Aperture import question

I'm trying Aperture again, for educational purposes, and the one thing that has always bugged me about it, is that when importing from "current location" (I don't like having Aperture manage with a library file) I can never find a way to import whole folders with sub folders. In other words, it seems like you can only import files as a project from the very last sub folder... is this true ?

I keep all my photos on an external drive, and I'd love to be able to have it import my main "D300" folder which would then create all the sub folders within it such as "people" places" etc.. etc.. Seems like a terrible waste of time doing folders one by one like this. Or is there a trick I'm missing ?

Also, is it possible to have Aperture NOT create versions of a photo every time you make changes to it? Is it possible to have it keep only one single "version" , or maybe even no versions and have it use something like the xmp file you'd get in Lightroom? I really hate taking up space unnecessarily with all these "versions". For this reason, I can't stand iPhoto.

Doug

There is an option in Aperture's preferences to create a new version when you make adjustments to an image. You must have that option ticked.

Keep in mind that a version in Aperture is different than a version in iPhoto. When you create a version in Aperture, you aren't creating an actual file. The only thing that gets created are a set of instructions need to create that version. A version in Aperture takes up very little space. A version only becomes a real file when it gets exported.

As the poster above stated, there is a checkbox in Aperture's preferences under the Advanced section named: Create new version when making adjustments. Uncheck it.

As for the import, I haven't found a way to get Aperture to recursively import photos from subfolders.

Yeah, saw that option. Have it unticked. So does that mean, any adjustments being done are to only one file? That's what I love about Lightroom. You can create a "version" on the fly with a "virtual copy". Too bad about not being able to import folders recursively. Pretty silly not to have such a thing IMO. I really don't like the concept of "projects" and "albums" etc.. It over complicates things IMO. But then, I have that opinion about a lot of things with Aperture.

Doug

Thats correct. Once you uncheck that box, all adjustments will be made to only one image.

One thing I haven't tried is dragging and dropping a bunch of folders w/sub folders onto Aperture.

Tommy, thanks. Guess what though, I figured out that you can import folders recursively ! I was actually writing a little tutorial for someone whom like me, has both Aperture and LR and is trying to decide between the two. While investigating some things for him in Aperture, I discovered that when you Import using the "Import folders and projects" (shift+command(ctrl for windows I guess)+I) it will import all folders and sub folders!

This changes things a bit for me, but I still like LR better. :wink:

Doug

This changes things a bit for me, but I still like LR better. :wink:

Doug

You're welcome and I'm glad you found a solution.
I'm still trying to decide between the two myself but I'm leaning more to the Aperture side. I like LR 3 a lot, but there are some many little things in Aperture that I really like. So, for now, I'll just keep importing into both.

I have decided on A3 after using both for a while. I miss a few things in LR3 but use CS5 for those few things. The only issue I have is if I go to CS5 it brings it back as a tiff and it is a new file not an adjustment to the original one. Oh well can not have everything.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom