Critique Anyone want a raspberry?

Stacking Info: 60 focus-bracketed images captured using a Tamron 90mm macro lens and CamRanger Mini set to its smallest step size (it has only three sizes). The input method was the same as Nikon's method. Stacked using Helicon Focus at its default settings. No touch up needed.

Setup: The background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp below the scene was on the right side. A flag between the lamp and the scene cast a slight shadow on the the left side of the raspberry. A white reflector above the scene displayed the fork in bright tones. A white reflector on the left brightened the fork's left shoulder, which otherwise would have been as black as the background.

Mike 2020-02-26--141-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you to Rick and Nick.

Seems a tad over sharpened.
Several possibilities: Maybe too much sharpening in the original. Maybe too much texture added to the raspberry. Maybe too much sharpening added using the preset for all downsized images (unlike the original full-size images, I don't custom sharpen the downsized images). Maybe all of the above.

Last edited:
Thank you to Rick and Nick.

Several possibilities: Maybe too much sharpening in the original. Maybe too much texture added to the raspberry. Maybe too much sharpening added using the preset for all downsized images (unlike the original full-size images, I don't custom sharpen the downsized images). Maybe all of the above.
Are you collecting raw images?

Are you collecting raw images?
Just yesterday, thanks to a discussion that took place in one of the threads, I decided that there is no point in keeping the original NEFs that were focus-bracketed. I do keep the DNG that is the stacked file that is post-processed in ACR as well as the PSD file that is created if I also use Photoshop. In this case, I did hand it off to Photoshop.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Just yesterday, thanks to a discussion that took place in one of the threads, I decided that there is no point in keeping the original NEFs that were focus-bracketed. I do keep the DNG that is the stacked file that is post-processed in ACR as well as the PSD file that is created if I also use Photoshop. In this case, I did hand it off to Photoshop.
I too am challenged with this decision. I captured 5 focus stacking sequences of those snowdrops yesterday morning. The raw files alone consumed over 8GB of storage (131 total Nikon Z7 lossless compressed NEF files). I removed some unnecessary files from the sequences and processed two sequences into TIFF files, then made two focus stacked composites. When I was done I had over 48GB of storage consumed. Ugh! I did let go of the individual TIFF files (over 200MB each) and kept the merged TIFF. Haven't given up the NEF files yet. Might do that at some point.

I too am challenged with this decision...When I was done I had over 48GB of storage consumed.
My motivation to delete the NEFs isn't the storage space, though if I looked up the amount of space they consumed I might also be influenced by that. Instead, my motivation is a desire to easily glance at a folder containing image files and to quickly understand what is what. Not so easy when there are a lot of focus-bracketed NEFs (in this case 60) just to make one final image. I suppose I could change the name of those NEFs to indicate their role but that would mean adding yet another naming profile to my nomenclature that already has at least six different profiles that I regularly use as well as a couple more that I use only occasionally.

Well deserved, too -- you presented that raspberry in such a compelling, intriguing way that it was irresistible and for anyone who loves raspberries, unforgettable....so of course when I got to the store, even though they were not on my shopping list, somehow raspberries made it into my shopping cart! :).

You've also given me inspiration to experiment with shooting raspberries, too, creating interesting images, but the only problem is -- can I manage to hold off eating the subject(s) long enough to get a shot or two?! LOL!

LOL!!!! Yep.....!!!! Actually, though, since I have a history of Anorexia, and although I am now what is presumed as "recovered," I still try to stay away from thinking about or focusing on the calorie counts of foods that I ingest. Instead, I just focus on the flavor and the texture, other pleasures.....

One of my favorite dessert delights is "Sherbet Lemons," a hard candy with a delightfully tart interior and it is as the name suggests, wholly lemon in flavor. I still love chocolate, too, though, and always will, but for a quick and light dessert it's quite nice to pop a Sherbet Lemon or two into my mouth and that satisfies the urge for a finish to the meal -- just as a handful or more of raspberries does.......

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom