Anyone still using XQD cards on their D500?

Unfortunately Nikon seems to be about the only user of XQD cards.....and they didn't even give the consumer 2 XQD slots in the D850. Canon has went with CFast cards and that makes me think the CFast card may become the standard.

Actually it is the CFast card that has become obsolete, replaced by CFExpress which shares its form factor with that of XQD. Reportedly there will be a firmware update that will allow a CFExpress card to function in an XQD slot.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Actually it is the CFast card that has become obsolete, replaced by CFExpress which shares its form factor with that of XQD. Reportedly there will be a firmware update that will allow a CFExpress card to function in an XQD slot.
The point was XQD cards do not appear to be gaining traction in the marketplace. If a f/w change would allow use of CFExpress cards, that would be fantastic. IF Nikon would offer the f/w update........

Beta was always better than VHS, but we saw how that all ended.
Love the XQD's have 8 in rotation for over a year and 80K+ images
zero issues. Just sayin'...all my D500's have ever seen. YMMV.

Last edited:
I believe Sony will continue to make XQD cards for the time being since they are used in Sony's popular FS7 video cameras. At some point I would expect both XQD and CFast will disappear leaving the XQD twin CFExpress still standing.

Real Name
Doug
Beta was always better than VHS, but we saw how that all ended.
Love the XQD's have 8 in rotation for over a year and 80K+ images
zero issues. Just sayin'...all my D500's have ever seen. YMMV.
Back in the day....

28277126_1846781125355694_4492536839506925316_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Doug
I believe Sony will continue to make XQD cards for the time being since they are used in Sony's popular FS7 video cameras. At some point I would expect both XQD and CFast will disappear leaving the XQD twin CFExpress still standing.
I think you are right. The net effect for those of us with Nikon camera bodies that use XQD is that cards should remain available for the likely lifetimes of those cameras but the price will almost certainly go up (single supplier, low volume product). As Randy noted above, buying a couple of extras right now might be wise.

I have every expectation that when the CFExpress cards become generally available there will be a Nikon firmware release that will allow their use (and continued XQD use) in Nikon XQD slot bodies. Wouldn't be surprised to see a future D5s model with CFExpress support.

But then I'm an optimist :)

Last edited:
Real Name
Steve
I'd expect the A7Siii to use dual XQD cards if there is physically enough room. That's where it will shine, at least one XQD slot is a good bet for a video-centric body.

I use them both in my D850, I like it better than the Cf card in D810, but couldn't quantify why... maybe because it is new and I like shiny things.

Have read about CFExpress cards. Have also read that they could also be used in cameras supporting XQD cards with a firmware update. This sounds very exciting, however, I am not holding my breath. If we were dealing with Fuji or Sony, the firmware would already be available. But we’re dealing with Nikon! It could be years (or never) before there is a firmware fix. Actually, by the time Nikon gets around to it, there will be a totally different and better card!

Real Name
Ian
Have read about CFExpress cards. Have also read that they could also be used in cameras supporting XQD cards with a firmware update. This sounds very exciting, however, I am not holding my breath. If we were dealing with Fuji or Sony, the firmware would already be available. But we’re dealing with Nikon! It could be years (or never) before there is a firmware fix. Actually, by the time Nikon gets around to it, there will be a totally different and better card!
And what do you need the speed that CFExpress offers for? The only cameras that use XQD are the D4s, D5, D500, and D850. Are you having issues with any of the above cameras where the speed that XQD offers isn't sufficient?

When shooting with XQD & SD, the D850 can rattle off ~50 14-bit lossless RAWs before the buffer fills up. Testing has shown that if you take out the SD, the buffer increases to ~85 files. Are you shooting a D850 where you need better buffer clearing performance? And remember, you're always going to be limited by your slowest card, so even with a CFExpress card, if you have an SD card in the camera, you're going to be limited by its speed (assuming you're duplicating files to each card).

Latest threads

Top Bottom