1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Aperture to Smugmug question?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by MarieBoyer, May 19, 2007.

1. I just noticed that the export preset for "original jpeg" in Aperture is set at 72 dpi. I know that setting is good for web viewing. For printing large images in smugmug (and for purposes of backing up my originals as jpegs in the highest quality), do I need to increase this preset to 300 dpi?

Thanks!

2. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    As you're exporting at the original size, this makes no difference in real terms.

Try an export at 72 then change it to 300 and try again. You'll end up with a file that's exactly the same dimensions and size.

It's when you restrict the image dimensions (i.e. 6x4") that the dpi has an effect.

3. Thanks Jez. Since it makes no real difference, I went ahead and made a 300 dpi preset for my aperture to smugmug exports.

Thanks for responding!

4. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    I left the Original Size preset alone and created dpi-specific ones for different photo sizes.

Each to their own!

:smile:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.