anyone run a SB-700 with 2 SB-600's?

hey guys/gals,
just wondering if anyone runs a SB-700 with 2 SB-600's ???
i have 2 600s now and i would like to buy a 700 as a master. i cant afford the 900 rite now so i just wanna know what to expect if i cheap out on not going to the 900?

Yes, but in general case, it would not be much distinguishable from just using the D90 internal flash as commander. Both must be on the camera, both only control two remote groups, and both can be disabled (with mode "- -") in commander menu so that whichever builtin flash is disabled.

Have you used the D90 commander?
If not, see http://www.scantips.com/lights/awl.html

That happens to be D300 with SB-800, but all those (with commander) are the same.

The biggest advantage of the SB700 (or the 800/900 for that matter) is that you can swivel the head to point more specifically at the remotes. This is especially useful outdoors.

Yes, but in general case, it would not be much distinguishable from just using the D90 internal flash as commander. Both must be on the camera, both only control two remote groups, and both can be disabled (with mode "- -") in commander menu so that whichever builtin flash is disabled.

Have you used the D90 commander?
If not, see http://www.scantips.com/lights/awl.html

That happens to be D300 with SB-800, but all those (with commander) are the same.

my D90 does control my off camera 600s BUT it doesnt supply enough light head on to my subjects sadly. and i cant use a 600 as a master so im "S.O.L."

what about more light?is the 700 alot more then the 600? and is the 900 way more then the 700?

They are all much more the same power than not. The SB-900 is slightly the strongest, the SB-700 is slightly the weakest, and the SB-600 is more in the middle, but these are tiny small power differences, unimportant. For hot shoe use, there are different modes, like DX and FX, but still not a large difference, and not a factor at all in off camera remote use.

my D90 does control my off camera 600s BUT it doesnt supply enough light head on to my subjects sadly. and i cant use a 600 as a master so im "S.O.L."

True, the camera internal flash is less than 1/4 power of the SB-600, but typically, when using two remote flashes for main and fill, any commander flash is disabled anyway. On camera is not where you want the light. Living room portraits for example, you want the flashes in umbrellas.

In the case of a D300 commander, and a SB-800 commander, the D300 commander has nearly double the range of the SB-800 commander or the SU-800 commander (how much the hot shoe commander is zoomed can be a variable factor).

To each his own ideas, but my own notion is the D90 commander (with internal flash disabled) and two remote SB-600 is essentially the best case - functionally and theoretically, and less weight and bulk at the camera, and also practically, which you already have, and does not involve spending another $325 for very little useful purpose. :smile: I personally would want to become familiar with it, to be certain there was some realistic argument against it, before spending another bundle of cash that doesn't really do anything.

In the case of a D300 commander, and a SB-800 commander, the D300 commander has nearly double the range of the SB-800 commander or the SU-800 commander (how much the hot shoe commander is zoomed can be a variable factor).

To each his own ideas, but my own notion is the D90 commander (with internal flash disabled) and two remote SB-600 is essentially the best case - functionally and theoretically, and also practically, which you already have, and does not involve spending another $325 for very little useful purpose. :smile:

Wayne, is it your experience that the popup has twice the range? I remember Uncle Frank posting a while back that it performed very well compared to an SU800, but nearly double the range is very surprising - and not my experience.

Again, I would say that the best reason for using an external flash as commander is the directionality it affords when shooting in situations that bounced light doesn't help.

Wayne, while true that the amount of light from the commander flash is usually enough for general fill light, though it is pretty conained. On axis/On Camera fill is making a big comeback of late (courtesy of David Hobby and others) via ring flash or even a flash directly behind the photog with an umbrella or other diffuser.

I didn't realize that the D300 commander was that powerful.

To the OP, I love my SB-700, and think it is leaps and bounds better than the SB-600s. From what I have read is you give up a little on power from the SB-900, but unless you are going to be trying to outshoot the sun (but then you could add your SB-600s) you should be fine. I have only wished for the SB-900 in large dark churches.

Wayne, while true that the amount of light from the commander flash is usually enough for general fill light, though it is pretty conained. On axis/On Camera fill is making a big comeback of late (courtesy of David Hobby and others) via ring flash or even a flash directly behind the photog with an umbrella or other diffuser.

This is true. I have started using on-axis fill much more for headshots recently (albeit much higher than the camera position).

Also, I have been playing with Quantum flashes more since I bought a Quantum Trio for on-camera use. Turns out that a Quantum T5D-5 off camera, with the on-camera Trio for fill, produces pretty nice light!

Wayne, is it your experience that the popup has twice the range? I remember Uncle Frank posting a while back that it performed very well compared to an SU800, but nearly double the range is very surprising - and not my experience.

Yes, more or less - except I see now the fuzzy math in head misstated inaccurately - instead of half, SB-800 was almost 3/4 range of D300.

Part of something else, but results are at http://www.scantips.com/lights/slaves.html#awl

Not a usable "working" situation of course, more a theoretical absolute maximum, but in this (same) situation...

D300 commander - triggered at 120 feet

D300 commander with SG-3IR red filter like SU-800 has - 77 feet

SB-800 commander - 88 feet at 24 mm zoom (matching D300).

Outdoors is certainly something different, I will defer there. But I find essentially zero D300 triggering issues for umbrella use in the living room. Camera commander has one advantage of always being zoomed wide to 24mm. :smile: Even for cases (tabletops, etc) when the flash is literally behind the camera (wider than 90 degrees), seems to just work (if not too far from camera).

I have never understood how the internal flash can so reliably trigger an overhead flash on a flash bracket, even in wide open spaces outdoors in sunshine, with absolutely no possibility of any line of sight or reflection.

But uses like hiding a background light behind the subject are essentially impossible for the commander. Directivity is not going to help.

To the OP, I love my SB-700, and think it is leaps and bounds better than the SB-600s. From what I have read is you give up a little on power from the SB-900, but unless you are going to be trying to outshoot the sun (but then you could add your SB-600s) you should be fine. I have only wished for the SB-900 in large dark churches.

this is what i wanted to know also so thank you. i would only assume that it is brighter and just a small bit underpowered from the 900.

There is not much power difference among any of them (except the SB-400). Power is not likely the reason you would choose one.

Guide Number specs, from the published manual.

24 mm zoom (suitable for umbrellas)

SB-600 FX GN 85 - 10 feet at f/8.5
SB-700 FX GN 76 - 10 feet at f/7.6
SB-800 FX GN 98 - 10 feet at f/9.8
SB-900 FX GN 87 - 10 feet at f/8.7
SB-400 FX GN 69 - 10 feet at f/6.9

f/7.6 to f/8.7 is about 0.4 stops

mostly i do cars and bikes. i need more power without lugging around strobes. my 600s just dont cut it no matter how i use or tune them. i need a master to control as well as give me more light. if i could afford 3 900s i would have them lol i just cant so i thought this would be a cheaper option. im gonna go to the store today and play with all 3 and see the difference.

For commanding remotes, the SU-800 or SB-900 coupled with RP PX Transmitter bests all in my opinion but they cost a nice chunk of change...

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom