1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone using FourSquare softbox?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Red Bicycle, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Red Bicycle

Red Bicycle

May 13, 2008
    Australia
    Hi

My FourSquare softbox will arrive on Monday and I would like to hear about other users experience with it and see any examples of work using it.

I currently have 2 Sb-800's, a Sb-26 and a SC-29 TTL cord and plan to initially use them in SU-4 mode with a D2Xs. I plan on getting at least two more flash units probably Sb-800s and a SU-800 commander (if finances permit perhaps a radio transceiver setup). Any thoughts about which combination to use are welcome and I'm not so worried about TTL.

I plan on using this extensively while travelling but also for any commercial work that comes my way. My thoughts are that this may be very useful for indoor sports in Auto FP mode with 4 bare speedlights (not using the Sb-26)...any thoughts?

Cheers

Michael

Here is a link to the FourSquare softbox http://www.lightwaredirect.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  2. Michael,

Have you had good results with this?

Sean

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Mine arrived yesterday, and other than putting it up, I haven't shot with it. I originally got it with the same idea as you - not to use with a softbox but to have extra firepower for outdoor use with high speed synch. It remains to be seen how well the Speedlights trigger when using the softbox.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I got around to using the FourSquare yesterday. The softbox is pretty easy to assemble and had flaps at the back so you can get easy access to the flashes. Another benefit would be that if you leave them open, the IR signals stand a chance of actually getting to all four flashes. This is what it looks like from the back (flaps open):

6a010534bff638970c0120a6a01650970b-800wi.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Having all four flashes made it quite easy to use high-speed synch to illuminate my latest model, Roxy, against a Florida blue sky. This was 1/4000 at f/4.0:

6a010534bff638970c0120a6a0184b970b-800wi.jpg

Unfortunately, when I got to a real shoot later in the afternoon, the flashes would not trigger reliably, so I resorted to using a pair of Pocket Wizards (each firing two SB800's) and a shoot-through umbrella. Fortunately, the light levels were not as high and I could get away with a shutter speed less than 1/250:

6a010534bff638970c012875a26c45970c-800wi.jpg

This setup gave nice results and of course was PW-reliable! Could I have got away with less than 4 flashes? Sure - but each SB800 was at 1/4 power and recycling very quickly. The light was so nice, even the photographer jumped in for one shot :smile:

6a010534bff638970c012875a270a8970c-800wi.jpg

5. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    Thanks for sharing. I had my eye on getting the foursquare for the softbox, but also for multiplying the Speedlights for outdoor use. I have to commit to getting more speedlights before I make the plunge and look forward to hearing how effective the softbox works out for users.

6. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    That for sharing..I have been debating to pick on one if these for a long time..My buddy is buying one and what to test it out first before I commit..

So would you say CLS might be a problem and better to use some sort of wireless transceivers?

7. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Sorry one more question do you think you could over power the sun in mid day with these for a full body shot?

8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    In my experience, CLS is just plain unreliable in daylight with direct sun. My informal tests suggest that using an umbrella gives more reliable results than a soft box because it can act to bounce the IR signal back to the receivers. However, even then it can be finicky. On Saturday, it would work when I stood upright, but not when I crouched down, even though I was taking care to aim the SB900 Commander at the FourSquare. Also, remember that the IR receivers on those 4 flashes are pointing in different directions, so sometimes not all would fire. Hence, I reverted to the PWs which always work.

In answer to your second question, it is certainly possible in regular flash mode (SS at or below 1/250). In HSS flash mode of course, power is much reduced and it will depend on how close you can get the flashes and whether of not you use any modifiers.

9. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    Thanks for the info..I'll probably go ahead and order it..

10. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    My ultimate plan is to trigger with the new CLS-compatible PW's when they are eventually released for Nikon . . . Problem is that I will need 4 receivers with this puppy :eek: 

11. revoke99

revoke99

Jul 26, 2008
    Marina Del Rey
    yeah that will be cool..I ended up going the radio popper route.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.