Anyone using an SB-24 or SB-28 on a D300 Succesfully?

Help!

I just bought a F5 from a member here in the Cafe(Thanks GoGo!), and there was a SB-24 included in the package. I thought that I was not going to be able to use it on the D300 before the sale, but now I know it can be used somewhat.

Ok, I know that there are serious limitations to using an older flash on the new digital bodies, but can someone please tell me what will I be able to use and how. I have no clue to how to use this thing....

Thanks in advance!

If anything, you will probably have to use the flash in Manual mode...it should work though. I have and use an sb24 on my D2hs in manual and off camera with pocket wizards, etc.

The flash should work in A or M modes but I'm not sure if it will set the shutter speed for you. The camera will probably have to be in M.

Ronnie

Keith & Ronnie thank you for your response!
I've tried to use the flash in M mode, but it won't fire. It will only fire while in A mode and there is a huge shutter lag.
Do I have to change any other settings in camera to be able to use it?

No other changes. Camera in M mode and flash in A or M mode should work fine. Remember to keep the shutter speed below 1/250th. If the camera was in A mode when you had the long shutter delay you've probably got "rear curtain synch" set for the flash. The camera won't recognise there is a flash present so will want to set the shutter to a longer time for correct exposure. Just a guess.

Ronnie

Keith & Ronnie thank you for your response!
I've tried to use the flash in M mode, but it won't fire. It will only fire while in A mode and there is a huge shutter lag.
Do I have to change any other settings in camera to be able to use it?

The comment about shutter lag being tied to the flash doesn't make any sense, at least to me. The camera should not recognize that you've attached on older Nikon speedlight, therefore the delay between when you press the shutter and when the shutter begins to open is something of a mystery. Could it perhaps be associated with a delay in achieving focus because you're shooting in dim light? Do you get the same shutter delay if you remove the flash from the hot shoe?

It also doesn't make sense that the flash would fire in A but not in M unless the flash is defective. That's a real possibility I suppose, since it was thrown in sort of as a freebie. Will it fire in M on another camera?

Your new camera and old flash will not "talk" to each other, but A mode will work very well if you match the ISO and F stop on both the camera and flash. In better than 90% of ordinary flash situations A mode (not to be confused with aperture priority) will work for on-camera flash photography as well as CLS does with newer Speedlights.

Thanks everybody!

Ronnie, you were right about the shutter lag. I had it set to rear, then just switched to normal and it works fine only on A mode.

It also doesn't make sense that the flash would fire in A but not in M unless the flash is defective. That's a real possibility I suppose, since it was thrown in sort of as a freebie. Will it fire in M on another camera?
Bob, I tried the flash on the F5, and it did fire in M mode, so I know that it is not the flash. It must to be the combination with the D300. I was worried for a minute after reading your post!

This is making want to buy a flash unit really bad now, so I'll have to keep an eye out on one in the For Sale forum. I was able to produce some good results by just matching the camera setting with the ones on the flash. So for a freebie its fine by me.

I also downloaded the manual for it and in only has info up to the F4, which was not very helpful at all.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

..............snip..........
Bob, I tried the flash on the F5, and it did fire in M mode, so I know that it is not the flash. It must to be the combination with the D300. ........snip.......!
If it will fire in M mode on your F-5 and A mode on your 300, there's no obvious reason it won't fire in M mode on your 300, at least as far as I can see.

The contacts are the same for both modes, so cleaning them is not an obvious solution. I don't have a 300, but I believe the basic flash switch connecting the outer contact and center contact of the hot shoe closes each and every time the shutter operates no matter what. Therefore, the flash should fire when it's on the hot shoe.

The behavior you describe is odd and doesn't make sense. Is it possible you inadvertently partially raised the pop up when testing your flash in M mode?

Or could it be some sort of loose connection in the flash that makes it intermittent? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bob, I'll check the contacts on the flash and the D300 tomorrow. I just wish I had another flash to test it out to make sure that it is not the camera that is not working properly.

I use my SB-24 on my D80 in the A & M mode and it works perfectly. I mostly shoot in P mode or M mode. When I zoom the lens, I correspondingly change the zoom on the speedlight as well. Yes, there are limitations, but you loose some and win some..

Latest threads

Top Bottom