anyone use the sigma TC with the 150 2.8

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Randy, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    how do you like it ?
    I want more reach for the D3

2. I just bought Jim's so I'll let ya know :biggrin:!

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    some of those are extraordinary but i see a noticeable diff in ones with vs w/o the TC but it could be because they are f5.6

4. I agree (with a few of these examples). If I were printing them I'd process more carefully and they might be a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2008
  5. I have used the 150 2.8 with the 1.4TC (I do have the 2x as well, but you don't get AF using that). I did a few samples for a friend at different apertures with and without the 1.4. You can see them HERE. You don't gain that much reach, but then evry inch helps :wink:

6. Randy if you look back in this forum at my "Blue dasher close-up" and "Amberwing Dragonfly" both were taken with the 150mm and 1.4x.
    As you can see, especially in the Blue dasher shot there is no drop off in IQ.
    It's a stellar combo and I never leave home without it.
    Vince

7. husawis

husawis Guest

A question - why would you opt for the 150 and the 1.4 TC instead of the Nikon 200mm f/4? I really like both of these lenses, I wonder what a comparison of IQ would show.

8. In my informal tests the Sigma 150 outperforms every macro lens currently available in a Nikon mount. The 1.4 TC just extends its versatility. Good as the 200/4 is, it does not perform at the level of the 150 as a general purpose lens but as a macro they are pretty close. I'm a BIG fan of the 200/4 but the Sigma is better.

9. husawis

husawis Guest

Mike - thanks for that. I know that the Sigma 150 certainly out performs the 105s - both VR and non-VR, we got rid of them once we got the 150. But I was wondering if putting a 1.4 TC on the 150 which would then give you 150mm f/4 would suffer any IQ loss. I will defer to your information as I the comparison. Thanks again

10. I am sure that if you look at the samples posted by myself you'll see that there is very, very little if any drop in IQ with the 1.4 TC on the 150.