Aperture sharpening

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by GBRandy, May 30, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I have really tried to settle in on Aperture as my preferred PP tool.

I shoot all raw and primarily adjust levels, shadows, sharpening and crop and then export versions depending on what I am trying to do. I am struggling to understand several things within the program and am very much a newbie to it.

One thing that I noticed was the lack of sharpening the Aperture program applies versus my standard technique in PS. Is there a secondary sharpening tool or technique within Aperture that I am missing? Any guidance here?

EXAMPLE: Here is a shot I posted using aperture & its web page exporter. ....and than below it a tighter crop I did in PS CS2 and my normal sharpening techniques.

Direct from Aperture:
    [​IMG]

Cropped and processed in PSCS2
    [​IMG]

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Are you uing the edge sharpening tool in Aperture? It does not display by default. Ctrl-S will bring it up at the bottom of the Adjustments Inspector panel.

3. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    And this doc will go some way to explaining what it's all about....

4. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Perfect answers....I was not using the secondary sharpening tool. Thanks to both of you! Lots to learn in this program....here is the version through Aperture instead:

[​IMG]

5. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Excellent - I quite like that tool in Aperture and your image is a fine example of its effects.

6. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Looking good Randy!

I'm getting more and more done in Aperture which means I'm not using up so much disk space with PS versions.

7. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I have no idea what I am doing with the software yet. But the capabilities are growing on me. It is not as intuitive as I had hoped, but I think it will be worth the effort to learn. Thanks again to both of you for stepping and helping.....I appreciate that.

8. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Oh I don't know - looks like you're doing just fine!

If you fancy getting your hands a little dirty, you could try this idea for setting your default list of tools.

9. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    SWEET...I was wondering how to do that! I'll give it a whirl.....gulp

10. Once I began to get the hang of Aperture I began using it almost exclusively for my image post-processing. Once in a while I still need to do something additional in Photoshop, but I don't use it nearly as often as I once did. I haven't gotten around to upgrading to CS3 because of that, although of course I will at some point fairly soon.

11. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    Same here. I'm learning Aperture in bits and pieces. I also just found the differences between Sharpen, Sharpening, and Edge Sharpening in Aperture a few weeks ago. What a difference it makes.