AOL Hell

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bradford O, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    Anyone else experiences crashes, cutoffs using AOL 9.1? At first, I thought it was something ailing my 2-year-old Dell desktop, then the same problems with AOL cropped up on my wife's desktop, an older IBM
    Thinkpad and a new Lenovo T61. Of course, we will call AOL tech support, but I think the only surefire remedy will be to go back to earlier AOL versions that rarely gave us grief.

2. I use to have problems w/ AOL 4 years ago. I ran away and never looked back.

3. The best remedy is to find another internet service provider. That'd be my recommendation.

4. There is a reason many people have nicknamed it AOHell.....

Instead of reverting back to an earlier version, why not seek out a better solution, a different, actual ISP? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. AOHell, like Windows, seems to often make things more complicated than they really need to be....

5. i have been an AOL member since sept. of 1994.... one of their first members, in fact

however.....
    AOL 9.1 and Windows Vista.... do NOT match
    crashes.... all the time..... on every machine i've seen

i use Brighthouse Roadrunner for my ISP
    but.... AOL for my platform, on occasion
    but....
    forget about using it on Vista...

6. Oh wow

Your first problem is..

AOL?? . really.. AOL?? Like that disk thing you get in the mail???
    AOL as in dialup? A modem on a phone line?

I would think you could get DSL as cheap as AOL.

I know some people who have cable connections and still use AOL. I just don't see the use. I guess if you get used to the interface.

This is much better use of those AOL CDs. :biggrin:

http://stupidco.com/aol_throne_finished.html

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005

< mild glance >

I still use Compuserve, WinCIM even, for one simple reason. It's worked consistently all over the globe, every state, every province, even when hotels don't have WiFi/Ethernet/What-Have-You-Connections to the internet. I've been able to get dial-up in some pretty odd locations.

It's just worked for almost two decades (and I don't have to change my longstanding e-mail address).

AOL's not perhaps sexy or exciting, for some folks, it's "just worked" for a longish time... :wink:

John P.

8. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    OK! How about Comcast? Surely, it has to be far better than AOL.

9. I used to use Compuserve many, many, many years ago. I didn't even know they still existed. I figured they would have gone the way of the dinosaur a long time ago.

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Nope. Still quite functional. It's worked on dial-up in some quite obscure locations, too.

And using WinCIM 2.6.1, I only get text messages, no executables, no HTML code, no scripts. The messages are usually still quite readable, but the issues with trojans or strangely encrypted attacks are essentially nil.

Consider that the design of the chisel has worked for centuries without people thinking that it's died out. Is it so surprising that some cyber-tech lasts more than two years ? :wink:

John P.

11. Many years ago my first ISP was Prodigy, and I also had a free shell account (Pine) from the State Library of Virginia. I participated in Usenet back in the days when we were still using DOS. Eventually Prodigy and later AOHell finally adopted the Windows platform and new users began flooding Usenet. It was surprising how many of them thought that the Wide World Web and Usenet were part of AOL!!! LOL! Somewhere along the line I got an AOHell account, too. This was all on dialup. At some point I dropped Prodigy and moved over to Earthlink but kept the AOHell account as well. When it was announced that RoadRunner cable was coming to my neighborhood I was one of the first to sign up. Afterward, I kept my Earthlink dialup account for those times (frequent in the early cable days) when the cable connection would go down, and also for travel. I also found that it wasn't too difficult to continue linking to AOHell through my cable account, so did that as well for a while.

Eventually I decided to drop AOHell....and was horrified at how difficult they made that process. They really, really, REALLY wanted to hang on to their subscribers! After about a year or so of free membership I was FINALLY able to extricate myself totally. When the time came that I decided I no longer needed to use my Earthlink dialup account, it was certainly a much more civilized process to cancel it.

So, warning here: it may be really tricky to actually divest yourself of AOHell!

Depends upon what cable services/DSL services are available in your area which would be the best choice for an ISP. In Fairfax County, VA, the cable choice is Cox Communications, but across the river in Montgomery County, MD, Comcast rules. Many people prefer DSL to cable and there are more options available there.

I must say, although many people tend to cast aspersions on AOL and it has been maligned for the past several years, back in the day it really was one of the most popular entities that introduced many people to the internet at a time when it still seemed new and strange and a bit overwhelming.....

12. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    People still use AOL? :confused: