Anyone used GIMP?

Does anyone have any experience using GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)?
I've downloaded it, but haven't installed it yet. I was curious about what others thought of it.
For those that haven't heard of it, its the open source equivalent of Photoshop.
The main limitation I know of is that it can't do 16 bit images, just 8 bit. It supposed to be able to read some Photoshop plugings, but I'm not sure how well that really works.

Real Name
Chris
I've tried on three occasions to process a photo with 'the GIMP' and have given up each time because of it's really weird controls. I can tell there is some power there, but just haven't had the patience (and smarts, no doubt) to use it!

And Jonathan,
Jonathan F. said:
Yeah, it's in the cellar! :p
You've been watching Pulp Fiction too often.

I use it sometimes, like any powerfull program there is a learning curve, its not something you will pickup in a few minutes of trying.

It runs great on Linux but I havn't tried the windows version.

There is a plugin for loading nef's also, based on dcraw, can't remember the name but if your interested I will look it up.

Martin

Gimp is a good program with a great price. If you put forth the same effort to learn it as you have to with PS.. You have a winner.

Retouching forum on DPR some of them use it..

It works.

Martin - if you could point me to that plugin, that would be great.

Does you know how the features compare to Photoshop Elements or CS?

Thanks

Chris101 said:
I've tried on three occasions to process a photo with 'the GIMP' and have given up each time because of it's really weird controls. I can tell there is some power there, but just haven't had the patience (and smarts, no doubt) to use it!

And Jonathan,
Jonathan F. said:
Yeah, it's in the cellar! :p
You've been watching Pulp Fiction too often.
Bring out the Gimp!

cknight said:
Martin - if you could point me to that plugin, that would be great.

Does you know how the features compare to Photoshop Elements or CS?

Thanks
Dcraw is the raw converter and there are some front ends for it, dcraw is used by many commercial programs for raw conversion.

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

Its interesting about what he says on the raw encryption.

Rawphoto is the gimp plugin for raw files, here is the windows version.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/rawphoto.html

A google on raw gimp dcraw will get you lots of info.

Martin

I have GIMP and tried to load the plugin for
raw files and got an error message that I needed
libgimp-2.0-0.dll.

Will try it later and see what I can come up with.

I installed GIMP last night and did a little playing around. It opened my older Canon G1 jpegs OK. But when I tried to open my D70 jpegs, I get a Windows error.
Has anyone else had this trouble?

Gimp works for me

I have been using the gimp for a while. I still prefer PS, but you go with what you know. I finally decided to sit down and figure out the controls one day. I opened a file and played with all the tools and after about an hour I had it mostly figured out. Also there is an interface plug-in designed to look and work just like photoshop. It is called Gimpshop, I downloaded it but could not get the raw converter to work. Since I had already learned the new controls I dumped it and stuck with the original Gimp with the UFRaw plugin. It really is a powerful tool and you just can't beat the price.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom