1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Anyone using WhiBal cards?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by frede, Mar 22, 2007.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I am thinking about buying the pocket WhiBal card. The reviews are glowing. Any fans? If so, what size do you use? The pocket model really looks convenient.

2. I use the highly technical, very expensive Prngl-Filter 77mm. It always give me perfect results.

3. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Prngl-Filter ??

4. "77mm Pringle filter" :biggrin: The earlier Pringles' lids used to be made out of a semi-transparent white plastic and were exactly 77mm, the size of most of my lenses. Someone did tests of the Pringle lids vs Expodiscs and a lot of folks said that the Pringles lid had truer white balance.
    I love it, use it all the time.
    Which one is the Expodisc and which one is the Pringles????
    click image for original sized version
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

5. Fred

I use the small 4 part "fan" whibal. It works great.

6. AndrewT

AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    So far I am really happy with the Lastolite Ezybalance. I have the 12" square version, but it comes in 20" and 30" as well.

The great thing is that it collapses into a really compact circle, taking up hardly any space in your bag.

7. I've also used these with great success http://www.qpcard.se/BizPart.aspx?tabId=84&tci=137
    They come in a foil pouch and are basically the same principle except they also give you a white point and black point in your initial photo as well, you can just make a simple curve and apply it to the rest of your series.

8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

no need. shoot raw, find 128/128/128 somewhere in your image in your converter, done.

9. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have one but use either a standard CC24 or mini CC24 most of the time.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I have both,

and use them quite a bit, Very handy even for raw since they have a Black, white and grey point in raw, very nice for easy color space and Wb settings.

Cheers,

Wade

11. I have the pocket card as well and am happy with it. It's strange that it wouldn't give me correct white balance in the studio environment though. Ended up getting a standard gray card from the local print shop for $5 and that seems to work better for studio lights.

12. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks everyone! :smile:

13. I use the WhiBal cards all the time and like them a lot. I also have the ExpoDisc but it doesn't get much use since I bought the WhiBal cards a couple of years ago.

14. I use it. It has become an indispensable part of my kit. I have even clipped one to each of my cameras to make sure they go with me. Since I use Raw WB is no longer an issue..one thing less to think about.

Rich

15. I have thew WhiBal card and think that it is great. :smile:

16. HSNewman

HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Maryland
    Card works very well when you can get it into same light as the scene your photographing; not always possible, like from a boat or some distant landscapes. Being an engineer, I have artisitic issue as its use will balance the scene to neutral gray even if it's illuminated by a reddish rising or setting sun.

17. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Sold! Thanks everyone! I just ordered the small one that hangs around your neck - that way I'll remember to use the darn thing. :smile:

18. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i use one EVERY time i shoot sports.... never leave the house w/o it

19. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Topher!

20. I actually have a plain WB card, no folding, no multi color, just the plain card.:redface:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.