Anyone using a beauty dish?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by StephanieHelen, Apr 20, 2007.

1. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    My limit to date is a softbox, I have not used a beauty dish. If anyone is using it, what do you like and dislike about it?

Thanks,
    Stephanie

2. Beauty dishes are interesting in that you get a very unusual catchlight... kind of like a donut. I had a pair and used them a couple times but stopped... preferred a softbox and diffusion panels. But I still have the Custom WB stored in my X.

They do limit the area that's lit... kind of like a spotlight.

The AB units give a bit warmer light.

That's all I can remember.

3. GoGo

GoGo

Apr 20, 2006
    New York
    Mola 33

http://www.mola-light.com/

click samples

I have had a Mola diffuser for many years and would not give it up. Efficient,controlable, soft, and dirrectional light.

4. I used a Beauty Dish and was really anxious when I bought mine. I used it quite a bit as fill but never really was that thrilled with it. Not really sure why, I guess I just liked some other modifiers better. I sold mine and don't plan on replacing it.

5. Davo

Davo

May 3, 2005
    Las Vegas
    i hate beauty dishes.

not for the look they give, but because i've only had luck with them recently.

i always use 'em with the cover, so as to avoid the donut catchlights.

i like what i've seen people do with them, i just haven't tamed 'em. i feel like i can literally do the same setup as people, and not have it come out right. *shrug*

this is with a beauty dish, and was about 95% what i was going for.

DSC_1800e.

if i had the option, i'd definitely have one though...you just never know when a beauty dish will be just the right tool, sometimes softboxes are just too soft.

6. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Thanks for all your information; looks like it would be especially nice for male portraits. I checked the elinchrom site and its a nice touch for ladies also, I guess it would take some getting used to. I ordered a small one, can't wait to give it a whirl.