anyone seen a Nikon 55-200 DX lens yet?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Scott Sherman, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I am interested in this lens but at about $250, I can't help but wonder if it is going to be just another door stop after awhile.

2. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I dare to say it s a good and sharp lens, pretty free from distortions. I like the range it has, but the AF is slow.

3. Thank you for your response. Is it similar to the 80-400 VR for speed of AF?

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Scott,

I have not compared them directly, but I think they are in the same league in terms of speed.

5. Here are some pics that I have taken with my 55-200. I really haven't taken full advantage of this lens yet. I've been giving more attention to my 50mm 1.8 lens instead.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I handled one this weekend.

My purpose in going into the shop that day was to but the wow-whata-lens old MF 105mmf/2.5 that is dazzling me at the moment. (I'm fondling it as I type...makes me feel more virile).

Compared to most Nikkors, notably that day the old 105, it feels like a toy with the plastic mount and construction, but if it compares favorably in performance to the 24-120 at 100mm and to the 70-300ED at 200mm it would make a great light walkabout lens.

Maybe for $250 I'm hoping for too much...anybody really looked at this new offering??

Nburwell: have you tested it against the 50.1.8 at, say, f/5.6? If it even aproaches the 50 prime that would be most impressive.