Anyone successfully using the Eye-Fi sd card

with a CF card adaptor in a D3, D2xs,D2h or for that matter a d700 or even a d100? I have an Eye-Fi sd card and it works great in the Canon G10 but I would really like to use it in one of my other D pro bodies.

I just received the SDCH II/ CF card adaptor and I'm pleased to report that the Eye-Fi (4 Gb non-pro) wifi sdhc/cf card adaptor combination works just fine in the D2h and the D100... the range is quite limited but I found a link the showed removing the metal top of the adaptor improved the performanc by 3 times. Later this week I'll try the D3 and D700 and report back.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're gonna have to find one of the adapters via google that works "anecdotally". I think there may be a thread on the eye-fi site where some users talk about adapters. Seems the main issue is that the usable working distance between the body and whatever the eye-fi is transmitting to is reduced anywhere from marginally to significantly.

Please let us know if you find out anything. I'm not the only one wanting one of these and just haven't got it, yet. I plan to get one as soon as I figure out what my next portable comouter will be (likely either an iPad2 or the next MacBook Air).

You're gonna have to find one of the adapters via google that works "anecdotally". I think there may be a thread on the eye-fi site where some users talk about adapters. Seems the main issue is that the usable working distance between the body and whatever the eye-fi is transmitting to is reduced anywhere from marginally to significantly.

Please let us know if you find out anything. I'm not the only one wanting one of these and just haven't got it, yet. I plan to get one as soon as I figure out what my next portable comouter will be (likely either an iPad2 or the next MacBook Air).

Eye-Fi doesn't work with a d700 because their isn't any SD - CF (Type 1) Adapter

Thank you both.

I was able to find lots of comments on the eye-fi/Cf adaptor combo in regard to working or not working with a number of Canon SLRs and a few comments on it working in the Nikon D100 but that it reduced the range to a mere 12-15 feet. As it turns out this was the earlier version of the Eye-Fi, not the new Eye-Fi X2. However, I did find a link to some information regarding the Eye-Fi X2 which indicates that it will NOT work with ANY Nikon CF card cameras. Up to to that point I was unaware that there was an earlier version of the Eye-Fi, hence the confusion. I had already ordered an inexpensive sd card adaptor so I guess I'll give it a try and report back on which of any cameras it works.

This card does work great in my Canon G10 and on the iMac.. I haven't tried it yet with the MBP but it should work just fine.

Upload time via the Airport Extreme to iMac 27' for the G10 (4416x3312 jpg superfine - Large 15mp image) = about 22 seconds for the first frame and about 84 seconds for 4 frames shot in rapid succession. As expected, the upload time varied somewhat with my position in the room.

An impromptu outdoor (ones-shot trial) 40ft from the Airport extreme through a dual-pane sliding glass door, and one interior wall took 1min 55 sec to upload.

Also, I noticed that if I put the G10 down (setting it upright on it's bottom) as it was uploading multiple images, the upload time went up drastically. It seems that placing the G10 on it's side with the bottom of the camera pointed in the general direction of the router works best in my situation.

Eye-Fi doesn't work with a d700 because their isn't any SD - CF (Type 1) Adapter

Oh, jeez - I forgot that little tidbit!
I can't believe Eye-Fi is still not making a CF version; although they will occasionally drop a tease about it on the forums. They keep selling the notion of using their product in a "pro" capacity, but they are missing the fact that most pro cameras are still using CF cards...

It's not a desire limitation, it's a technology limitation. There is a very long thread about this on the dgrin forums, with some insight offered by the eyefi guys.

I'll have to check that out. Link? It seems like virtually anything doable with an SD card would be even easier with a larger CF card! Guess all isn't as it appears :frown:

Update

I just received the SDCH II/ CF card adaptor and I'm pleased to report that the Eye-Fi (4 Gb non-pro) wifi sdhc/cf card adaptor combination works just fine in the D2h and the D100... the range is quite limited but I found a link the showed removing the metal top of the adaptor improved the performanc by 3 times. Later this week I'll try the D3 and D700 and report back

It probably won't work in the D700 since they have a single Type I CF slot which is 3.3mm thick. However, your SDHC to CF adapter is likely a Type II device which is 5mm thick.

The D100, D2H and D3 have either one or two Type II CF card slots and hence the SDHC to CF adapter fits. The D1, D1x, D2Hs, D2Xs, D70, D70s, D200, D300, D300s, D3s, and D3x also have Type II CF card slots. Thus, most SDHC to CF adapters will work in them as well.

Most SDHC to CF adapters will not work in the following cameras due to their lack of a Type II (5mm thick) CF card slot:

D40, D40x, D50, D60, D80, D90, D700, D3000, D3100, D5000, D7000

It probably won't work in the D700 since they have a single Type I CF slot which is 3.3mm thick. However, your SDHC to CF adapter is likely a Type II device which is 5mm thick.

The D100, D2H and D3 have either one or two Type II CF card slots and hence the SDHC to CF adapter fits. The D1, D1x, D2Hs, D2Xs, D70, D70s, D200, D300, D300s, D3s, and D3x also have Type II CF card slots. Thus, most SDHC to CF adapters will work in them as well.

Most SDHC to CF adapters will not work in the following cameras due to their lack of a Type II (5mm thick) CF card slot:

Just got through testing the 4Gb Eye-Fi X2 in the D3 and it works just fine but with Linted range. A link I found showed how to remove the metal shield from the CF/ SHc adaptor which apparentlly triples the range. I haven't tried in the D700 but I exoect it will work as it did in the D3.

Yes, as I said, the D3, D3s and D3x use Type II card slots which are 5mm. And SDHC to CF adapters are also 5mm thick Type II devices so they can hold a 5mm thick CF card. Hence, they work in your D3.

But I have yet to find an SDHC to CF adapter that will work in a D700 for the reason I mentioned. That being, a 5mm thick adapter will not fit in the 3.3mm D700 card slot. At least not unmodified, but I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Note: I am not referring to a Micro SDHC to CF adapter which will fit in a D700 if using a Micro SDHC WiFi card. However, Micro SDHC WiFi cards are not made by EyeFi at this time. But there are others who do make them.

Micro SDHC cards are the tiny ones used in many point and shoot cameras. They are also used by aliens as brain implants. :wink:

Yes, as I said, the D3, D3s and D3x use Type II card slots which are 5mm. And SDHC to CF adapters are also 5mm thick Type II devices so they can hold a 5mm thick CF card. Hence, they work in your D3.

But I have yet to find an SDHC to CF adapter that will work in a D700 for the reason I mentioned. That being, a 5mm thick adapter will not fit in the 3.3mm D700 card slot. At least not unmodified, but I've never heard of anyone doing that.

Note: I am not referring to a Micro SDHC to CF adapter which will fit in a D700 if using a Micro SDHC WiFi card. However, Micro SDHC WiFi cards are not made by EyeFi at this time. But there are others who do make them.

Micro SDHC cards are the tiny ones used in many point and shoot cameras. They are also used by aliens as brain implants. :wink:

LOL, got it... Thanks.

As others said - I used it on my D200 with an adapter. The range was so short that it was impractical. The price you pay for a full-metal body.

I gave it to my mother in law who isn't using it, so I might see how much better it works with the D7000.

Lurker...

Most SDHC to CF adapters (except Micro SDHC adapters) will not work in the following cameras due to their lack of a Type II (5mm thick) CF card slot...

The following Nikon cameras do have Type II CF card slots which are 5mm thick and thus CF adapters will fit...

D70, D70s, D100, D200, D300, D300s, D1, D1x, D2H, D2Hs, D2Xs, D3, D3s, D3x

In addition, not all CF adapters will work with EyeFi cards as this is an unsupported function. And some may have limited range due to adapter and/or camera body design as was pointed out.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom