Anyone still using XQD cards on their D500?

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I finally switched to using XQD as primary and got some Lexars, my 1st 64gb cards
Well Randy. What is your experience now that you have the new XQD card? It's fast isn't it! The camera clears the buffer so much quicker.
Mike

Yep me too, both XQD and SDHC UHS-II cards in use and 1 spare. I do not really need the extra buffer XQD gives, but it's nice to know that it can do it. For wildlife just raw to the XQD, for events raw to the XQD and JPEG to the SD so I can drop it off at our social media person and swap it next time I'm near her..

D

DW Brewer

I used SD when I bought the D500 because the XQD cards I wanted were back-ordered (i.e., didn't arrive with the camera). That gave me an opportunity to "test SD cards in the camera" while I was learning about the camera and its features. When the XQD cards arrived, I switched and haven't looked back. When I am on a shoot and figure to be imaging a lot, I use the XQD cards (for all the reasons others have already mentioned). If I spot something in the yard I wish to image (bird, wildlife, insect, etc.) I grab an SD card, combine the camera with the appropriate lens, and head out the door, figuring I won't be shooting a couple hundred images where bursts and downloading speeds are important.
As far as the Lexar vs. Sony issue, I went with Sony, primarily because they developed the format, have the most interest in the success of the format, etc. Other than price (and XQD is more expensive than SD, no matter the brand) I have no gripes. The XQD cards perform as advertised and that's good enough for me. No card failures with XQD (so far, knock on wood).

Real Name
Randy
Well Randy. What is your experience now that you have the new XQD card? It's fast isn't it! The camera clears the buffer so much quicker.
Mike
I'm pretty sure I'm not getting anything I didn't get before mainly because I don't do long bursts and not many short ones at that. I do love the way the D5 has 2 of the same cards.

I used multiple Sony XQD cards in my D500 last August to shoot 6000+ images in 5 days at Bonneville. No problems at all. I also used both SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-I SDXC and SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO UHS-II SDXC media as backup to test dual card write performance, depending on the situation. Generally I shoot bursts at 7fps, but for some racers I used long sequences of 9fps. I did not see enough difference between the UHS-I and the UHS-II SD media in write to media performance in my D500 to justify the significant difference in SD prices for my use. The XQD cards were noticeably faster to write, versus either SD media card. I never had a buffer limit issue with the XQD alone, so I've added more XQD versus SD.

Lexar branding and trademark rights has been taken over, what the future of XQD is, is uncertain.
Lexar - Wikipedia
Yep, just as unclear as the future or SD, CF, CF Fast or anything else you have ever heard of.
For those concerned, why not just buy enough cards for your needs and see which dies first. Based upon past experience, you will most likely sell the camera before either dies.

Lexar made XQD cards. The new owner of the brand isn't making XQD cards, yet. There hasn't been any sign that they will, but who knows. That's what I meant. I think it's healthier for a memory card format's future and price $/GB if there are more then one brand making them and a wide range of products one can use them in.

Yep, just as unclear as the future or SD, CF, CF Fast or anything else you have ever heard of.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Unfortunately Nikon seems to be about the only user of XQD cards.....and they didn't even give the consumer 2 XQD slots in the D850. Canon has went with CFast cards and that makes me think the CFast card may become the standard.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom