Anyone still using XQD cards on their D500?

Remember back a year or so ago when the D500 was newly released and there was a scramble to get the fastest XQD card - at a premium price back then? Well I had 4-5 of them and - I'm now down to one - that being a Sony card. Don't know what happened to the other cards!
I've been relying primarily on the SD card slot for a while and am reluctant to invest in the fast XQD cards again - no doubt to misplace/lose them again. I do shoot birds in flight - so the argument could be made the an XQD card may give that extra little bit of frames/second.
What's everyone else doing if I may ask?

Real Name
Randy
Just the 1 card just in case
I see no need to buy xqd cards, my sd cards have never jammed a camera, in other words they are still faster than I need

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I never used SD's until I got the D500. Before I used only CF cards. NowI have 3 XQD's....but then the D5 only takes XQDs! . I will back up to external HD's....and re-use the cards. I'll probably bum some SD's off hubby for the D500 if needed! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I only use the XQD cards Karen, if fact I just bought a 64 g XQD card. It seemed as though my D500 slowed down when it switched to the SD card even though the SD was the fastest one available. I'm happy with the XQD and I've never experienced any issues with them.
Dang! Just when I thought I could resist the urge to buy MORE! LOL!

Real Name
Bill Mellen
XQD and SD UHS-II for now. No reason to not have a backup.

I have had 3 different SD card failures and Zero XQD card failures so far.

Also have had bent pins on Compact flash cards.

So far the only failure on an XQD card was a broken tab. The card itself did not fail, but it was. Not as easy to remove.

XQD cards seem more robust for me.

Thanks for your replies everyone. For me, SD cards performance wise would seem to be adequate. I do agree with Bill M that XQD cards appear to be robust and would worry about card failures on the SD. My only issue is that I seem to lose/misplace only the most expensive cards:(. I may just pick up another one or two XQD cards.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for your replies everyone. For me, SD cards performance wise would seem to be adequate. I do agree with Bill M that XQD cards appear to be robust and would worry about card failures on the SD. My only issue is that I seem to lose/misplace only the most expensive cards:(. I may just pick up another one or two XQD cards.
Sure would be nice to find them on sale. A couple of months ago B&H had them for only about 10%. Let us know if find any deals! LOL!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Thanks will do...I looked at a 128 megabyte one recently, it was ~$400 Canadian...I will wait for a sale
Considering how many images a 64 gb can hold, even that size makes me nervous! LOL! Even though the price is cheaper for the 128 gb ones......

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I only have the D500 for a couple of months now. When I got the camera I got the fastest Lexar 64Gb card I gould get in QXD & SD, eich one are 64GB cards. I couldn't believe how much faster the QXD card is compared to the SD card. I do believe that QXD is here to stay and will only get faster in time. I would have loved if the D500 had twin QXD slots and I also think that when the D810's replacement finely arrives that it should have twin QXD slots to handle the larger Megapixels files. I hate the small size of Sd cards and their limited speeds of older technology. I also got the Lexar card readers in QXD & SD but rarely use them. I use the USB 3 connection lead that came with the camera as I wont have the problem of losing these smaller form factor cards of forgetting to put them back in the camera.
Regards.
Mike

I have had no problems using the same SD cards in my D500 and D800E. I recently bought 2 XQD cards to be able to have multi-card backup when shooting "for pay" gigs, and to do some 4K video with the D500. I also bought one 64GB UHS-II SD card and I found the difference in performance between it and the UHS-I SD cards to be minimal. The XQD cards are noticably faster, but it is not worth the significant extra expense for UHS-II SD cards in my experience. YMMV

What kind of speeds are folks getting downloading photos to a computer using XQD cards. Using a Sony 32 G card that came with the card reader, I get about 32 Mb/s in a 3X USB connection.

Real Name
Randy
I have had no problems using the same SD cards in my D500 and D800E. I recently bought 2 XQD cards to be able to have multi-card backup when shooting "for pay" gigs, and to do some 4K video with the D500. I also bought one 64GB UHS-II SD card and I found the difference in performance between it and the UHS-I SD cards to be minimal. The XQD cards are noticably faster, but it is not worth the significant extra expense for UHS-II SD cards in my experience. YMMV
My thinking is if a D4 never misses a beat on a 10 shot burst why not use SD, if I didn't already own SD cards then I'd use XQD

Real Name
(Mike) Michael Skerritt.
I only use XQD cards. Looking forward to a D820 that uses them and then I won't need anything else.

That's the way I am thinking also. I hope that Nikon fits two of them in the D820!!!! But if they don't hurry up I will just get the D810 next month!!
Mike

Latest threads

Top Bottom