Anyone stayed/visited Warrenton Virginia?

Hi Everyone,

I'm driving my family to Myrtle Beach for our vacation and I can't drive the 16 hours in one shot so I'm looking to find a place to stay for the night somewhere along I-81 / I-66 / Hwy 17S and Warrenton came up as only being 10 hours away. I know nothing of this town so I'm hoping someone here can offer some words of advice - something along the lines of nice place to stay with the family or keep driving!

I'm open to suggestions but would prefer to stay along the route as much as possible instead of venturing further east into Manassas/D.C. area.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Brent

Hi Everyone,

I'm driving my family to Myrtle Beach for our vacation and I can't drive the 16 hours in one shot so I'm looking to find a place to stay for the night somewhere along I-81 / I-66 / Hwy 17S and Warrenton came up as only being 10 hours away. I know nothing of this town so I'm hoping someone here can offer some words of advice - something along the lines of nice place to stay with the family or keep driving!

I'm open to suggestions but would prefer to stay along the route as much as possible instead of venturing further east into Manassas/D.C. area.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Brent

There is a Hampton Inn in Martinsburg, WV not far north of Warrenton. Just off of I-81. I've stayed there and it was quite nice. There are other chain hotels/motels in the same area as well.

Hope this helps.

Hi Bert,

Thanks for taking the time to offer the suggestion … I'll look into it.

Originally I was planning on driving to Gettysburg and showing my girls the battlefield as I've been there four times and it's only 8 hours away but with it being the 150th anniversary of the battle, there's not much in the way of hotel rooms …

Thanks again,

Brent

Hi Brent,

Warrenton, VA is nice small-med town. It's in the middle of VA horse country in Fauquier County. It's a safe area. You can find cheap/clean chain hotels in that area for overnight accommodations.

Here are some options for you to consider:
40 miles north of Warrenton on US17 is Winchester, VA. Big town, lots of hotels, restaurants and shopping.

35-40 miles further south on US17 & I95 will take you to Fredericksburg, VA. This is a lot bigger, busier than Warrenton with many hotels, restaurants and shopping.

40 miles further south on I95 is Ashland, VA which is very close to the Kings Dominion amusement park. There are hotels there too. It is summer season so availability or high cost is a factor.

These are all on your way en route to Mrytle Beach. I hope this helps. God speed. :smile:

There are lots of roadside hotels in Winchester. I usually stay at the Best Western there. If you have young kids, Dinosaur Land is near by.
Pete

Thanks Pete,

Just checked out the BW … we are only stopping long enough to sleep & eat & then back on the road the following day. I'll be spending enough money on the oceanside condo … don't need my girls hijacking the trip to stop at every amusement park & mall!

Brent

Brent,

I noticed your route using I81 to US17 to I95 That is the alternative to using I95 South starting in Philly.

IIRC, I81 is 2 lane and is prone to road construction and has lots of commercial traffic. I17 is also 2 lane with a speed limit of 50 mph. The horse-people & farmers don't like speeding, so I17 has it's share of VA St Troopers patrolling.

I95 is 6-8 lanes, a major thoroughfare with tolls and lots with traffic. But it moves, some areas have 65 mph. The major choke points at the Wilson Bridge II (crossing the Potomac River) and the Mixing Bowl in NVa have been mitigated. You will see MD and VA State Troopers however if you go with the flow, they usually won't pull cars over because it will disrupt traffic more.

NVa is about 8 hours from Mrytle Beach, SC. If you can make Springfield, VA or points south from Ottawa on your first leg, there are plenty of hotel and restaurants in NVa.

It's something to consider.

I live in N. VA----

If you are driving there on weekend, I recommend the route you've chosen. I just went from N. Va to Atlantic Beach, NC from Memorial day weekend to first weekend in June. I went down local Rt 28 to RT17 in Bealeton (south of Warrenton) then 17 to Fredericksburg where I picked up 95 south. Given it was holiday weekend I had not traffic whatsoever. The road to Richmond around Doswell Kings Dom is kinda crappy. Expect some delays there due to that and park traffic. Go thru 95 thru Richmond vs. 295 bypass.

I say stay away from 95 from Philly thru Stafford/Fredericksburg on weekends and rush hour. Too much traffic and construction for HOT lanes besides bad drivers.

There are many hotel options for you along your route, plan your stop accordingly.

Good luck and have fun! And use the WAZE app!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I agree with John's recommendation to avoid I-95 near the DC metro area. The further south you can go before picking up I-95, the better. There is NO good time for traffic in the Washington DC metro area.

Atlantic Beach is right way to choose for your best and easy way. Because of holiday you can find this with less traffic burden which makes your journey rememberable and less time taking.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - I appreciate it. Been busy this weekend so I haven't had any time to continue to plan my route or look for lodgings.

I'm leaving July 5, so I'll be travelling during your 4th of July long weekend so I'd like to try and avoid as much hassle with traffic as possible … but I would also prefer to stay away from Philly to DC corridor so I'll try to get on I-95 at Fredericksburg.

The search continues …

Thanks again,

Brent

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom