Anyone using WhiBal cards?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by frede, Mar 22, 2007.

1. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    I am thinking about buying the pocket WhiBal card. The reviews are glowing. Any fans? If so, what size do you use? The pocket model really looks convenient.
  2. I use the highly technical, very expensive Prngl-Filter 77mm. It always give me perfect results.
  3. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Prngl-Filter ??
  4. "77mm Pringle filter" :biggrin: The earlier Pringles' lids used to be made out of a semi-transparent white plastic and were exactly 77mm, the size of most of my lenses. Someone did tests of the Pringle lids vs Expodiscs and a lot of folks said that the Pringles lid had truer white balance.
    I love it, use it all the time.
    Which one is the Expodisc and which one is the Pringles????
    click image for original sized version
  5. Fred

I use the small 4 part "fan" whibal. It works great.
  6. AndrewT

Mar 18, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    So far I am really happy with the Lastolite Ezybalance. I have the 12" square version, but it comes in 20" and 30" as well.

The great thing is that it collapses into a really compact circle, taking up hardly any space in your bag.
  7. I've also used these with great success
    They come in a foil pouch and are basically the same principle except they also give you a white point and black point in your initial photo as well, you can just make a simple curve and apply it to the rest of your series.
  8. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

no need. shoot raw, find 128/128/128 somewhere in your image in your converter, done.
  9. cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have one but use either a standard CC24 or mini CC24 most of the time.
  10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    I have both,

and use them quite a bit, Very handy even for raw since they have a Black, white and grey point in raw, very nice for easy color space and Wb settings.

11. I have the pocket card as well and am happy with it. It's strange that it wouldn't give me correct white balance in the studio environment though. Ended up getting a standard gray card from the local print shop for $5 and that seems to work better for studio lights.
  12. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks everyone! :smile:
  13. I use the WhiBal cards all the time and like them a lot. I also have the ExpoDisc but it doesn't get much use since I bought the WhiBal cards a couple of years ago.
  14. I use it. It has become an indispensable part of my kit. I have even clipped one to each of my cameras to make sure they go with me. Since I use Raw WB is no longer an thing less to think about.

15. I have thew WhiBal card and think that it is great. :smile:
  16. HSNewman

Aug 17, 2006
    Card works very well when you can get it into same light as the scene your photographing; not always possible, like from a boat or some distant landscapes. Being an engineer, I have artisitic issue as its use will balance the scene to neutral gray even if it's illuminated by a reddish rising or setting sun.
  17. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Sold! Thanks everyone! I just ordered the small one that hangs around your neck - that way I'll remember to use the darn thing. :smile:
  18. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

i use one EVERY time i shoot sports.... never leave the house w/o it
  19. frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Topher!
  20. davidzvi

Apr 30, 2005
    I actually have a plain WB card, no folding, no multi color, just the plain card.:redface: