Aperture Exposure Mode/Program Numbers?

Discussion in 'Other Raw Processors' started by StuckintheMud, May 11, 2007.

1. Greetings,
    Does anyone know how to translate the cryptic Exposure Mode and Exposure Program numbers in Aperture EXIF data in terms of in-camera settings -- specifically for the D80?

Perhaps this is the wrong forum. I will post in the Mac forum

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2007
  2. The exposure mode is an integer value that is unique to each camera representing the relevant exposure settings, for instance: program, aperture priority, shutter priority, etc. Aperture appears to have no ability to interpret this information. Some other applications translate the data into something humans can read. For instance, an identical raw image in Aperture shows a zero value in Exposure Mode where Lightroom shows that the shot was made in Aperture Priority mode.

regards

3. One more thing....

It appears that Aperture really does not even read the field. I compared a number of quick test shots with my D200 in P, A and S modes. They all show a zero value while LR correctly reports the exposure settings.

4. The plot thickens and thanks for your reply by the way. I got the following results with my D80

Full Auto -> Exposure Mode 0, Exposure Program 2
    Shutter Priority -> Exposure Mode 0, Exposure Program 4
    Aperture Priority -> Exposure Mode 0, Exposure Program 3
    Manual -> Exposure Mode 1, Exposure Program 1

5. Interesting. If I look at Metadata View: EXIF - Expanded I see Exposure Mode but none of the other fields you mention. What did you do to see those fields in the EXIF metadata?

6. Well, I clicked on the Exif button in the Info view pallet. But I have found an interesting document that relates somewhat to this discussion. There is a "standard" definition for this EXIF stuff -- probably known by all but me. The link to this document is as follows:

http://www.exif.org/Exif2-2.PDF

In it there is a definition for these fields, but either Nikon or Aperture does not seem to follow these definitions.

Eugene