1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

anyone seen a Nikon 55-200 DX lens yet?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Scott Sherman, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I am interested in this lens but at about $250, I can't help but wonder if it is going to be just another door stop after awhile.

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I dare to say it s a good and sharp lens, pretty free from distortions. I like the range it has, but the AF is slow.

3. Thank you for your response. Is it similar to the 80-400 VR for speed of AF?

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Scott,

I have not compared them directly, but I think they are in the same league in terms of speed.

5. Here are some pics that I have taken with my 55-200. I really haven't taken full advantage of this lens yet. I've been giving more attention to my 50mm 1.8 lens instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I handled one this weekend.

My purpose in going into the shop that day was to but the wow-whata-lens old MF 105mmf/2.5 that is dazzling me at the moment. (I'm fondling it as I type...makes me feel more virile).

Compared to most Nikkors, notably that day the old 105, it feels like a toy with the plastic mount and construction, but if it compares favorably in performance to the 24-120 at 100mm and to the 70-300ED at 200mm it would make a great light walkabout lens.

Maybe for $250 I'm hoping for too much...anybody really looked at this new offering??

Nburwell: have you tested it against the 50.1.8 at, say, f/5.6? If it even aproaches the 50 prime that would be most impressive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.