Anything to get in the water! (d2X pic)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Mar 5, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Shot w/D2x/200-400VR (no TC). What a huge difference in the amt of light getting into this lens w/o the TC attached, (most noticable in low light situations like this). These crazy geese will go out onto the pond, only to break through the thin ice, then just sit there in that little hole they made, just so they can get into the water!

Being used to using Center-Weighted metering, I've been experimenting with Matrix metering lately, and find I'm underexposing much more than I used to w/CW. Taken @5:48pm on a cloudy evening, (sunset @6:33 here). Shot w/@ISO800 and underexposed by 1/2 sop, which I corrected in NC. At high(er) magnifications, yes, there is some noise, but I'm going to attribute that to my underexposure. Still doesn't look too bad at these web sizes. 10% cropped away, & resized to 25% of original. This confirms ya gotta nail the exposures! And, ya, I should'a looked at the cool 3 color, Histo, but didn't. (btw, there's still the regular Histo to look at as well).
    original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    All things considered, these look pretty good Steve. Did you use any NR?

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    *I* didn't use any NR, but Nikon did ;)

Any shot taken over ISO 400 has automatic NR ran on it, even if it's turned off in-cam, as mine is. Not sure if Nikon will stick with this setup or not. Only time will tell if they reneg & give the user the ability to truly turn if completely off in-cam with a future firmware update.