Anyone use 2x converter w/ 70-200VR??

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by pbenedic, Mar 13, 2005.

1. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    If so, which brand? How do you like the combo? Is the AF capability still OK? How much does it slow it down? What are the implications w/ the VR on?
    Samples??

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Very brief interjection here...

The TC17E is a worthy compromise for the TC20E. The differences in AF and quality of image for the TC17E are perceptiblely better than the TC20E, while it gives just that bit more "reach" for photos than the TC14E. IMO, the TC17E is the product of more recent technology, where the TC20E is older, and somewhat less able.

That's if the reach is important and you don't want to buy more big glass.

John P.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. Flew,

Do you use a TC on your VR???

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

8. Re: "Cough", said the doctor...

That's what I read everywhere as well, so when I sprung for a TC, I went for the TC17EII as well. There is some degradation but I find it very acceptable. One nit though: you'd get 340mm f/4.8 on the 70-200 (it loses 1.5 stops, not 2 stops like the TC20EII does)

The cat pics I posted last week where taken with that combination... 8)

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    OK, I'll jump in. I basically agree with John (I know, I know, that's twice in one night ;-)). I have all three TC's, and use them regularly with the 300 2.8. I use the 1.4 the most, as it is almost as sharp as the 300 alone. The 1.7 is excellent, but isn't as sharp to me as the 1.4 or the lens by itself.

The 2.0 is definitely softer, and it looses 2 full stops (the 1.4 looses one, and the 1.7 looses 1.5 as stated in an earlier post). I do find the 2.0 to be useful in certain cases. With the D2H the 'cropability' is limited, and sometimes the extra reach of the 2.0 is better than shooting with either of the other TC's with a crop.

Frank

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Frank :

Heh. Good thing I'm going to be offline for a few days, as my head is getting bigger with each post ! Between the praise going to my head and all the spam I'm getting with offers to expand other parts, pretty soon I'm going to need my own personal ZIP code ! :shock: :twisted: :roll: :twisted: :shock:

This is exactly the area we've touched on in another thread about the "want" for the D2X. That extra resolution comes in handy for the crop in these cases. Heck, my D100 sometimes gives just that edge over the D2H for this, although you "machine gun shooters" can land more photos in total.

Tradeoffs, pure and simple. Buy big humongous glass, a high res camera, another few kilodollars of tripod, head, L-brackets, lens mounts, and a gimbel or two, then, boy howdy, you can shoot about anything. But for the rest of us, there will be the inevitable concessions that require some innovative solutions...

... which makes a lot of this rather fun, IMO.

Gotta run and pack. G'night.

John P.

11. Pat -

I recently got the TC-17, and with that purchase I now own all three Nikon TCs as well as the 70-200. As a result, I've had the opportunity to use all three with that lens and would offer the following observations:

- I rarely use the TC-20 now. There's just too much of a price to pay in terms of performance, contrast, and sharpness for me. Especially now that I've got a camera body that is less than forgiving with any lens weaknesses.

- The TC-14 works just fine, but you don't gain a whole lot with the 70-200 and you do lose a bit of sharpness until you close down the aperture to about 5.6 (IMHO). For this reason, I tend not to use it with that lens. You just don't gain all that much.

- The TC-17 converts the 70-200 into a 120-340 (roughly). This is a good range for me, and it's definitely a sharper combination than the TC-20 and 70-200. I haven't had as much time with this TC as the others, but it does appear that it should be stopped down some as well to maintain sharpness. Good balance of gain and sacrifice here, though.

- You didn't ask about this, but the TC-14 combined with the 300 f/4 is a killer combination. Great range, very little sacrifice. Perfect for birding, especially those tame ones down in Florida...

Hope this helps more than hurts!