Anyone using the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 on a D7000?

I'm looking for input and sample images from folks using the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 on a D7000. I had one of these lenses a few years ago (long before the D7000) but for one reason or another replaced it with the Nikkor 12-24 f4. This is a great lens but I always wished it went just a little wider. So, I'm thinking about switching back to the Sigma. I could not find a single image in the sample archives with the Sigma on a D7000; any thoughts and/or samples would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Don't have the 10-20, but I do have the Nikon 10.5 fisheye. Wonderful lens that takes up very little space in my bag.

If you already have the 12-24, you've got all the wide covered beyond 10.5 without duplicating. Just a thought.

Don

If I were selling the Nikkor 12-24 to go wider, I'd go for the Nikkor 10-24 over the Sigma any day of the week

Go for it, Bill. I've got one that I took on a quick vacation to New Orleans last year. At the time, I was using it on the D7000. The weather was overcast and hazy, so I never got any decent lighting, so most of my shots were pretty drab, but here's a couple quick snapshots...

DSC_1329.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC_1333copy.jpg

I no longer have the D7000, but I still have the Sigma and use it on my D5100 (same sensor). It's one of my collection of lightweight vacation lenses that I call my "Third-Party Crashers." I spent a few days in Dallas a few weeks ago and visited Dealey Plaza. I used the lens to create a 7-shot panorama of the place where JFK was assassinated. It's much too big to post, but here's a link:
http://www.theprintsofdarkness.net/Photography/Scenic/Dealey-Plaza/6882599_XLXKSZ#!i=1760337686&k=rDJkQTV

I have the D5100 instead of the D7000, but it uses the same sensor. I have the Sigma 10-20 and it works perfectly on the camera.

You should go to flickriver and type in "d7000 sigma 10-20" and you will get back a lot of photos that you can review.

Don, I actually have (and love!) the 10.5, I just find myself missing the 10mm end of the Sigma for non-fish uses.

Phil, why would you choose the 10-24 over the Sigma?

Thanks Mark, those look pretty good, particularly the second one considering it's at 10mm & f4.5.

Thanks all for your input :smile:

I'm looking for input and sample images from folks using the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 on a D7000. I had one of these lenses a few years ago (long before the D7000) but for one reason or another replaced it with the Nikkor 12-24 f4. This is a great lens but I always wished it went just a little wider. So, I'm thinking about switching back to the Sigma. I could not find a single image in the sample archives with the Sigma on a D7000; any thoughts and/or samples would be greatly appreciated :smile:

I shot this lens in Pentax mount for a couple of years, even started a thread about it @ Pentax Forums, here: http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/84539-sigma-10-20mm-club-140.html#post1885168 The link takes you to the last page of posts, click on earlier pages to ses hundreds more.

Although it is a Pentax thread, most of the last several hundred shots in here were done with the Pentax K5, which shares the same Sony sensor that is in the D7000. So, it may just offer you some help. Just remember, a lot of the shots are non-K5 too. This is a lens where operator skills are even more important IMO. Good luck. Great lens BTW.

JT

Edit: The Sigma 8-16mm is even a better lens, with less distortions. @ Pentax forums there is a thread devoted to it, with incredible, mindboggling shots: from the Sony sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bill

I posted this elsewhere . . . but may apply to your request as well.

You may wish to give the Sigma 8-16 a look. I bought this lens after parting with my Tokina 12-24 f4, and the 11-16 f2.8. I did consider the 2 Nikon's but they weren't wide enough for me.

You see, once I got used to the wide end with the Tokinas, I yearned for more !! It's always the case. Nothing is wide enough, I think. The 8-16mm opened up all sorts of possibilities and creativity that I didn't know existed before.

A good review here:
http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikko...igma816f4556dx

D

Deleted member 4116

What will samples from a D7000 vs. another crop body prove? You've obviously had seat time with the lens, if you liked it before why wouldn't you like it now?

The 8-16 is also an option if you like ultra wide but so is the 10-24.

What will samples from a D7000 vs. another crop body prove? You've obviously had seat time with the lens, if you liked it before why wouldn't you like it now?

The 8-16 is also an option if you like ultra wide but so is the 10-24.

When I had my 10-20 I was shooting the D40, and there were times I was not all that impressed with the sharpness, even after having ther rear elements replaced due to a decentering issue. Now, I realize I may have just lost that round of the Sigma QC game and got a lemon, so I was interested in the results others here on the Cafe were getting when mating the 10-20 with the higher resolution of the D7000.

I'll take a look at the 8-16, I had not considered that as an option (trying to keep this cheap :wink: ).

I rarely use my 10-20. Here's the only recent shot I can think of where I used it.

D7K_0823.1.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom