Aperture for the D700

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by dwind, Aug 31, 2008.

1. dwind

dwind Guest

Or rather lack there of is forcing me to other alternatives.
    Currently I've changed my work flow to view nx and capture nx. Both run nicely on the mac pro. I also chaged my library structure. The big question is wil I go back to Aperture when it finally comes out. Their camera support for a pro product is horrible. I suspect they are waiting for a number of cameras to be out so they can ship one change incorporating all. That, to me, is non sense. They can organize their code better so they can ship individual modules and link or register them to the driver program.
    how many others have been forced to find alternate work flow becasue of the poor Aperture support?

Anyone use photo mechanic? Is it a replacement for view nx?
    Thanks
    Dennis

2. dutchtrumpet

dutchtrumpet

May 2, 2007
    Dallas
    I hacked the aperture plst file and batch convert the d700 nef files to DNG

Import the dng's to aperture.

3. dwind

dwind Guest

I thought of that also and decided it was easier to just use view and capture.
    When I want to export to mobileme I use either view or cnx to save the files as jpg then import to aperture and publish. Once in aperture I do no PP.

4. RGB Bob

RGB Bob Guest

I did the same. I hate the extra step of converting to DNG as well as the file size but I really like Aperture's workflow and library management functions. It shouldn't be too long before they support it, (I Hope!)

5. When I bought the D3 and the D300 it was very, very frustrating to go for MONTHS before finally being able to process RAW images from those cameras in Aperture. In the meantime I used CS3. I was relieved that at least with Photo Mechanic I could continue to quickly review all my images and do the preliminary culling prior to any serious processing.

I have not used View NX so cannot say whether or not Photo Mechanic works in a similar way, but I definitely have been very pleased with PM in the nearly two years that I've been using it. I primarily depend upon it for reviewing and culling images prior to taking them to the next step (which for me is Aperture; during the "down time" it was CS3). The program is actually capable of much more than that but I just haven't explored all the possibilities or tried doing anything beyond the basics.

While I was waiting for Apple to update its software so that I could work on RAW images shot from the D3 and D300 I very often shot in .jpg so that then I didn't have issues. That worked fairly well, too, but it also made me realize how much I really prefer shooting in RAW!