Anyone using a beauty dish?

My limit to date is a softbox, I have not used a beauty dish. If anyone is using it, what do you like and dislike about it?

Thanks,
Stephanie

Youngsville (The edge of nowhere), North Carolina
Beauty dishes are interesting in that you get a very unusual catchlight... kind of like a donut. I had a pair and used them a couple times but stopped... preferred a softbox and diffusion panels. But I still have the Custom WB stored in my X.

They do limit the area that's lit... kind of like a spotlight.

The AB units give a bit warmer light.

That's all I can remember.

I used a Beauty Dish and was really anxious when I bought mine. I used it quite a bit as fill but never really was that thrilled with it. Not really sure why, I guess I just liked some other modifiers better. I sold mine and don't plan on replacing it.

i hate beauty dishes.

not for the look they give, but because i've only had luck with them recently.

i always use 'em with the cover, so as to avoid the donut catchlights.

i like what i've seen people do with them, i just haven't tamed 'em. i feel like i can literally do the same setup as people, and not have it come out right. *shrug*

this is with a beauty dish, and was about 95% what i was going for.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

if i had the option, i'd definitely have one though...you just never know when a beauty dish will be just the right tool, sometimes softboxes are just too soft.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all your information; looks like it would be especially nice for male portraits. I checked the elinchrom site and its a nice touch for ladies also, I guess it would take some getting used to. I ordered a small one, can't wait to give it a whirl.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom