Anyone use a Sandisk Extreme III SD Card?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Huff09, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    . . . is there a noticable difference over their Ultra II card? According to the specs, it writes twice as fast. My question is whether this translates to an increase in the buffer? I'm assuming it does but wanted to make sure.

Any thoughts, help or experience would be great.

Thanks in advance!

2. I use both the 1GB Extreme III and 2GB Ultra II SDs cards in my D80, and there is no speed different or increase in the buffer. Not sure why, but both work the same for me.

3. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Chris,

Thanks for the quick response, That's exactly what I was wondering. Now I don't need to order the Extreme III card.

Since there is no increase in buffer/speed, I'm guessing the camera can only empty it's buffer so fast to begin with.

This is probably where I need to go dig out that pesky manual again. :biggrin:

Thanks again!

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Well, the D200 I had struggled to unload files when shooting at full FPS. In fact it would just lock after about 5 frames and wait for the card to catch up with the buffer....Perhaps the D80 is better or if you do not shoot high speed FPS, then you should be fine. I use all extreme III or Extreme IV cards.....

5. I would also agree and see no difference.

6. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Randy,

That's what I'm running into. I can get five or six shots off and then it locks up on my until the buffer empties.

This in only an issue because of shooting in RAW. If I drop into JPEG, especially any of the smaller sizes, and I can hold the shutter down all day long.

Out of curiosity, are you shooting RAW? Did you notice a marked increase in buffer size going to the extreme series?

Thanks for your help.

7. I'm shooting JPEGs, not in raw.

8. Mine shoots Large fine Jpg high speed to a 4 gb ex3 without problem in my d200. Raw plus Lfine it chokes . I do have an old printer with built in card reader that works fine with the 2 series but won't read the ex3 card, it just says card read error. I'll stick with the ultra 2's from now on I guess.

Oh, Transferring from the camera via the usb connection I do seem to get the data off a bit quicker, maybe? Never did a scientific controlled test, but it still isn't worth the extra money to me. ( the D200 is new to me, but I used one of each cards before for field audio... I purchased two new 3's before realizing it wasn't worth it, oh well.

9. Another benefit to the added speed of the Extreme 3 is that it will transfer photos to your computer faster too ;)

This was for me a very big factor in purchasing new cards. I tend to go a few weeks without uploading pictures sometimes, just due to my lifestyle, so when it comes time to upload files to my computer, I sometimes have up to 20gb of photos. That added speed certainly adds up ;)

Another note, the 4gb extreme 3's are great, I bought 4 of them last week to replace some aging cards starting to have some issues, and all are working flawlessly. Not to mention, they also came with a data recovery software that I haven't looked at.

Good luck.