away. It had just about every problem you can think a lens can have. Any of the zooms (with maybe the exception of the 18-35mm) can do better at the 18mm focal length.

Here is what Bjørn has to say about the lens.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_wide.html

Best regards,

Paul

8. I'll 2nd that! It almost looked as it is alive!

9. rnyc1

rnyc1

Mar 27, 2006
    New York
    Andy - that is a great shot. Wonderful composition.

10. Erik Gunst Lund

Erik Gunst Lund

Jan 27, 2006
    I have the 18mm AFD f/2.8.
    My sample is very good, about the same quality as the 20mm f/2.8, 20-35mm f/2.8 and 17-35mm AFS f/2.8.
    Build quality is outstanding, i think it is a very nice wide, 'small lens' for DSLR and very wide for a SLR.
    The 18mm is much smaller/lighter than the 14mm f/2.8 and it has threads for Pol filter etc.
    Highly recommended !

11. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Robert, Airbiscuit and Mingaun,

thank you for the kind words. my shepard is probably the most patient model I have access to. Just tell him where you need him and what to do and he will deliver :smile:

Andy

That's another one of him, albeit with the 200mm/2 VR. (High Resolution)
    large.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.