Anyone tried a TC1.7 with 28-70 AFS ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Simon, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    As an option to extend a fine portrait lens (28-70), I looking at penny pinching and getting more reach from "the beast".

Anyone got any experiences with these 2 items ?

TIA

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

You'll probably end up damaging the rear element of the 28-70, if you can mount the TC at all.

3. mfrank123

mfrank123 Guest

i wouldnt try it

4. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    I carried a 28-70 all over Europe this summer along with TC-20EII. They gave me great flexability with my baggage limitations. The only drawback I had was that you cannot move below 50mm with the TC attached. Otherwise I highly recommend the combination.

5. What happens if you zoom below 50mm?

How did you control the urge to zoom out when the opportunity arose? I'd think it would be like playing golf, and trying to stop right in the middle of your backswing.

What kind of results did the 28-70 deliver with the TC-20EII dragging it down? It becomes an f/5.6 lens, and I'd think it would be pretty slow to focus. And since it needs to be stopped down to reach its sweet spot, its useful range would start at f/8. From what I've seen, even with quality primes, a 2X TC degrades image quality to a significant degree.

Considering the risks entailed, do you thing that's a very responsible recommendation? I'd think a 70-300 zoom would deliver better results at about half the cost of a TC-20EII.

6. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    You cannot zoom below 50mm. It mechanically stops.

I only used it in situations when I knew I needed to tele my shots.

I appears you already know the results, but for my purposes it worked very well as I needed the photos for training purposes and not quality. It is certainly not a lens combination that I would use for portraits.

7. I believe that's the point that Bjorn was making. It stops because the rear element of the 28-70 is banging into the front element of the TC-20EII. I don't think the increase in reach is worth risking a $1500 lens, particularly when the result yields marginal images.

8. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    :wink: Point well taken Uncle Frank and as a matter of fact I am quite careful when closing down the zoom. The 2x has a rubber bumper around the lens and you can feel the contact while down zooming to the 50mm mark. But I can see where you are coming from and apperciate your anticipation with an expensive lens.

Since my European experience however, I have relegated the 2x to duty only with my 70-200mm (a recent aquisition).

9. Glad I looked here first

10. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the warning - I'll skip this combo