Anyone use film anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Mims, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Is film all but dead?
    When I see used F5s going for $800-$900 (9 condition) it makes me wonder. The F5 is a superb camera, from what I read, and the weekend I tried one out.
    Personally I don't use film anymore, and I'm not going to go into all the reasons, but will try to summarize.
    I simply get better results with digital, for less money (not counting digital body cost) and it's a lot more satisfying. I'd gotten so frustrated with local mini labs, or having to send off the get enlargments. I liked shooting slides, but wanted prints. I simply don't have room in my house for a darkroom, and had never gotten proficient with colour printing anyway. (did ok with BW, and Ilfochrome).
    But with digital, I can print some nice prints (relatively speaking)..or if I have something really nice, have them printed by a pro lab.
    This to me, is more than which medium has more resolution...it's I'm much more satisfied with the end results. I am enjoying photography again. And that's the bottom line.
    If film cameras could do that for me, I'd still be with film.
    just my .02 worth.

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

My film camera is put away forever.

3. I still shot film when I got into digital. That lasted until I got a DSLR - a D100 in July '02. I haven't shot a single frame of film since. I have sold my beloved F4s and my F80. I have kept my FM, mostly for nostalgia, with a few Ai lenses (some of which I sometimes use on my D1x).

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I still use film for very special applications, but these are also very scarce, and mostly I then employ large-format cameras and shoot 4x5" or 6 x 17 cm panorama formats. Also my underwater cameras are non-digital (so far). Otherwise, film is pretty much obsolete for me, but I keep my LS-8000 scanner just to be sure I can handle film scans if the need arises.

For me, the much improved economy with digital is the major factor. Going digital and not using film saves me $20.000 yearly.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I agree with Bjorn, I still use film, but mostly in the larger formats. I also use film in the F5 when I need a quicker AF and faster frame rate than the D100 or in those occasional situations of really tough lighting where I don't have the time to figure out the D100's response. I've shot film so long, it's second nature and predictable, so when things get tough, I fall back to what I know will work. Over time, I'll learn the digital learning curve and then who knows. I still like large format because it forces one to slow down and think, and that is sometimes a good way to remember photographic skills forgotten in the camera-do-everything world of today.

6. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I sold all my film equipment...

on eBay so I could buy more digital equipment. Digital is quicker, cheaper and gives the photographer more control over the final product.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I am shooting digital exclusively these days, my F100 and MB15 vertical grip are on consignment at the local camera store for a modest sum of $550.00 (anyone interested?) and I don't ever expect to shoot film again.

8. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    My wife still shoots film but I gave it up with the D2H.

I prefer the digital image over slide film, digital is faster & cheaper, and I love histograms and knowing I have the image in the camera. And, I prefer the control digital gives me over the final product. For me, digital has no downside.

9. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    You folks bring up a point I'd forgotten about. Digital is cheaper for me. It allows me lots of experimentation. If the pics look awful, I just delete..and not print.
    I bought my daughter a discontinued, but still new, canon s30 digicam. I figured the costs of operating it for a year, vs conventional processing based on current shooting. The digicam pretty much paid for it's self in processing savings.
    Any thoughts I had about returning to film were pretty much deleted when I got a Nikon D70.:smile:
    I was just curious if others felt the same.

10. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    My keeper rate multiplied 10 fold since moving to digital. I guess its the ability to decide "I have the shot" rather than think "I may have but just to be sure I'll bracket" or "one for the road" You know what come to think of it I rarely bracket any shots anymore. So what i'm saying is film for me is pretty much dead. The only thing that haunts me is the question of whether we lose that much dynamic range with digital in reality.
    Unfortunatley I am one of the many who enjoys shooting real world images far to much to do any tests and lack the technical knowledge to do them even if I had the time!
    Its a question I would love a definitive answer to all the same.

11. I still shoot films, but much less nowadays. I have my Leicas loaded with B&W films. It still feels nice to go back to basic manual rangefinder operations once in a while. And very rarely I use the Xpan II for panorama.

My F6 is almost completed idle. I bought it for sentimental reason, as I believed it would be the last great film SLR.

12. I still use film for 6x17 panos and 6x7, but not very much. Digital is too much fun, and is getting better with each new generation of cameras.

13. I never used film in any serious sense (beyond P&S) before I got into digital photography.
    Since I got my D70, I found I rather like film- simply put it is quite fun to use :)
    I bought an F3- and I'm proud to be an 'amphibian' nikon shooter.
    I do find the economy of it limits the amount I shoot- I do intend to end up with a vast array of bodies...but before I really ramp up my shooting (I'm already saving by bulk loading my own film) I intend to buy my own Jobo or similar programmable Auto-Processor and a Nikon Coolscan V, 5000, or 8000...or better.
    I find film has its applications and its own feel. my camera is a manual/aperture priority F3...I have 2-3 more F3 models, and at least 2 F2 models on my wish list- I honestly have no interest in the mroe recent models.
    So for me, its a matter of being able to shift into a simpler time.

14. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    I'm shooting a contax 645AF for some studio and wedding work. Thinking about getting a used digital back for it though :)

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I shoot film, in fact I love film images, and the corporeality and permanance of archivaly processed negatives is wonderfully born out by over a century of perfection. But developing the stuff is a b- ... a bore, yeah that's the word.

Here's a film shot from last summer (which was the last time I developed any. It would be easier now, because the water would be cooler.)

[​IMG]
    Shot on HIE film with an N80, a 35mm f/2 lens and a #25 red filter.
    Developed in HC110b for 9 minutes at 68°F for an exposure index of 640.​

16. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Thats a great shot Chris, has an almost ethereal quality about the lighting in the rear.
    Really nice

17. Cherokee

Cherokee

Nov 27, 2005
    Alabama
    Film moratorium?

Hi Jeff,
    Here is one shooter that still uses film (35MM) for certain purposes even though I am heavily into digital. As to the F5, I think it is one of the best cameras Nikon has ever produced. What a shame they are no longer worth anything in the open market.
    To your original question I would say that film is not "all but dead," but its demise is visible on the distant horizon.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Thanks Chaz! The cool thing is, that etherial quality comes right from the film - it's not any kind of special effect. Film is it's own effect, and I see it being used as an artistic meduim for the forseeable future. As a commercial and reportage medium ... maybe not.

19. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I rarely print any of my photos. My computer is my "Photo Album". I have several "traditional" photo albums in a bookcase and I can't remember the last time I looked at them.

Shooting digital and NOT printing photos is a very inexpensive!