Anyone use DXO?

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by MikeG76, Sep 21, 2008.

1. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    Hi all,
    I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with DXO? The main reason for considering this app is the blown highlight restore function.

It seems like an interesting app if it lives up to what it claims to be able to do.

www.dxo.com

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  2. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    nevermind, I just tried the trial.

I was skeptical about how to recover the blown highlights when blown highlights are just data not recorded. I believe that the highlight recovery is not for 'blown' highlights, but rather over exposed highlights, which can be corrected by other means using nearly anything else. I ran an old RAW file through that had blown highlights and it did not recover the highlights. sigh...

3. RadarPing

RadarPing

Feb 14, 2007
    Conroe, Texas
    I bought DxO version 4.5 and really liked it. Then they had a complete re-write to 5.0 and what many believe was released way too soon without any beta release. The reviews were terrible. I upgraded to 5.x and it locked up my computer. I waited for 5.3 before upgrading and it seemed to take care of a lot of issues. It's not perfect but its getting there.

The major flaw with the software is that it does not have any instructions. They have a weak copy for 4.1 but 5.x was released without any support.

I will say I see a huge difference in the photos once they are rendered through the batch. I do not do any other adjustments other than lens adjustments.

4. I tried the trial, didnt care for it much. Then again it only supports two of the lenses i own. The UI is terrible, uggly for being on mac..

5. fscherz

fscherz

Jul 28, 2007
    Austria
    I'm using it as my default (mainly batch) RAW-converter and I'm very happy with it.

It has NX2 picture quality but you don't need to adjust every picture because it choose very good standards which I adjusted only slightly for my preferences.

My main lenses (27-70, 70-300VR and 105VR) are supported. You can use it very well with lenses which are not supported but won't get automatic lens sharpening, distortion or vignetting corrected and you have to interfere therefore a bit more which is not such a problem on primes because you can create your own setting for each prime as well.

What I find great is the automatic noise correction which handles noise BEFORE RAW conversion and which is adjusted to the camera/ISO settings used in the picture.

6. Andy_F

Andy_F

May 6, 2007
    Florida (USA)
    New DxO 5.3 Release and D700

I also use DxO as my main raw converter. Very stable since most recent release v5.3. Responded to a "D700 Raw Conversion Challenge" using it on DPREVIEW. My DxO 5.3 Post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=29704953

And Jason Odell's Capture NX2 v2.1 Post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=29658548

IMHO, DxO 5.3 does a better job than NX2. Brings out more of the dynamic range and doesn't replicate the tendency toward "oversaturated orange-reds" that Nikon seems to have built into the D300/D700/D3.

If you want to play, the original NEF is provided in the very first message of this 100+ message thread. I'd venture that every raw converter known (an some I've never heard of) is represented. Interesting thread.

Regards,

7. I have to change my stance... .-)

Iv played with the new 5.3 version and the performance diffrence is positive on my system. (eventhough its a bit slow, for pushing large ammounts of files, havent tested the batch yet though) but compared to NX its a dream imo.

UI isnt that bad,iv gotten used to the look, working it in is alot faster and easier then NX (for me)

I really like the converter and the result it produces by default.... i might just buy this one. If they only made modules for the ZF lenses.. :)

Kindest

8. Andy_F

Andy_F

May 6, 2007
    Florida (USA)
    Re: DxO Instructions

They had been a little weak on instructions, but now they provide (since 5.3)both a "Users Manual" and a "Visual Guide" which you'll find in the \doc subfolder of the Main DxO Folder. Both are in Adobe .PDF format and you can either access them from "HELP" inside the software or create shortcuts to get to these two files separately.

Regards,

9. Im starting to like it even more, its similar in function and ui to c1 pro, just that it dosent crash all the time... :)

10. Andy_F

Andy_F

May 6, 2007
    Florida (USA)
    Crashes (during large batch processing at least) were addressed last week with the release of a new "build" of the software. Pick it up, if you haven't already. It's now rock stable on my Windows XP, dual processor PC.

Regards,

Andy

11. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I tried it - bought it even - and liked the results more often than not. It often brought out detail that other converters didn't match. In the end though, the DxO workflow just didn't suit me.

12. Well i have no intention of buying the new C1pro regardless if it crashes or not. DXO has worked flawless on my system thus far.

Im using Mac though.

Kindest

13. Andy_F

Andy_F

May 6, 2007
    Florida (USA)
    Could Not Have Gotten the Following Shot with Anything Else

DxO really saved this one. Should have taken my D700, but used a friend's D50 instead. Night Space Shuttle Launch last Friday . . .

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=2187607&postcount=52

I also find it indespensible with my D40X + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 "P&S" for family outings where my pro gear scares the relatives. Six "keepers" from an outing at a restaraunt for my wife's birthday last month:

http://flickr.com/photos/ajf13b2790j3p3g0g7c4/sets/72157608357467364/detail/

Terrible lighting, all at f/1.4, single WB preset reading taken as we entered dining area with a Neutral Expodisc. Only had to tweak the exposure compensation on the last one of the six and send it back thru DxO. No PP on the other five shots at all. Batch processed ~25 shots to get these -- none of the ones tossed out were technically bad -- mostly crummy expresions, etc.

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  14. MikeG76

MikeG76

Jun 11, 2008
    Middletown, NY
    I've given this program another chance. Glad I did. The workflow is so fast once you get used to it.

15. Me to, and i just bought it. (my evulation period ended today)

I dont know what made version before 5.3 slow, but 5.3 really starts up instantly and making adjustments its alot faster then in lightroom.

I really find the LR plugin useful. It can read the LR DB and browse it.

Thumbs up thus far!

16. DxO 5.3 is great. I still need Nx2 for things that need fixing that can't be done with DxO's exposure and lighting adjustments.

I've made some comparisons between directories of .nef files converted to Jpg in Nx2 and DxO. Both are outstanding, DxO is a bit faster and has the advantage of automatic distortion correction for supported lenses.

I really like it.

17. Hi Bill!

Im interested what you mean by what is not possible in DXO as far as exposure and lightning adjustments goes ?

You refering to control points ?

That is certainly something DXO cant do.

But as far as normal lightning/exposure adjustment i really think DXO does a better job.

D-ligtning has never been something that impressed me, unless i wanted a washed out effect looking a HDR image. (Im talking about salvage really bad shots.)
    Here DXO does a much better job both with NR and colors.

Ill post a example later today.

18. Hi Paul,

Exactly!

Sometimes I like to use the control points, spot healing, selection, gradient tools and the adjustment filters that are in Nx2. Of course, you can run the Jpg or Tiff output from DxO through Nx2 if you want! But I tend to go for Lightroom or CS4 then.

Though this did not start off as a really badly exposed shot, I think it shows that DxO really holds its own in difficult lighthihng conditions. Many times I prefer the output from DxO.

Capture NX2 with control points used in shadows on left and stone wall highlights.
    [​IMG]

DxO 5.3 with Distortion Correction (could use a little LR2 spot treatment in the shadows to make it more like the Nx2 version)
    [​IMG]

19. Example of Nx2 Active D-Lighting vs DxO 5.3

Here are three versions of the same .Nefs. Shot with Active D-Lighting on in very contrasty light. D300 16-85vr @ 85mm

Processed in Nx2
    422715079_dagbF-X3.jpg

Processed in DxO
    [​IMG]

And just to keep things fair - Processed in Lightroom - Adobe D2xMode1 - CA Corrected
    [​IMG]
    Image #2 is a rose in direct sun with hard to handle color for the D300

Processed in Nx2
    [​IMG]

Processed in DxO
    [​IMG]

Lightroom - Adobe D2xMode1 - CA Corrected - Sharpen Landscape
    [​IMG]

Link to unlisted test gallery

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2008
  20. Thanx Bill for the examples!

Ill provide some example soon.