Anyone planning on using the MB-D80 Grip?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by ERAUGrad04, Sep 10, 2008.

1. ERAUGrad04

ERAUGrad04

Jan 15, 2008
    IL
    I am thinking about picking up one of these grips, just was wondering what everyone's opinions are on the grip. How is the fit/finish when mounted up? Does the drip have the same feel as the body?

Thanks!
    Morgan

2. timkoo

timkoo

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago
    Used it on my D80 and plan to use it on my D90 :) 

Can't shoot without one... Felt close to the same finish as the D80, don't have my D90 yet though.

3. I will get one this weekend. I have held one and feels solid just like the body.

4. One thing you will notice is the shutter release button is much lighter than the standard. You'll also have trouble selecting different AF points since it does not have the multi-selector like the MB-D10 grip. The grip part of it is rubber, unlike that of the D80's grip. It feels nicer, like the rubberized grip of the higher cams like the D300 or D3.

5. I have one on my D80. It's good but it's not perfect.

1) It isn't "rock-solid" when attached, no matter how much I tighten it. There's still a tiny bit of play that you notice. I've seen others complain about this as well. Dunno if a little shim would help or not. I'm surprised Nikon didn't make it tighter.

2) As mentioned above, the shutter release is not the same quality as what is on the camera! It is a fairly cheap plastic button and is, in comparison, hair-trigger. When you first use it you will accidentally take some shots if you think you're half-pressing the shutter. It's that sensitive, with little tactile "stop" when you half-press vs. full-press. However, it took me all of ten minutes to get used to it and I half-press with it routinely now.

But the benefits of a more natural hold of portrait shots outweigh the issues above. It also makes for a better balance when using heavier lenses, with much better handling.

I also like being able to use my rechargeable AA's.

I would not want to use it on a tripod because I don't think it's as stable as with the grip off. A bit more flex in the set-up, that little wiggle I mentioned above, etc. I always take the grip off before using it on a tripod. Don't bother buying an L-plate or body plate for it, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  6. For me the answer is a resounding no. One of the reasons why I opted for the D90 over the D300, despite the insignificant difference in price (a brand new D300 could have been had for as little as $1380 after cashback as recently as two weeks ago) is size and weight. The D70/D80 (and I assume the D90) feel right in my hand, the D200/D300 is just too bulky and heavy. I have no plans of bulking up the D90.

7. I have the MB-D80 on my D90 and it feels like it is an integrated part of the camera. It fits really tight and there is absolutely no play.

The shutter release on the grip isn't the same silver button that is on the camera, but in terms of trigger feel and response, it is identical to the trigger on the camera body. I have no issues when I "half press vs full press". Perhaps Nikon needs to work on the quality control of their accessories?

Whole heartedly agree with you on this! :biggrin:

Because I don't have the wriggling issues with my MB-D80, I use it on my tripod often without any adverse affects.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.