Anyone tried one of these "extreme" batteries?

I think I am missing something. A genuine Nikon EN-EL15 1900 mAh battery is available from B&H for $46.99 so why would I pay $49.00 for an 'extreme' (1700 mAh) battery.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...7011_EN_EL15_Lithium_Ion_Battery_1000mAh.html

I have always used genuine Nikon spare batteries because I usually only need one spare and it is not worth trying to save a few bucks on a knockoff battery. I think if I were a pro photographer and used many batteries, I would still use genuine Nikon just to insure reliability. Cameras are $2000-$3000 so like Rick, I am reluctant to experiment.
Pete

W

Wileec

In general, I stick with Nikon batteries also. That said, I tried a third party battery for my GoPro that worked really well, so when I discovered they made a battery for the D4/D4s that is a fraction of the cost and more power - I tried them out. Initially it was to be for the grip for the D800, but my (Nikon) grip didn't like them, so I use Nikon batteries in the grip and use the others in the D4s.

I can get new, random knock off bateries for my D3 and D2x off amazon and ebay for 20 bucks. I've had one for a year now, and it's just as good as my "Nikon" battery.

Seriously, why would I pay $125 for basically the same battery with a Nikon label on it?

W

Wileec

Seriously, why would I pay $125 for basically the same battery with a Nikon label on it?

Because if you invest big money in a tool you depend on, it seems "penny wise, pound foolish" to risk using a product that may create a problem for you. Not all third party batteries are created equal, as some have discovered, and had to pay a greater price to resolve than what was "saved" getting the cheaper battery. It may come down to a pro versus a hobbyist - if you have to count on your gear, period, then you will do all in your power to make sure you can (always) provide the service one is hired to complete. It also may be that a cheap battery will work fine in "normal" circumstances, but take the same into 110 or -30 degree (F) environments and you may have a different result.

For me, I explored this road only after good experience with the brand in a lesser product. Their GoPro battery was far superior to the last generation of batteries from GoPro, as well as still being slightly more powerful than the newer ones they released with the 3+ model. Others had success using a Nikon replacement they produce in the Nikon grip for the D800. They didn't work reliably for me in the grip, but the D4 and D4s had no problem with these batteries and they hold more juice than either the original battery for the D4, or the newer one released with the D4s. It is the first third party battery I've used in my Nikon cameras. That said, I always have a spare battery or two on hand, including the one produced by Nikon.

How many times in your life has a battery failed prematurely? Seriously. Not a hypothetical situation, or what you read about a few times on the internet.

How many times has a battery actually failed before it's expected time, or not functioned properly in your experience?

In my LIFETIME, I can only remember 2 situations where I felt a battery failed prematurely. Once was a car battery. Once about 3 years ago was a flashlight battery.

For 125 dollars, I can have SIX knock off D3 batteries. I believe that far outweighs the tenth of a percent chance that a battery may fail prematurely.

Just my opinion. Nothing more. I can't knock you for wanted a guaranteed, top quality product.

How many times in your life has a battery failed prematurely? Seriously. Not a hypothetical situation, or what you read about a few times on the internet.

How many times has a battery actually failed before it's expected time, or not functioned properly in your experience?

In my LIFETIME, I can only remember 2 situations where I felt a battery failed prematurely. Once was a car battery. Once about 3 years ago was a flashlight battery.

For 125 dollars, I can have SIX knock off D3 batteries. I believe that far outweighs the tenth of a percent chance that a battery may fail prematurely.

Just my opinion. Nothing more. I can't knock you for wanted a guaranteed, top quality product.

I do not think any other Nikon branded battery costs this much, $125 for the D3 battery. They are probably old stock, overpriced and will not be purchased by me.

I do not think any other Nikon branded battery costs this much, $125 for the D3 battery. They are probably old stock, overpriced and will not be purchased by me.

Nikon D4 batteries cost even more. Close to $140.

Old thread, old camera but my second battery does not charge or calibrate anymore in an OEM Nikon charger.

My D3 needs a new battery.

Looking for more aftermarket battery reviews.

Got any for EN-EL4a?

W

Wileec

I can't speak for the D3, but I got a third party battery for the D4 and D4s that has worked well for me, and they last longer than the Nikon batteries. They are made by Wasabi and I have had good luck with them - I have two. I got them on Amazon. I did a quick search there and I don't see any by Wasabi for the D3, but there are some others that seem to be rated well, starting at $20/battery. May be some other reliable options out there. Check other forums, too, for experiences with third party options.

Good luck.

W

Wileec

From a bit of research I did, the Hahnel batteries seem to only cover a few of the consumer oriented Nikon batteries. For example, the highest end one I could find (good for the better DX and lower FX bodies, replacement for EN-EL15) was rated two stars from three people, and it amounted to the batteries being a flop for two of the three people trying them.

It maybe that they do offer more batteries than I found, but I found none that were for Nikon's top line of FX bodies (D3, D4, D4s, etc.)

W

Wileec

(Past the time limit for editing a post - thus an addition).

I did more research, and discovered that Hähnel does make a battery for the D4/D4s. This company is based in Ireland and I couldn't find this battery via main US sources (Amazon, B&H Photo/Video). Relative to the OP, they don't seem to have a battery for the D3, a replacement for the EN-EL4a.

Latest threads

Top Bottom