Anyone seen this?

I take my SD card out of the D850 and plug it into the reader on my IMac. Click the "Get photos from camera" and in the little thumbnails that come up it looks like they are loading fine, I can see the photos I took. When I open the folder with the images, I see a bunch of .NEF files - not the usual photos. I click on one and it says Abobe can't recgonize this format. I've done this a lot, I don't think I changed any settings/etc. No idea what is going on. I get the same error with both cards. Same thing is happening with D500 files.

Last edited:
I apparently need to update my mac to something past 10.12.n to run it. What a PIA this is turning into. I'm going to look at Affinity, this Adobe/Mac crap is getting old. Is this DNG thing a new feature we're going to have to use to load photos?

I was chatting with Adobe support, and then had to run off the Dr's office to get checked for pneumonia. Got home late from the hospital and just decided to try what Adobe suggested - renaming cameraraw to cameraraw.old, installing 11.4 camera raw and trying it again.
It worked. No clue as to what changed to make this problem occur, the IMac was shutdown since last week, we were in Oregon.

Issues with RAW files are not typically a computer issue, but a software issue and it would affect all RAW converters. In general RAW is not a native format for any operating system so it requires "converters" or "viewers" for them to work and that's what Adobe RAW and the like do. Apple has their own RAW viewer but there are two sides to this: RAW format created by your camera and RAW converter/viewer available through your software. If those aren't in sync, you may not be able to view the images.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom