Anyone use the D2x for Sports?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by RDM3, Sep 14, 2008.

1. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I currently use a D2h for my sports work, I shot for the local newspaper and for some yearbook work, I love my D2h but I was wondering if anyone uses the D2x for their sports, if so what do you think? How does the high speed crop work for you?

How is the low light vs the D2h?

Is it worth the switch?

You can see my work at www.RobertsSportsPhotography.com

2. jStat

jStat

Dec 11, 2007
    Janesville, WI
    I dunno....would you use diapers on a 1-year old?

Seriously, though, quite a bit of photogs here use that camera for that. I don't have one myself, but yes, I do believe the upgrade would be worth it.

3. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    Thanks, sorry if I sounded stupid, I was sure many people used it for sports but I was wondering or looking for thoughts, how many people use the high speed crop option?

4. I use both on a daily/assignment, and love D2X. The D2H doesn't suck either, but in low light it's not as good as the D2X. I also always use HSC since that gives me from 3fps to get 7fps, which is very nice.

5. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    Thanks, if I can pick up a D2x at a reasonable price I will, I have my eye on a couple on ebay that look decent, but I am in no hurry so I can wait it out.

6. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    I'd be getting a D2Hs or a D300 instead to be honest.

7. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    The D2hs is not that much different than the D2h, a few minor tweaks, so it is not worth the money imho, and I like the feel of a full body and not one like the D300 with a grip, it is not the same.

8. I would check the for sale forum here first, the members here are very trustworthy.
    As far as options for a "pre-owned" D2X vs D300 or D2Xs, I vote highly for the D2X, the D2XS is very hard to find since there are many less that were sold. The D300 is a great camera, yet is built as a pro-sumer not a Pro camera, needs the addition of MB-10 grip to get beyond 3fps, has a higher # of frames rate for the shutter, YET the D300 does have a bit better high ISO response and performance. This is based upon my personal experience only.

9. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Dunno about that, I have just got a D2Hs to be backupto D300 - I used to have D2H. I'm prerty happy with D2Hs up to 1600 ISO (D2H at 800 was sucky) and the AF seems quicker too - both pretty important IMHO for sports. So, worth the extra 3-400 - I think so.

10. RDM3

RDM3

Aug 25, 2005
    Concordville, Pa
    I normally don't shoot above 1000 ISO and if I am putting out$1000 I want the 12 mp and higher Res.

11. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    fair enough, can't argue with that. Your $ goes a bit further than here downunder.

12. I switched from a D2h to a D2x for my dog agility work about a year ago. For low light, the D2x is better, but not by much. However, "crop-ability" is much improved due to the increased MP. AF is precise and color rendition is excellent. However, I really missed the speed of the D2h. I have since fixed that with the addition of a D3. For low light, it has no equal. It is simply amazing. I feel that with the D2x and D3, I can handle just about anything.

13. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Im curious about the D2h as Ive seen a few for sale here on the cafe. Im rumored to be coming into a D200 around the 8th of October and it would free me up to let my D70s go to cover the rest of a purchase of a D2h. I shoot my children playing around in the yard, shoot eagles for a few months out of the year and do some various stuff in various lit gyms through out the year also. I guess for me, aside from the speed am I going to see a huge jump in keepers from at D2h over the D70s(I almost feel silly asking the question as I have a feeling what the answer will be...or should I wait for the D300 to come down more in price?)

Im also on a tighter budget and a D2X isnt in my future. Maybe in a year or so, but not forseable future.

As a side note, Im not concerned about the 4MP sensor. I probally wont print beyond 16X20 which Im quite sure a file from the D2h would handle. Ive gotten crystal clear 20X36 prints from my D70s.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.