1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone using a Gitzo GT1541T?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by lmatney, Aug 17, 2008.

1. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi,

I am looking at getting a short tripod for traveling on a motorcycle where I can put the tripod in one of the bike's bags. The Gitzo GT1541T looks like it fits the bill nicely, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience with it.

I have a D300 and my two longest lenses are an 80-200 F2.8 and a 300 F4.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    I don't have that exact model, but I have an older 0 series Traveler just for this purpose. I think you'll find your 300 to be too much of a match for the tripod. It can handle the weight, but you need to be super careful about tipping with that lens on it. Also, weighting it down something dangling from the hook is highly advisable for added stability.

3. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if the 300 was going to be too much. The current Gitzo traveler tripods are both series 1, but I suspect that it is about the same as your series 0 model.

Adding weight is a great suggestion. At 2.1 pounds it is very light and I worry about it being top heavy with a ball head, camera and longish lens.

Thanks

4. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    Larry,

I do use a Markins M-10 with it, which helps. You REALLY need a good head (ball and on your shoulders!) to handle a lens like that, especially on the Traveler series. And yes, the 1 replaced the 0 series. Mine is carbom fiber and weighs maybe a tad more than yours. Also, know this series does not extend as far as a regular tripod, so you'll be leaning down to get shots you would get at normal eye level with a standard pod.

5. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Jeff,

I know it is a compromise. I usually take a monopod and that works well most of the time, but sometimes I really need a tripod. It looks like the Traveler series covers what I need when I can't take one of my heaver and longer tripods.

I have an older Gitzo offset ball head that I will probably try first. I came across it a few years ago and it works well for me. My longer lenses have a rotating lens mount so things keep balanced. I use it a lot on a monopod and old Gitzo aluminium tripod. If I find it too heave I'll look for a different head.

By the way, what kind of bike do you have? I have a 2002 BMW K1200LT. I love the bags that are built into the bike. I can carry quite a bit of stuff safely and don't have to worry about having things stay attached to the bike.

Thanks,

6. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    You have a gorgeous bike Larry. I'm a two wheel guy but with no motor! Bicycles are my game! Didn't mean to lead you on, can we still be friends? :Teeth:

7. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Jeff,

Of course. I use to ride bicycles a lot, but not as much over the last few years. I still have a road and mountain bike, I just don't use them enough any more.

I did go ahead and order the tripod from B&H. I think it will work well for what I need for traveling.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

8. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    I hope it helps you get great shots Larry!

9. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Hi Jeff,

Thanks much for your input. I got to play with the tripod some tonight and I am happy with it. For what I was looking at, it will work great.

I'll probably be getting another ball head in the near future. I like my old Gitzo offset ball head, but I am not comfortable going to portrait mode by moving the camera off center with this tripod.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Markins M-10. It looks very good, but I am looking at the Q-3 also. With an L-bracket on the camera either head should work well.

Take care,
    Larry

10. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    I don't think you can go wring with either head Larry.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.