Anyone using the 468MGRC2 head?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by airbiscuit, May 23, 2007.

1. So any users of the ball head mentioned? My question is, it is possible to change the whole of the plate with another plate.

What I mean is that the 468MGRC2 is using this and I want to change it to this, this or this.

Is it possible?

2. RandyB

RandyB Guest

You can replace the clamp with a RSS clamp and then use an L bracket.

3. Thanks for the replies. Any direct link for the items mentioned? I would love to try it out and as for the reasons I'm asking is that in the future I MAY be taming my lust down with the 300 2.8.

So ATM my current ball head is way too small for it with my D200.

TIA.

4. RandyB

RandyB Guest

RSS is Really Right Stuff and they have a web site, a google search will give a hit.

5. Yes, it's possible to replace the RC2 mount at least with the firs 2 mentionned first QR. The 468MGRC3 and MGRC5 are equiped with such clamps.

To replace the QR mount, just unscrew the 6mm screw at the center of the RC2 QR base with an appropriated hexagonal key and screw the new one in place using the same screw. The problem with these 2 clamps is that the 6mm threaded hole is off center, so the whole rig tends to tilt.

IMHO, it's better to replace the RC2 QR with an Arca-style clamp (which I have done). Really Right Stuff has B2 PRO II or B2 AS II clamps specialy adapted for 468/469 ballheads (i.e. with a 6mm threaded center hole). Kirk also has a specialty QR clamp QCR-9 for the 468/469.

By the way, if you intend to get a 300mm f/2.8, I think you will be better of with a gimbal (Wimberley or Jobu) or at least with a sidekick.

6. Tnx for the replies guys.

So if I get myself a gimbal, I just screw it directly to my 055 ProB tripod?

7. You're right. Just screw it directly to the tripod.

8. How about if I'm using a monopod? Any recommended heads?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.