1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone using Really Right Stuff Flash Bracket?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Bryan Pritchard, Jul 21, 2008.

1. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have the B87 package and love it. I also have the L plate because you still need to mount it to the camera. As far as scratching the camera, RRS stuff is SO well machined I don't think you'll find any sharp corners on anything they make. What amazed me is how light yet strong this stuff is. They're not inexpensive for a reason.

2. Thanks guys they both look good.......Decisions now :) 
    I jus tneed one so when I do outsid eportraits

I mean can you tell the difference when the flash is off the camera?

Bryan

3. Oh one more thing are you Nikon guys using like a SC28 or 29 to connect to the flash?

Bryan

4. I guess what I mean by scratching if its abrasive or so
    Bryan

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    The RRS bracket is well made just like all their stuff, and fits into their modular system. For instance if shooting with a telephoto lens that has it's own tripod foot, you can mount the bracket to that.

The biggest downside other than price is weight, as it is most definitely not a lightweight rig. If you're shooting handheld I think it's something to consider, as pro-level camera body + bracket + flash plus decent size lens can be pretty unwieldy and tiresome.

6. digitalzed

digitalzed

May 14, 2006
    N. Cal
    I love it but only use it on a tripod. The RRS "stuff" is hard to beat. I use the SC-29, myself.

7. Very interesting. I have the Stroboframe flash bracket but it's not very comfortable for me shooting portraits. Is this only available on RRS's website. Where else can I grab one of these?

8. I bought one but don't use it - it is large. (I have the biggest one - can't remember the number.)

9. I have the RRS Perfect Portrait bracket and think it is great. It does not scratch your camera because it mounts to the L bracket that they sell. Very easy to use in both horizontal and vertical orientation.

10. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    I have the RRS wedding flash bracket.
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/04.html
    It's not cheap....on top of that you'll need an L-bracket to attach to it.
    I love it though. It folds nice'n flat and not as bulky as other flash bracket I've seen. The portrait perfect is too large and bulky for what it does...
    I can send you a picture of my set up if you're interested.
    D3, RRS L-Bracket, RRS wedding flash bracket, SU800, SB800.

11. madone

madone

Jan 9, 2006
    Connecticut
    I have both the one you mentioned (PPP w/87B) and the Wedding Pro Flash Bracket (WPF-1)

If you are already invested in L-Brackets either is the way to go. They both have their pros/cons.

PPP: con: Heavier, bulky
    pro: QUICK flip to Horz/Vert.

WPF-1: pro, light, compact, slightly quicker lens changes
    con: a little slower int he flip AND if you are bouncing you need to re-adjust your flashhead with the flip.

With that said I tend to use the PPP 75% of the time because I am lazy and I really like the quick flipping and don't have to worry abotu the flash head angle.

RRS makes awesome stuff. There will be no scratching of gear PROVIDING you take your time when installing the PPP over an installed lens and changing lenses with the PPP already installed.

Also, if you go with the PPP, get the 87B or bigger. I started with the 85B and found it to be a little con constricting for zoom/focusing with the larger lenses, where as the 87B is a perfect size/weight/height ratio.

Hope this helps!

12. Why is it that you can only buy RRS off their website? Any other authorized dealers online?

13. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I have the RRS Perfect Portrait Package: B87-B. I use SC29 to connect. It is a great set-up. Here is a shot of the heavier (solid) B87 bracket. They accepted it back for a generous trade-up to the lighter B87-B:

136965251_iwqfi-L.

The bracket is typical RRS engineering and design; scratching will not be a concern.

14. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    It's their choice! They control sales, no middleman markup and they stand behind the workmanship. Considering the quality they demand(VERY HIGH), and the relatively low volume/high cost to manufacture, there really is no incentive for them to do anything other than web sales.

15. D300fan

D300fan

Mar 30, 2008
    Maryland
  16. I like that, once broken down, it can fit into almost any camera bag.

17. BobW

BobW

Mar 10, 2008
    Illinois
    They are just down the road from you in San Luis Obispo.

Bob

18. Thanks Bob, SLO is less than a 2 hour drive from here. I don't know if that's down the road but relatively close none the less. Should I pick one up for you since I'm down there?:biggrin:

Just Rite Brackets seems cool. I like the way your camera rotates from landscape to portraits as well. It's worth giving them a call.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.