Aperture - Bibble D200 solution

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by ozarkshome, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Usind Mac G5, already had Aperture. Got a D200 so I needed a RAW solution. Noticed a post about Bibble, downloaded it to try. In the process of connecting the D200 Aperture opened automatically, I set a folder hoping it might work. Of course the pics could not be viewed. Used Bibble, pics were viewable (though certainly not all were keepers). Later in the evening after trying to figure out how to save the images using Bibble, etc. I stumbled on to the fact that Aperture had downloaded them into a directory and they were viewable in Bibble.

Weird thing is that after viewing them in Bibble when I went back to Aperture they showed there also, until I tried to do something with them. Then of course, Unsupported File or some such. :-(

I sure hope that when Apple updates Aperture for the D200 it will then work with these images okay.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm sure its only a matter of time before everyone can support the d200 raw files.

How do you like aperture overall?

Regards,

3. I am probably not even an advanced amateur so my remarks should be considered as coming from a newbie. I like Aperture on my G5 & 30" monitor. It does almost everything I usually need to do. I hardly ever use layers or curves. It is certainly easy to use and saving versions does not eat up tons of hard drive space. Only had the Mac for a few months, loving it too.

4. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    One thing I could never understand why buy high resolution cameras with pro-grade lenses and use raw converters that are capable of delivering 20 to 30% less resolution then the system provides. Compare NC and ACR resolution and colour count to those of RSE, RSP, Bibble, or Aperture.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I do have compared NC results to Bibble and it is very easy to see which of them is the better converter. That's all I need to know. My decisions aren't governed by what other people might think is "better". I do my own tests and am able to draw my own conclusions, thank you.

For a number of reasons I'm interested neither in ACR/CS2 nor Aperture, so they are not an option.

7. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    I did careful resolution tests, so did other independent folks who do this kind of things routinely. I stand by my opinion and by my question :)

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Iliah is of course entitled to have any opinion he wants as far as I'm concerned. The reverse holds for me. So this isn't a point worth discussion. I see what I can observe and that's enough for me.

10. Okay fellows

Glad you two can agree to disagree amicably. As I stated I am a newbie, just fortunate enough to be using a dual 2.7 Mac with a 30" monitor. For what I do Aperature and Bibble both have plenty of resolution on this display. Perhaps that may change in the future?

Now, I just need to figure out how to get Bibble to do what I want. Their help files are rather cryptic it seems to me. i.e.; figuring out how to batch process several files to get them down to a much smaller size?

Where is the smiley with the dunce cap?

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Larry,
    On the bibble down load page is a pdf file as well that might help.
    I have used ACR/NC/Bible.
    I can't say which is best. Depends on my image sometimes. I like all three.
    I do process more in NC....

Oh yes they have a forum there also. Eric is very helpful He will help you all you need.
    Have seen Bjorn post there as well.

(unlike NC or ACR actually)

12. JKirbs

JKirbs

Sep 6, 2005
    Hi Iliah,

Seeing as you didn't mention your own product there, i assume you were just saying that anything other than NC or ACR drops 30% resolution, or the ballpark.

Which would, ahem, include your own product.

Nice going.

Or was that just a reverse plug, thinking you could avoid tarring your own converter with such a generalised and unproven statement? If so, you do rather miss out on some PR-Lit refinement.

Feel free to post conclusive algorithm asessments here. I accept MatLab scripts. :)

(and show color deltas from a multispectral input to show there's no color noise inference in the output . . )

not bugging you personally, just i spent a while in the ad game, so if you mean something different, you need a better copywriter.

best,

- kirbs

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I really don't see how this kind of attitude fits in the discussion.:mad:

14. JKirbs

JKirbs

Sep 6, 2005
    Please forgive me any personal attitude you inferred from my post.

My defence is simple - what exactly did the OP's comments add to the discussion, or how did they fit either? J'accuse, S.V.P.

The post to which i replied was wholly opinionated with offering any actual opinion, and made implicit assertions without any substantiation whatsoever.

Why be mad over that? ??

I just asked the questions, and i thought they had a reason to be public because they were offered as factual in a discussion about a product against which the OP may quite reasonably have a bias.

Hope you're not mad any more at me.

- kirbs

15. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    If I was angry you would have known it.:wink:

There were many unsupported views in this discussion, yet you singled out Iliah's comments. Everyone is entitled to thier own opinions, and as this is a public forum are welcomed to post those as long as they are not breaking any rules. That includes yours, even if in this case it seems in to me to be biased. Bjorn and Iliah voiced thier opinons and niether produced evidence to backup thier claims.

I own copies of most of the RAW convertors on the market and have done my own tests to see which is best at what, but will keep those to myself. Bjorn and Iliah are well respected in thier own fields and rightly deserved, from what I have read from thier posts here and other places.

Thats all I will say on this matter.

16. JKirbs

JKirbs

Sep 6, 2005
    I'm hope if there will be a day, that will be private! LOL :)

No, i didn't "single out" anyone.

Iliah's comment was very sweeping, IMO, and made no reference as did Bjorn to a merely personal opinion. That was the core of my argument, though i agree with you, there's no sense in pursuing this directly now. But see also that one person backed off with their impressions, and the other honestly didn't. Bjorn has read Schopenhauer i tentatively guess.

Anyhow, i'm not out here to bust anyone's opnions, but rather, precisely because the S/N is so good here, to say my piece about anything that i think it askance to conveying information. Information may not be exclusively inferred from reputation. That's not a crusade of mine, please allow :)

As i might have said, if this wasn't clear from my original, i certainly wasn't making personal allusions, moreover i never referred to Bjorn in my post, so i feel he is irrelevant to any discussion with me about what i wrote and is unfairly being quoted in an authoritative sense, notwithstanding my respect for his work.

I just say that Iliah's original post was very sweeping, and made a statistical claim with no reference. Stats are not, IMHO, opinionation, and not so in the overall context. Please don't think that i just came here to have a go at people.

best,

- kirbs

17. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL

Why in the world do we have be so pc that we can not question another persons post. I would love to know the answer to a very good question myself.

Once in a while when someone makes a post that seems a little off the mark then I see now reason why another can not say something. He made no personal stabs.

18. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    RML was not mentioned because it is beta, not a "product" yet; and because I do not want to use each and every opportunity to make shameless plugs :)

However you can search DPR for published resolution comparisons. Or you can do your own.

19. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Ron,

After doing some research I now think there is more going on. Looks like the DPR attitude is coming to the cafe. Sad, really. Time to move on I guess.

20. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    Hi Charles
    I certainly do not want to start anything, but your question was legitimate one, and more then fair. If it does in-fact get to a point that when a statement is made and nobody can question it, then in fact you are correct.