Anyone use this lens? 35/1.4 ai-s...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Pixelographer, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    I wonder why more isn't posted on this ... seems a reasonable - though manual-focus - alternative to the much higher priced 28/1.4.
    I'm looking at wide + wide-open lenses for low light interior shots.
    Thoughts appreciated.
    Dave

2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. There are many, many posts here that cover this fine lens - too many to list.
    Just do a forum "Search" for it. You can also check a listing of my previous posts, I use it lots and post remarks about it often.
    3-word summary: My favorite lens.

4. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    Frits:
    Thanks - I'll do that. It's special order only, right? What's the best way to purchase, in you opinion?
    Dave

5. Given that this is an older lens:
    - try to find one in the Cafe (for sale, or ask one for sale). This could be tough, the lens enjoys high esteem here. Those in the Cafe who have one will likely hold on to it.
    - used, from a reputed dealer. Pay a bit more, but you can trust it
    - eBay. Apply the usual caution.

Happy hunting!

6. I use it a lot, and it is definitely one of the old legends, as long as it's stopped down to at least f/2.8. It's not bad wide open, but it's awesome stopped down. If you watch KEH they typically have them about half the time.

Nikon still make this lens new. I believe new production is build-to-order. However, I seem to remember that B&H has some new old stock at around $880.

7. Pixelographer

Pixelographer

Dec 22, 2006
    All:
    Thanks for your advice. I'll read more on it but, given the demand for such lenses, I'm surprised that Nikon would discontinue the 28/1.4 (v. expensive) and have the 35/1.4 (hard to get and pricey despite MF) on special order. Makes the Sigma 30/1.4 all the more appealing in the $4-450 range.
    Regards
    Dave

8. The 28/f1.4 was made using a very expensive hand-finished process for at least one of its elements. Consequently it sold in ridiculously small numbers (under 50/month over the entire 12-year production run).

The 35/f1.4 is not hard to find used, but you have to be quick as they are in demand.

The Sigma 30/f1.4 is a VERY sharp lens; its only real drawback is that it's a digital only lens. That's not much of an issue for most of us, though.

9. I had the 35mm F1.4 MF AIS. I sold it to go all AF and I don't miss it. The 35mm F2 is a great lens and has less flare. Nostalgia is fun but AF is here to stay.