Anyone tried TC's on the 24-120 f4 VR?

Halftime in Central Florida, halftime RV'ing.
Jack, I don't think any of the Nikon TC's would even mount on that lens.

Really? I may be displaying ignorance here, but why not? I looked up Nikon's manual for the lens and there's no mention of any restriction. Might not provide optimal performance, but why wouldn't it mount? I can see that the light loss might render the whole thing nearly pointless, I guess, but that's why I asked. If it were true that a TC would extend the reach a bit in good light, it makes the lens even a more attractive option for a travel than it already seems. Just askin'.......

Look at the rear element on the 24-120:

D3S_9156-rear-1200.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And look at the front element on all of the TC's:

tc14eii.jpg

D3S_8703-460.jpg

Nikon__TC_20E_III_4bcf3b69ccf71.jpg

The interference between the two is what keeps that lens from being able to be used with TC's

interesting but why ??? with 1.4 it will only get you 160 or so ....... quality drop maybe hmmm as well

still I am very interested in results - will keep my eye open

interesting but why ??? with 1.4 it will only get you 160 or so ....... quality drop maybe hmmm as well

still I am very interested in results - will keep my eye open

Sometime you put a TC on a lens to extend the long side, but on a zoom there is another advantage, you change the range. It's like buying/carrying 2 lenses in one.

But that's is wishful thinking, as my Kenko 1.4 doesn't give good results on my 70-200 VRII anyway.

M

Michael Mohrmann

You would be better off getting a 70-200/4 to save on the stop and for a little extra reach. Too bad Nikon doesn't make an AF-S version of this lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom