Aperture sharpening

I have really tried to settle in on Aperture as my preferred PP tool.

I shoot all raw and primarily adjust levels, shadows, sharpening and crop and then export versions depending on what I am trying to do. I am struggling to understand several things within the program and am very much a newbie to it.

One thing that I noticed was the lack of sharpening the Aperture program applies versus my standard technique in PS. Is there a secondary sharpening tool or technique within Aperture that I am missing? Any guidance here?

EXAMPLE: Here is a shot I posted using aperture & its web page exporter. ....and than below it a tighter crop I did in PS CS2 and my normal sharpening techniques.

Direct from Aperture:
picture-16.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cropped and processed in PSCS2
RST_8187.jpg

Are you uing the edge sharpening tool in Aperture? It does not display by default. Ctrl-S will bring it up at the bottom of the Adjustments Inspector panel.

Jez

Are you uing the edge sharpening tool in Aperture? It does not display by default. Ctrl-S will bring it up at the bottom of the Adjustments Inspector panel.

And this doc will go some way to explaining what it's all about....

Perfect answers....I was not using the secondary sharpening tool. Thanks to both of you! Lots to learn in this program....here is the version through Aperture instead:

RSTess%20%20673.jpg

Jez

Looking good Randy!

I'm getting more and more done in Aperture which means I'm not using up so much disk space with PS versions.

I have no idea what I am doing with the software yet. But the capabilities are growing on me. It is not as intuitive as I had hoped, but I think it will be worth the effort to learn. Thanks again to both of you for stepping and helping.....I appreciate that.

Jez

I have no idea what I am doing with the software yet. But the capabilities are growing on me. It is not as intuitive as I had hoped, but I think it will be worth the effort to learn. Thanks again to both of you for stepping and helping.....I appreciate that.

Oh I don't know - looks like you're doing just fine!

If you fancy getting your hands a little dirty, you could try this idea for setting your default list of tools.

Once I began to get the hang of Aperture I began using it almost exclusively for my image post-processing. Once in a while I still need to do something additional in Photoshop, but I don't use it nearly as often as I once did. I haven't gotten around to upgrading to CS3 because of that, although of course I will at some point fairly soon.

Real Name
William Beem
Same here. I'm learning Aperture in bits and pieces. I also just found the differences between Sharpen, Sharpening, and Edge Sharpening in Aperture a few weeks ago. What a difference it makes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom