1. April 25th is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand; it commemorates those members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli (Turkey) in World War I. I talked to many people in Auckland on ANZAC Day in 2004 - I was embarassed that I'd never heard of what is essentially their most important civic holiday as Gallipoli was the first time that Australia and New Zealand ever fought in an international campaign.

The Auckland War Memorial Museum is a somber but fascinating place to visit. The one thing that will stay with me was a memorial hallway filled with names of the fallen. You walk past column after row of names, but at the end there was a sizeable blank section of stone panels reserved for future names. For now, the largely untouched surface bears only a simple inscription:

"Let These Panels Never Be Filled"

museum.

[​IMG]

memorial_web.

Sean

2. Thank you for this post......

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice images
    Thank you for the info also

4. Thanks Gale. Geoff, I can't wait to visit your country again! I keep telling my wife we need to move there...

Sean

5. joyce

joyce Guest

The soft light in the last image really evokes a peaceful feeling.

Joyce

6. Excellent and informative post! Thank you Sean.

7. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Neat set of images and commentary, Sean. Thanks for posting your shots and the pointer to Doug's thread.