Anyone use a light meter for wildlife or birds?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Gordon Large, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

My D2x has a very good metering system, and of course it has a histogram and "blinkies" to check results, but I still find it very difficult to get optimal exposures of difficult subjects (black and/or white birds, or BIF against changing backgrounds). I'm curious how many of you folks who shoot birds or wildlife use light meters to supplement your in-camera meters. I would like ambient and reflective spot, but no need for flash. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Gordon

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't think an incident meter would help much for difficult subjects such as white feathers; because even if the incident meter gives you a correct exposure it won't guarantee that highlights won't get blown. So unless you find the D2x spot meter inadequate and want to get one of those high-end 1-degree spot meters, I really can't see how a handheld meter would help you.