Anyone using sensor brushes???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TOLady, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Bernie from Nexphoto has taught me about the Pecpads and Eclipse, but I'm wondering if anyone has used those new sensor brushes and how are you liking them - are they doing the job as well as you expected, etc?? We both would be game to go that route if we had some more feedback from anyone other than the manufacturers' "user comments".

2. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

I have some on the way.
    You can check Ron Galbraith, Moose Peterson, Thom Hogan sites.

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

Quite frankly at least up to this point, I am doing quite well with an
    ear syringe and in tough dust a rectal syringe.
    If needed I sill have the sensor swabs and eclipse to use.

During the past year I have not had any dust, mainly due to
    blowing off dust from the area where the lens attaches to the camera
    with a bulb blower prior to changing lenses.

Birger

3. Eeeewwwwww! :shock:

I read a fascinating article about dry brushing. The author wrote it because someone was selling it for $100.00. He thought he could do better and came up with a very long detailed article on how to do it without fluids or pads.

Essentially you use a scrupulously cleaned non-animal (sunthetic) 10-20mm wide brush. Just prior to swiping the sensor you either blow compressed air or air from a bulb across the bristles (soft, of course) creating a static charge. You swipe once, then blow again across the bristles and do again if necessary.

If I can find the post I'll add it here.

Rich

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I bought a set of these but haven't had a chance to use them yet. I'll report back here when I do, but it may be next weekend.

Frank

5. I have them but mine was sooo bad on the D70 that I sent it back to Nikon UK for a wash and brush up. Price £20. Well worth it.

Bob F.

6. Thanks Birger, let us know your opinion of them when they arrive.
    Rich, I've tried reading everything I can on these and yes, I saw the site with the $100 brushes and wondered how 'magical' they are for that price. I'm going to head over to the local makeup counter and search for brushes - will let you know what I find.
    Flew, just drop a bunch of dirt in there from a house plant and let us know - no need to wait for the weekend! *LOL*

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I HATE cleaning sensors! I use the pads and Eclipse fluid when I have to, but if there is a better way I'm all ears.
    Jarrell

8. I change lenses LOTS, but I take great care to do it quickly and covering up the back ends immediately. In practice I find that I need to clean the sensor every couple of months or so. Last year I did have a period of over 4 months without any dustbunnies at all!
    There is only one method for me: pec pads and eclipse ( and the AC adapter - no way that I would do the "Bulb" method). No big deal, takes a few minutes.

9. genec57

genec57 Guest

I have the sensor brush. It works as advertised - simple to use and effective. I couldn't be happier.

10. I have the Sensor Brush from www.visibledust.com and have used it twice. Sure, its cost is very high, but it has done the job perfectly well, in a couple of minutes, with no risk of spills nor of streaks. It is well worth an equivalent of a fine lens filter.

11. Yes Jarrell, it's not the most exciting moment of my day either!
    Frits, I try to keep all stuff out by capping the offed lens, keeping the body facing downwards, etc. Hopefully I won't be faced with doing too much cleaning.
    Thanks Gene for that input. By the way, just had a look at your site - phenomenal bird shots, they're stunning!

12. genec57

genec57 Guest

Thanks for the kind words, Sandy