Anyone used GIMP?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by cknight, May 7, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Does anyone have any experience using GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program)?
    I've downloaded it, but haven't installed it yet. I was curious about what others thought of it.
    For those that haven't heard of it, its the open source equivalent of Photoshop.
    The main limitation I know of is that it can't do 16 bit images, just 8 bit. It supposed to be able to read some Photoshop plugings, but I'm not sure how well that really works.

2. I haven't heard of it what is the URL? I am always looking for opensource stuff to help me afford more glass!

3. Yeah, it's in the cellar! :p

Just kidding, what does it do?

4. Cool,

I thought for sure it wouldn't be available on a Mac. But it is. :D

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I've tried on three occasions to process a photo with 'the GIMP' and have given up each time because of it's really weird controls. I can tell there is some power there, but just haven't had the patience (and smarts, no doubt) to use it!

And Jonathan,
    You've been watching Pulp Fiction too often.

6. I use it sometimes, like any powerfull program there is a learning curve, its not something you will pickup in a few minutes of trying.

It runs great on Linux but I havn't tried the windows version.

There is a plugin for loading nef's also, based on dcraw, can't remember the name but if your interested I will look it up.

Martin

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Gimp is a good program with a great price. If you put forth the same effort to learn it as you have to with PS.. You have a winner.

Retouching forum on DPR some of them use it..

It works.

8. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Martin - if you could point me to that plugin, that would be great.

Does you know how the features compare to Photoshop Elements or CS?

Thanks

9. Bring out the Gimp!

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
  11. Dcraw is the raw converter and there are some front ends for it, dcraw is used by many commercial programs for raw conversion.

http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/

Its interesting about what he says on the raw encryption.

Rawphoto is the gimp plugin for raw files, here is the windows version.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mplough/rawphoto.html

A google on raw gimp dcraw will get you lots of info.

Martin

12. I have GIMP and tried to load the plugin for
    raw files and got an error message that I needed
    libgimp-2.0-0.dll.

Will try it later and see what I can come up with.

13. Iliah,

Thanks for the links. That one did work, sorta.

Ray

14. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    I installed GIMP last night and did a little playing around. It opened my older Canon G1 jpegs OK. But when I tried to open my D70 jpegs, I get a Windows error.
    Has anyone else had this trouble?

15. Gimp works for me

I have been using the gimp for a while. I still prefer PS, but you go with what you know. I finally decided to sit down and figure out the controls one day. I opened a file and played with all the tools and after about an hour I had it mostly figured out. Also there is an interface plug-in designed to look and work just like photoshop. It is called Gimpshop, I downloaded it but could not get the raw converter to work. Since I had already learned the new controls I dumped it and stuck with the original Gimp with the UFRaw plugin. It really is a powerful tool and you just can't beat the price.